The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Are New Montblancs Catering Mainly To Collectors?

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#161 Jagamov

Jagamov

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2018 - 16:41

Yes, thanks Axis for your reply.  Good information.

Sponsored Content

#162 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2018 - 18:29

I have been following this thread for some days now and have seen the effort by many to take it into a constructive direction. So this is my one and only effort:

The "CEO" jmnav is citing several times to support his view has never been a CEO of Montblanc. He was just the Head of retail for North America and in this position they called him CEO to give him some weight. All in all only a sales and marketing guy who left the organization about 5 years ago.
I have met the last 5 CEOs and several other board members in person over the last 15 years and I can assure you that every single one cares more for the technical dimensions of fountain pens (i.e. weight, balance, nib, material, ...) than you can image as they are aware that this is their DNA. The technical director and head of artisan has been with Montblanc now for 30 years and he has always been striving 100% for the best writing experience with every single edition they came up with - I have seldom seen such passion for products with other people and companies. Marketing has very few influence in the production process and only comes to work after technical aspects are decided - but with the exception of nice packaging no customer I know really cares for their texts on webpages or in ads.
Last not least Montblanc executives encourage collectors to use all pens for writing, also the high-end ones. Because they know how good these products work for writing - whether priced at 500 USD or 1.5 million USD. Btw: the highest selling FP ever by Montblanc (2.2 million) was taken into regular out of home use immediately after it was bought.
All the collectors I know use their Montblanc FPs in daily routine and we are always astonished how capable these pens are inspite of all the different materials used.
Me and many other I know use our Montblanc fountain pens because we enjoy to write with them and Montblanc people encourage us to write with them and are so glad when they see Artisan pieces in use because that's what they are made for. 

The point so eloquently stated. Thanks.

#163 Zaphodbebullbrox

Zaphodbebullbrox

Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:09

No, Montblanc does not cater to collectors.

I have bought many new Montblanc Pens and I use them daily.

Edited by Zaphodbebullbrox, 01 March 2018 - 12:15.

#164 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:04

Here. Have some of mine. If we are getting into baseball and cricket, it’s going to be awhile.

Baseball can be a leisurely sport (I once went to a Pirates game that turned out to be a pitcher's duel, so the final score was 1-0).  But it actually ends.  

Cricket, OTOH?  It apparently can go on for *days*....  And makes zero sense to me whatsoever.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#165 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,179 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:31

Baseball can be a leisurely sport (I once went to a Pirates game that turned out to be a pitcher's duel, so the final score was 1-0).  But it actually ends.  
Cricket, OTOH?  It apparently can go on for *days*....  And makes zero sense to me whatsoever.  

Apparently fence slats are involved...

#166 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:45

Apparently fence slats are involved...

~ So said Tom Sawyer...

fpn_1519875689__empty.jpg

#167 Methersgate

Methersgate

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2018 - 21:24

I own one MB. Its a 149 and I have owned it for thirty years. I sign things with it. Daily. Yes, its got a fat wet nib.

One day I will put it up for sale:

Exceptionally rare Montblanc Meisterstuck Fountain Pen. In daily use for three decades; shows signs of actual wear. Far more impressive than a shiny new one!😉. Priced accordingly!😂

Edited by Methersgate, 06 March 2018 - 21:26.

#168 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• 28,179 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:27

I own one MB. Its a 149 and I have owned it for thirty years. I sign things with it. Daily. Yes, its got a fat wet nib.

One day I will put it up for sale:

Exceptionally rare Montblanc Meisterstuck Fountain Pen. In daily use for three decades; shows signs of actual wear. Far more impressive than a shiny new one!. Priced accordingly!

I have found my tribe B) Users Unite!

#169 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 3,333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:31

I have found my tribe B) Users Unite!

~ Number yours truly among that tribe!

Tom K.

#170 Bill

Bill

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:17

Recently talked to an owner of high-end watches who was only vaguely aware that Monblanc included fountain pens among its luxury brand "accessories".

Matter of perspective, I guess.

#171 MontblancLover

MontblancLover

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:26

Hi to all! Im a newbie to this forum and this is my very first post. I dont think MB just caters to the collectors nowadays (although I do consider myself one in all fairness) and yes, some of their editions can be pricey. But they still make some other beautiful pens that are of great quality and not so high end.

But I do know a handful of people who do write with FPs on a daily basis and are not collectors at all. They just enjoy the feel of it! Its totally different. I think maybe is more of a generational thing, younger people dont tend to appreciate it since they are not accustomed to writing with them.

As for myself, nowadays my every day pen is a LeGrand Traveller in Burgundy which I simply adore. Never leave home without it! But my very first MB FP was a Greta Garbo SE when it came out in 2005, which I still have. Thats the one that started my love affair with Montblanc.

#172 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 3,333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:08

Hi to all! Im a newbie to this forum and this is my very first post. I dont think MB just caters to the collectors nowadays (although I do consider myself one in all fairness) and yes, some of their editions can be pricey. But they still make some other beautiful pens that are of great quality and not so high end.

But I do know a handful of people who do write with FPs on a daily basis and are not collectors at all. They just enjoy the feel of it! Its totally different. I think maybe is more of a generational thing, younger people dont tend to appreciate it since they are not accustomed to writing with them.

As for myself, nowadays my every day pen is a LeGrand Traveller in Burgundy which I simply adore. Never leave home without it! But my very first MB FP was a Greta Garbo SE when it came out in 2005, which I still have. Thats the one that started my love affair with Montblanc.

~ patbarrios:

Welcome to Fountain Pen Network and the Montblanc Forum!

Thank you for posting such a nice first post.

I'm not a collector and I do write with fountain pens on a daily basis.

It's great to know that your Burgundy LeGrand Traveller has been such a delightful daily writer for you.

Your Greta Garbo was a beautiful introduction to Montblanc fountain pens.

May I please ask what nibs you write with? Are they Medium (M) nibs?

As you're enjoying writing with them, they must be ideal for you.

Tom K.

#173 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• 28,179 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:28

Welcome to the board. Always glad to meet another user.

#174 MontblancLover

MontblancLover

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 14:13

Hi, Tom and thanks for such a warm welcome! The Greta Garbo has a Fine Nib, and the Traveller has a Medium Nib which although is very smooth lets too much ink trough for my taste and my writing tends to be very bold like, if that makes sense.

The best one yet has been the Heritage 1914 Goliath L.E. 1000 in Fine, which was an absolute pleasure. The flexibility of the Nib lets you write very smoothly, with a constant flow of the ink, and the strokes are the perfect size for me. Unfortunately, it is a rather large pen to carry around on a daily basis, and the piston mechanism made the refill harder when away from home. Cartridges are easier to carry!

#175 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,218 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2018 - 14:17

Welcome to FPN. I agree with you. A Fountain Pen only brings me joy when I am writing with it.

#176 MontblancLover

MontblancLover

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 14:18

Welcome to the board. Always glad to meet another user.

Likewise, Ghost Plane! Thanks. Looking forward to meeting more users and learning from this forum. So excited to have joined.

#177 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2018 - 14:28

Well, I just looked up the price of a Legrand Traveller.  And for that kind of money I bought TWO Pelikan M405s last year (including the Anthracite Stresemann) and with the remainder bought a vintage English-made Parker 51 at an auction at last summer's Triangle Pen Show -- with an OB nib -- and STILL had money left over....  

I don't consider myself "younger people" even though I didn't really grow up with fountain pens.  But I'll put those three pens up against your Legrand any day of the week.  Heck, I'll put MOST of my pens (except the cheap Chinese ones and maybe some of the Noodler's pens) up against your Legrand.

If you're happy with your MB pens, I'm happy for you.  But don't expect to see me among your numbers anytime soon.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#178 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 3,333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2018 - 15:33

Hi, Tom and thanks for such a warm welcome! The Greta Garbo has a Fine Nib, and the Traveller has a Medium Nib which although is very smooth lets too much ink trough for my taste and my writing tends to be very bold like, if that makes sense.

The best one yet has been the Heritage 1914 Goliath L.E. 1000 in Fine, which was an absolute pleasure. The flexibility of the Nib lets you write very smoothly, with a constant flow of the ink, and the strokes are the perfect size for me. Unfortunately, it is a rather large pen to carry around on a daily basis, and the piston mechanism made the refill harder when away from home. Cartridges are easier to carry!

~ patbarrios:

Thank you so much for the reply with an explanation of your nibs. I do understand what you mean about having bold handwriting.

The Great Garbo Fine nib may be an especially pleasing pen for writing.

When I read further that you write with a 1914 Fine nib I almost fell off of my desk chair.

What a treasure that must be! If someday in the future you ever feel like sharing a pen photo, please include your black 1914, as that's a remarkable pen.

It's understandable that it's a bit large to carry outside the home. I'm delighted that you write with its Fine nib.

Your posts today bring special pleasure, as you're one of those like meiers and myself who especially enjoy our pens when they're inked and in use.

With Happiness,

Tom K.

#179 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2018 - 17:51

The second "proper" MB I bought was a 147 Traveller which I got from Harrods back in 1996. I find it a fantastic pen for, what it says on the box, travelling. 2 cartridges in the pen and 6 in the case is enough for even the longest trip. Sadly I won't be buying anymore new MBs (although I always look out for good used ones) they are grossly overpriced as is everything that MB produce. Their leather goods are particularly overpriced. A MB credit card case costs, in the UK, over £230 whilst a Visconti case, also made in Italy, costs less than £20 and to be honest is better quality. I love MB pens but they are really pushing their pricing to the limit.

Peter

#180 MontblancLover

MontblancLover

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 18:35

Well, I just looked up the price of a Legrand Traveller.  And for that kind of money I bought TWO Pelikan M405s last year (including the Anthracite Stresemann) and with the remainder bought a vintage English-made Parker 51 at an auction at last summer's Triangle Pen Show -- with an OB nib -- and STILL had money left over....  

I don't consider myself "younger people" even though I didn't really grow up with fountain pens.  But I'll put those three pens up against your Legrand any day of the week.  Heck, I'll put MOST of my pens (except the cheap Chinese ones and maybe some of the Noodler's pens) up against your Legrand.

If you're happy with your MB pens, I'm happy for you.  But don't expect to see me among your numbers anytime soon.

Hi, Ruth. I did not mean to imply ‘younger’ people where not able to appreciate a fountain pen. I’m sorry if it came across that way. It was just an opinion and I didn’t mean to generalize either. As per your comment on the Pelikan and Parker, I must confess I’m totally unfamiliar with them and haven’t given them a chance. My focus is MB, I guess it comes down to personal preferences and that is why the market is full of choices.

Sponsored Content

|