A Couple Of Questions About The Lamy 2K

Flippy

Hi, all

I recently picked up my dream pen, the Lamy 2k. I have fallen in love with it. The design is superb, the nib is beautiful, I couldn't have asked for more. However, there are a few questions I want to ask about the pen.

1. I noticed that when I cap the pen or twist the cap while the pen is capped, there is a scratchy sandy feeling. Is this normal with Lamy 2ks? Does this damage the finish?

2. I noticed that my Lamy 2000 has already picked up a couple of scratches after a day of light usage. While this doesn't concern me, considering I've heard that 2k's will eventually have a smooth finish, does Makrolon scratch that easily? I admit shamefully that I have a couple times accidentally lightly slipped my fingernail across the surface, but I was wondering if it really scratches that easily, considering that the Lamy 2k has a reputation of being durable.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• graystranger

• Driften

• Flippy

I've noticed that feeling with the cap as well, most likely the "ears" that hold the cap in place.

As for the finish, I've noticed mine attracts discoloration, but not what I would call scratches. Given the fine texture of the pen, I find it hard to judge any sort of damage to the finish and my 2K has been put through a fair bit so far. I'm not in the habit of babying my pens as they go with me everywhere.

Hi, all

I recently picked up my dream pen, the Lamy 2k. I have fallen in love with it. The design is superb, the nib is beautiful, I couldn't have asked for more. However, there are a few questions I want to ask about the pen.

1. I noticed that when I cap the pen or twist the cap while the pen is capped, there is a scratchy sandy feeling. Is this normal with Lamy 2ks? Does this damage the finish?

2. I noticed that my Lamy 2000 has already picked up a couple of scratches after a day of light usage. While this doesn't concern me, considering I've heard that 2k's will eventually have a smooth finish, does Makrolon scratch that easily? I admit shamefully that I have a couple times accidentally lightly slipped my fingernail across the surface, but I was wondering if it really scratches that easily, considering that the Lamy 2k has a reputation of being durable.

1. Yes. I too feel exactly same if I rotate the cap when the pen is capped and I avoid doing so.

2. I have never noticed scratches on my l2k but yes my l2k is getting smoother and glossy after about 4.5 years of usage.

Why do you turn the cap after you cap it? I have never been tempted to do that on my L2K.

I also never noticed my L2K F getting scratches and after 7 months it still looked new when I sold it to replace it with a L2K with a B nib. I really like mine enough to get another one when my taste in nib width changed.

Why do you turn the cap after you cap it? I have never been tempted to do that on my L2K.

I also never noticed my L2K F getting scratches and after 7 months it still looked new when I sold it to replace it with a L2K with a B nib. I really like mine enough to get another one when my taste in nib width changed.

I don't honestly know. Mostly because I'm so use to twist pens, I kind of get into a bad habit of doing that with snap caps.

Josh

I don't honestly know. Mostly because I'm so use to twist pens, I kind of get into a bad habit of doing that with snap caps.

Josh

All of my other pens use a screw on cap, well my Vanishing Point and Fermo are capless, but the rest screw on.

The L2K is my only pen with a snap cap and I don't do that, so I Just wondered...

My guess is the gritty sound comes from the retention tabs grinding in the retention slot in the cap. Shouldnt be damaging but why? Just break that habit.

Hi Josh,

http://youtu.be/3xAT6SCUBQI

Welcome to L2K Land... I bid you welcome. :) We've been patiently awaiting your arrival... along with many others. :D

You needn't worry about that grinding glass sensation you get when capping the pen... that fades away as the pen is broken in. Mine doesn't do it any more, but she used to.

Btw, as indicated here... do NOT slap the pen around... or rotate the cap once capped... she doesn't like that... :rolleyes: ...

http://youtu.be/5rOdGpkURD8

The scratches... can be sanded out... or at least smoothed out some by GENTLY rubbing the affected area FOLLOWING THE PEN's GRAIN with a WET 10-12,000 grit sanding pad. Be EXTREMELY careful... you do not want a Coke bottle shaped L2K. :D

Give the pen a good rinse afterwards and wear latex gloves when doing it... you are dealing with fiberglass... so also give the pad a good rinse and toss the gloves (or give them a good rinse) when you're finished. :thumbup:

That said, my final advice... would be to leave the scratches... I have the advantage of having lots of experience sanding glass and Bondo from my vintage car restoration days... and it is a bit of an art. Then again, I think you could do it if you exercise care and patience.

Enjoy the pen... I know you will. :)

- Anthony

P.S.: You may want to consider keeping it in a separate slipcase or keeping it in a shirt pocket, as I do, to prevent scratches. Personally, I haven't had a problem with scratches... unless I drop it on a concrete warehouse floor. :angry:

EDITED to add P.S.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Just to follow-up... as I strongly suspected... anything can be found on YT...

http://youtu.be/kradOdGb3C0

However, DO NOT use a Brillo pad as Brian mentions here... use the finer grit sanding pads... it's a lot easier to control the outcome. ;) (And use PADS, not paper).

- A.C.

P.S.: I have no experience with a Scotch-Brite pad, so that may or may not work as well... but I would still recommend WET sanding pads. ;)

EDITED to add P.S.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Lamy has recommended to customers to use a ScotchBrite scouring pad, carefully, by lightly rubbing in the direction of the finish to restore the original finish, especially when years of use have left the Makrolon with a shiny finish. Many like this shiny patina the material gets over the years.

This advice came directly from Lamy and was reported on a posting several years ago here on FPN. I have used ScotchBrite to restore the finish on one of my 2000's perfectly. I was not removing scratches but just getting rid of some of the gloss from use. I've also seen other 2000 owners have done this successfully.

Go slow and careful whenever you do anything like this.

My first Lamy 2000 is now 4.5 years old and has no noticeable scratches on either the metal or the Makrolon. It has been used and carried for a number of years and is still perfect.

Note, using ScotchBrite is only for the Makrolon surface, I would be very careful not to contact the stainless steel grip or clip with ScotchBrite. It is an abrasive and will scratch metal.

While polycarbonate is not hard like metal, your fingernail should not scratch it at all, it is much harder than a fingernail. Football helmets and many other common tough plastics are made of polycarbonate. Makrolon is a trade mark for one manufacturer's polycarbonate product, just as Lexan is a trademark for a US manufacturer's polycarbonate.

Welcome to the Lamy 2000 fan club, I'll always have one or more.

Edited by graystranger

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

After about 1.5 years use I didn't notice any scratches before I sold it. From memory, it did have a slight grittiness if I absentmindedly screwed the cap, but I would think that's just because of the texture on barrel.

Lamy has recommended to customers to use a ScotchBrite scouring pad,...

...That advice came directly from Lamy and was reported on a posting several years ago here on FPN...

Hi GS, et al,

Thank you for this information... very helpful... I never would have believed it, the way Brian jumps through hoops to disavow himself from it. :D

I understand the concept of disclaimers... I've been in business all of my life, but if it has been publicly sanctioned by the factory... he could have... and should have... said that... and it still would not have levied any additional culpability towards him.

At any rate, thanks again for speaking up... now I won't hesitate trying a SB pad in the future. :) (Although, I also got excellent results using the 10 or 12,000 grit sanding pads).

Be well. :)

- Anthony

EDITED for text clarity.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Hi GS, et al,

Thank you for this information... very helpful... I never would have believed it, the way Brian jumps through hoops to disavow himself from it. :D

I understand the concept of disclaimers... I've been in business all of my life, but if it has been publicly sanctioned by the factory... he could have... and should have... said that... and it still would not have levied any additional culpability towards him.

At any rate, thanks again for speaking up... now I won't hesitate trying a SB pad in the future. :) (Although, I also got excellent results using the 10 or 12,000 grit sanding pads).

Be well. :)

- Anthony

EDITED for text clarity.

Anthony,

I'm not sure Brian knew what Lamy had recommended. I don't remember his video that well (I've seen all 1300+ of Brian's videos), but I found a post on FPN with the letter from Lamy recommending Scotch Bright to restore pens that had gotten "...greasy..." from use. I think the translation probably should have been "...shiny...". I think Brian's video came out before or somewhat after I found the posting with the letter from Lamy.

Whatever you do, if it does not look good, Lamy will not undo your mistake if you took it on yourself to work on your own pen.

But, you have experience with sanding fiberglass, I don't. My experience is polishing mineral, ceramic, and metal samples for microscopy, though that was some years ago, and is much different than restoring a brushed finish.

...Lamy recommending Scotch Bright to restore pens that had gotten "...greasy..." from use. I think the translation probably should have been "...shiny...".

Hi GS, et al,

This is a significant and salient observation. What we are actually discussing here are two distinctly different jobs.

Removing oily build-up that has built-up above, or on top of a surface is completely different from removing scratches from below the surface.

The former job is basically just removing dirt to reveal the original surface. The latter involves removing far more of the original surface, so that the indented scratch is evened out.

That's a much more complex and involved job... and I should have picked up on that immediately... I must be entering into my dotage ahead of schedule.

I think my previous experience with sanding glass made it all sort of rote to me and I didn't think much about it, but yes, to a novice or someone with little experience, it is a much more ambitious job to remove scratches than to even out a built-up top surface.

JOSH, JETTISON WHAT I SAID ABOUT THE SANDING... SEND IT TO LAMY or learn to live with the scratches.

Thanks, again, Gray.

- Anthony

EDITED for typo.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Barbarians.

Of course, I tend to think of everyone else as a barbarian.

:wub: .

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Barbarians.

Of course, I tend to think of everyone else as a barbarian.

:wub: .

:lticaptd:

- Anthony

Hi GS, et al,

This is a significant and salient observation. What we are actually discussing here are two distinctly different jobs.

Removing oily build-up that has built-up above, or on top of a surface is completely different from removing scratches from below the surface.

The former job is basically just removing dirt to reveal the original surface. The latter involves removing far more of the original surface, so that the indented scratch is evened out.

That's a much more complex and involved job... and I should have picked up on that immediately... I must be entering into my dotage ahead of schedule.

I think my previous experience with sanding glass made it all sort of rote to me and I didn't think much about it, but yes, to a novice or someone with little experience, it is a much more ambitious job to remove scratches than to even out a built-up top surface.

JOSH, JETTISON WHAT I SAID ABOUT THE SANDING... SEND IT TO LAMY or learn to live with the scratches.

Thanks, again, Gray.

- Anthony

EDITED for typo.

Anthony, the poster that had contacted Lamy was asking how he could restore the original brushed surface finish that had gotten smooth, not how to remove grease. I think the letter was translated from the German to "greasy" instead of "shiny", but the meaning of Lamy's letter was clear to me. The person was not interested in cleaning his pen but in restoring the brushed surface. I'm sorry if that statement mislead you. I wish I'd bookmarked that posting so I could post the link here.

Edited by graystranger

I think the Scotchbrite or "scrubby" is not as abrasive as sandpaper or micromesh. You can start out with very gentle pressure using the scrub pad and gauge it as you need to. I think part of what happens is that oils from your skin fill in the makrolon grooves and eventually solidifies. Washing may not help that much, which is why the scrubby helps.

As for rotating the cap, do NOT do that. The two clutch pins that stick out from the metal ring between the body and section fit into the cap a certain way. Rotation the cap will cause the pins to drag across the inner cap, slipping in and out of position. It's not good for the cap. For a LAMY 2000 user who has a subconscious habit of rotating the pen cap when docked over the nib, there are 2 choices: Condition yourself not to do this cap rotation, or find something else to fiddle with (like a fidget spinner).

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Hi, all

When new, the brushed finish of the 2000 is extremely sensitive. Think of it, in a cross section, as a gear with extremely tiny teeth made of fibre glass...

It can get unsettled very easily, even with the friction between the pen and a -more than normal- tight pen case. Those “scratches” can be buffed out with your fingers. Eventually, the pen is going to be polished enough so that those tiny teeth are more a trapezoid than a triangle, and the minor ‘scratches’ won’t appear as easily. Over years of constant use the surface will become extremely polished by your fingers and will become shiny and more black.