Are New Montblancs Catering Mainly To Collectors?

Hanoi

I used to hang out with a bunch of Wallstreet types and most of them carry MB ballpoints. I have yet to see someone actually uses a MB fountain pen in real life.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matlock

• Ghost Plane

• jmnav

• max dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is an interesting point. I think most members of this group use our MBs but that is not true of the general public. MBs are seen as status symbols and not pens to use. It is also obvious that MB, as a company, see that as a norm which is born out by their outrages pricing policy. My father in law used to work at the Bank of England and bought his two daughters MB pens, neither of which have ever been used, that pretty well sums it up. I love my MBs but I would never dream of buying a new one (well maybe if I win the lottery :D ).

Peter

I have a few new MBs but have never paid full price for them. All of them get used, some more than others. The ones I use less are older, potentially more collectible, but the newer ones go everywhere. I use them because they are great pens, not to show off.

Given their inability to competently service a writing instrument, at least here in the U.S., I would agree with you. In the company's mind these are show pieces and no longer writing instruments. After my experiences of the past year with I will only purchase older MBs going forward and have them serviced elsewhere when needed.

I have 2 MB fps. I have not seen another like me. However these were gifts, since i cant swing that kind of cash yet. Seeing todays generation, the newest Iphone will be higher on the want list vs a MB. They still make your plane jane 149 and others, hardly worth collecting other than for your own edification.

I used to hang out with a bunch of Wallstreet types and most of them carry MB ballpoints. I have yet to see someone actually uses a MB fountain pen in real life.

I work in banking and I agree with this. If I ever see a Montblanc in the wild, it is undeniably a ballpoint. I've never seen anyone use a fountain pen in the wild ... unless I'm looking in the mirror 😳 (pen shows don't count 😃)

I think Montblanc caters for both, but as a collector who used all of his fountain pens I never take them out of my house. When out and about I would carry.. you guessed it.. a ballpoint.

Its just that youre either signing this government form or this receipt and fountain pens arent practical.

At my desk/office however I do use a fountain pen.

But it makes sense. Fountain pens are therapeutic, a hobby of sorts. Some lucky ones can adapt them to their lifestyle while others resort to them when seeking calm and quite, the serenity of it all.

Edited by Pravda

You have to remember that the fountain pen user community is a niche community and Montblanc users a much smaller subset of that niche. We sort of exist in our own echo chamber, so its hard to generalize.

In my experience, other than "Bic", 9 out of 10 people can't identify a pen manufacturer of any type of pen, much less identify Montblanc as a luxury pen maker. In an era of impermanence, whether it be writing instruments or TVs or cars or even homes, very few focus on pens as anything else but disposable items.

I use my pens ALL the time, and for all matters of life.

Montblanc in the wild? I've seen plenty of ballpoints in different meetings.

In my encounters i've seen the minister of oil and water, and the ministry of finance of a county with starwalker ball points.

I've seen lawyers in different countries with Meisterstuck, one had a 75th ann ballpoint.

My mother always has her greta ballpoint, my uncle his 149, my grandma her 144...

On a meeting once the CEO of a company had a Pelikan M1000 and a 149 with him. He was amazed at seeing me with a MB FP as well.. and you guessed it: instant friends. lol.

all in all, i do see them in the wild, but people who have them do so because they see MB ballpoints to be a status symbol... a step above the hotel's ballpoint... (i disagree... i see most ballpoints to be about the same)

Oh, is MB catering to collectors? I know 2 collectors. they dont care, for the most part, what MB produces... they'll buy it either way to keep the collection complete.

I agree with most of what you say Reed_thoughts. As to "all in all, i do see them in the wild, but people who have them do so because they see MB ballpoints to be a status symbol... a step above the hotel's ballpoint... (i disagree... i see most ballpoints to be about the same)" it reminds me that Parker have produced some 18k solid gold ballpoint pens costing well over £1,000, but they take the same refill as a Parker Jotter costing about £7. The line on the paper is identical with both. Also I have a few Parker ballpoints (not the gold ones) and a couple of MBs, the Parkers are far superior. The reverse is true of their Fountain Pens though.

Peter

a local seller laments that people aren't buying sight unseen 10 LE FPs as gifts of thanks for those helping make a 7-figure investment bank bonus cheque happen

a local seller laments that people aren't buying sight unseen 10 LE FPs as gifts of thanks for those helping make a 7-figure investment bank bonus cheque happen

Wait. Did I read what you said correctly? :huh: That the seller is seller pens that are labeled as being thank you gifts? Do you mean he has acquired these pens (previously gifts) and are now selling them, or is selling pens that are SUPPOSED to be thank you gifts? If the latter, then I have zero sympathy for the seller.

Given most of the LE pens I've seen photos of over the past 6 years in this hobby, I would say yes, MB is probably largely catering to collectors. But I'm not one of them.... I have no interest in an expensive -- often ugly -- geegaw that I can't use for its supposed intended purpose (i.e., as a writing instrument). Or else they're selling them (particularly the non-LE models) for the supposed cachet of them being "luxury" pens. And I'll put my user grade Plum Parker 51 Demi Aero up against them any day of the week and win not only for the price point (lucked into one on eBay for under $72 US) but for the writing experience.... Because, duh, it's a Parker 51.... :rolleyes:

As for their "standard" line pens? Meh. Again, I think they're overpriced for the hype (I paid about the same amount of money for TWO Pelikan M405s last year as for what I think the current market price of a MB149 is -- and both are awesome writers). The two MB pens someone had me try a few years ago? The 146 didn't have as smooth a nib as a 1960s Parker 45 I found for around ten bucks in the wild (okay, admittedly I was comparing an F nib on the 146 to the M on the P45); the 149 did have a better nib than the 146, but the pen itself was way too big and heavy for me. Plus, I'm not impressed with their marketing of something made of "precious resin" -- which is apparently "ad-speak" for "plastic prone to cracking".... :angry:

I know MB has their fans, and many people talk about how good they are for writing with. But, personally, I haven't experienced it. And choose to spend my money elsewhere.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think that sums it up perfectly Ruth. I have a couple of MBs that I bought new many years ago when they were affordable but, as I said in my previous post, I would never dream of buying a new one now. I have a few used ones that I am very pleased with but they don't come anywhere near the writing quality of any of my Pelikans. Also Pelikan still feel that they can cater for beginners and students.

Peter

Ruth, a trend happened in our lifetime where people got a massive bonus cheque from the stock market rise and bought 10 limited editions on the spot as thank you presents to people in his life.

It doesn't happen like it used to.

Other thank you were boxes of cigars, Rolexes....

The only MB I ever bought new was at a Costco in the early '90's, a Classic roller ball, black. Since all have been used,

including five fountain pens. I use a fountain pen all of the time and my friends know it. I'm the only one I know that does.

I get comments all of the time, tellers at the bank notice because of the nib width and ink colors. Working on my will lately

I used my 146 OBB with BMW Blue to sign the notarized portions. That color by the way is my favorite blue! So far.

I rarely see people using fountain pens, these days.

Why should they, I guess. It's usually keyboard, phone or ballpoint. I spot a few MB's, but mostly BP or RB.

Agree with jconn, we are a very niche group within a group.

This doesn't quite tally with your title question, re MB catering to collectors? I think the high end stuff (diamonds and platinum etc) is designed to appeal to collectors - and always has been. But, I think the straightforward FP's will still appeal to users. It must be a very small market, now - especially compared to the early days of Simplo/Montblanc, when everybody used a FP.

Enjoy

Hanoi, on 01 Feb 2018 - 12:56, said:snapback.png

I work in banking and I agree with this. If I ever see a Montblanc in the wild, it is undeniably a ballpoint. I've never seen anyone use a fountain pen in the wild ... unless I'm looking in the mirror 😳 (pen shows don't count 😃)

That's odd, since my experience is precisely the opposite. MB is a brand not many people carry around with them (with such prices, you do not want to lose your valuable possession, or to see it damaged), but whenever I do see one 'in the wild', it's always a fountain pen. Perhaps it makes a difference that I live in Germany?

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)

Maybe its not where you live but who you hang around? If all your friends had oodles of money to blow, a good chance they would know and have a few MBs.

If all your friends had oodles of money to blow, a good chance they would know and have a few MBs.

*And have no taste.

*just buy 600 Jinhao 159s

Edited by Bluey