Adjustable Number Wahl Nib And Material Section/feed?

fountainpen51

Hello, recently I found this, the front part of the slider was broken, it moves. The feeder was like white powder, mold? I disarmed it and cleaned it with water, the section and the feed took a little brown, but it does not smell like ebonite (I scraped a bit and it came out more brown), is this celluloid or some kind of plastic? It has a somewhat odor, a little unpleasant plastic? I have tried to insert it in a modern Conklin of # 6 and it does not enter at all, nor can I write with it because there is a lot of space between the feeder and the nib. Then I have put it inside a Noodler Ahab,Noodler's feed is the same as with Conklin, it's a bit small, but with the original feed Doric and a coupling, it has worked (it is only test). I put pictures with measurements in case it helps to know the size of the nib.

From what I've read the slider can not create a new one, right?

I think it could be a #7, is there any precise way to know what number it is?

What kind of material is the section and the feeder?

I have not found this answer in particular.

Thanks

EDIT: The problem of the separation between feed and nib with the other feeds, is by the slider that protrudes a little below and does not stay flat, the feed of Doric has a recess where the slider fits. The Doric section is broken

post-139002-0-09135600-1517494986_thumb.jpg

post-139002-0-72064600-1517495169_thumb.jpg

post-139002-0-59361100-1517495181_thumb.jpg

post-139002-0-18413200-1517495193_thumb.jpg

post-139002-0-74329800-1517495202_thumb.jpg

post-139002-0-74863700-1517508164_thumb.jpg

Edited by fountainpen51

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpen51

• sidthecat

• Honeybadgers

Without the slider you have a wonderfully flexible nib. I have a couple of Dorics with busted nibs and they’re beautiful writers.

Without the slider you have a wonderfully flexible nib. I have a couple of Dorics with busted nibs and they’re beautiful writers.

Yes, they are, do you know if the grip section and the feed are made of celluloid too?

Holding a lit match next to it would be definitive. That said, I have a black one and the looks and feels like essentially the same material as the barrel.

THank you, had thought to put it next to another celluloid, but perhaps, better leave them separated, that this seems in poor condition.

I've been really interested in a doric. How flexible is the nib with and without the slider?

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I've been really interested in a doric. How flexible is the nib with and without the slider?

I only have this, but I suppose it will be like all nibs, none is equal to another. This one in particular is quite flexible, although it is a little bit harder than a super-flex Waterman that I have (I do not take them to the limit unless I know how far they go). The slider for me would always be in the highest position and flex by hand (The slider in use causes the flexible writing width to be limited) question of tastes I suppose. From what I have read the sliders are very easy to break by use, better to leave them still. If you buy only one nib, the Doric feed has different cuts than normal to fit the slider, it will not serve a standard feed unless you change it and it is not easy, at least for me.

I have a couple...one's a #3 and it's moderately flexible; the other's a #5 and it handles like a brush. It's the one I used for signing autographs last year.