Replacement Nib: Differences Cosmetic Only?

tvradio

I'm considering at least one replacement #6 nib (probably a Jowo, either from Goulet or Anderson) for my two Jinhao pens. Any effective differences in terms of smoothness or flow between the silver, two-tone and black nib options?

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tvradio

• IndigoBOB

• Inkling13

• Fishkabob

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Stephen Brown has said on a few of his videos that some black coated nibs appeared to write drier, or noisier, or scratchier, but according to Goulet their nibs are coated then polished so the tip is not affected by the coating.

(But aren't all black nibs anyway?)

I just wanted to see if anyone here might have had any opinions or experiences one way or the other. My Jinhaos are black so a black nib might look cool, but if there's a possibility it could perform even a bit less well I wouldn't be interested.

I'll avoid the black nibs just to be safe then. Since I have no preference between silver and two-tone and either would look good with a black pen, I'll just flip a coin. Well, two coins, since I'm a happy customer of both Goulet's and Anderson's.

I have one black Goulet 1.1 mm nib and one Lamy black Broad into 1.1 mm nib. Both nibs work pretty much the same as the plain steel or two-tone nibs from Goulet or Lamy. So, can't see any difference.

Much more important, IMHO, is the ability of a fountain pen user to tune his pen (especially the nib) to the state needed for proper performance.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

The black ones have a little more feedback. It's subtle. It's definitely not a bad thing, but just a subtle difference.

I like the black coating though, and even prefer it because it gives a little extra connection to the paper since Jowo's can be quite smooth to start with and for me they can even be too smooth with the broader nibs especially.

It's not that poor quality feedback like you can get with Indian made nibs or cheaper ones in general.

The black ones have a little more feedback. It's subtle. It's definitely not a bad thing, but just a subtle difference.

I like the black coating though, and even prefer it because it gives a little extra connection to the paper since Jowo's can be quite smooth to start with and for me they can even be too smooth with the broader nibs especially.

Right now the smoothest nib I own is on my Pilot Metropolitan, which has a Japanese M nib. And it's wonderfully smooth, so much so that I was hoping to at least match its smoothness with the nib replacement on the Jinhao(s).

I am fairly new to fountain pens and don't own anything wider than the M nibs in the Jinhaos (that I want to replace), and I was considering getting a replacement M or B nib. So your comment about B nibs being quite smooth is interesting, but I'm intrigued (and a bit confused) by the idea of a nib that's too smooth. since I'm a lefty overwriter who ends up pushing my nibs around the page, maybe there's really no nib too smooth for my writing style.

Right now the smoothest nib I own is on my Pilot Metropolitan, which has a Japanese M nib. And it's wonderfully smooth, so much so that I was hoping to at least match its smoothness with the nib replacement on the Jinhao(s).

I am fairly new to fountain pens and don't own anything wider than the M nibs in the Jinhaos (that I want to replace), and I was considering getting a replacement M or B nib. So your comment about B nibs being quite smooth is interesting, but I'm intrigued (and a bit confused) by the idea of a nib that's too smooth. since I'm a lefty overwriter who ends up pushing my nibs around the page, maybe there's really no nib too smooth for my writing style.

Just to let you know, upon examination of my Black and Steel Goulet nibs, the very tip of the Black nib is not coated or has been polished down. So there should be no difference in feedback due to the nib tip.

BUT to me there always feels like a subtle difference b/n Black and Steel. Maybe the coating has an effect on the vibrations... maybe it was due to variances... I can't say for certain.

--------------------------

The Pilot Metro Mediums are pretty smooth, but mind you it's comparative to a Western Fine or MF so it's not going to be as smooth as some Western Mediums or Broads. I don't think you'll have a problem matching the smoothness of the Metro-M that with a #6 Medium whether from Birmingham pens or using a Jowo. My Birmingham Mediums are actually smoother than my Goulet Mediums, and feel more like some of my Broad Jowo nibs.

For me, #6 broads, and honestly broads in general take the smoothness to a whole new level where I could only use them in heavier pens (jinhao x450's/x750's) where the added weight increased the friction of the nib on paper increasing the feedback to a point I needed in order to have that pen-to-paper connection I like.

--------------------------

I hear ya... Well, a common concept to keep in mind with nibs is that the Wider nibs work better for those using More pressure. In the end, most people like to have some feeling of nib-to-paper connection so that they can at least perceive where the pen is on the paper :P and some like more than others .... and if you have a lighter touch then that nib-to-paper connection with a Finer nib will be equivalent to one with a heavier touch using a broader nib.

It's very common, and it happened to me, that Fountain Pen Newbies prefer broader nibs because they are so used to pressing down like with a ballpoint or even a gel pen. Fountain pens that work properly need no added pressure to put down a solid full line. New FP users develop a finesse that allows them to use less pressure shifting their preference to finer nibs. (so if you don't like a nib now because it has too much feedback from being too fine, don't ruin it with micromesh, just keep it for later ; )

But mind you, you can throw all this off by using a more lubricated ink like Sailor Jentle inks and also especially the Kiwa-Guro, one of the best inks you can buy, and the best ink for cheap paper I have ever used. These inks made my nibs so much smoother that I had to use a finer nib or else I could barely feel the paper. These inks are a great alternative to ruining your nibs with micromesh, which I never recommend unless you buy something from India or china (cheap).

It's definitely worth a try to experiment with nibs of all sizes. The drawbacks of Broader nibs is they use ink up faster and you can't write as small, BUT they do offer a different writing experience and may be something to add to the variation of your collection. Every fountain pen I own has its own personality with characteristics you can augment by varying nib and ink.

Any coating that covers the nib tipping can be a problem. I have had gold plated nibs where the tipping was also coated, which wrote somewhat 'stickily' until the gold had been worn off in writing.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

The Pilot Metro Mediums are pretty smooth, but mind you it's comparative to a Western Fine or MF so it's not going to be as smooth as some Western Mediums or Broads.

...a common concept to keep in mind with nibs is that the Wider nibs work better for those using More pressure.

... It's very common, and it happened to me, that Fountain Pen Newbies prefer broader nibs because they are so used to pressing down like with a ballpoint or even a gel pen. Fountain pens that work properly need no added pressure to put down a solid full line. New FP users develop a finesse that allows them to use less pressure shifting their preference to finer nibs. (so if you don't like a nib now because it has too much feedback from being too fine, don't ruin it with micromesh, just keep it for later ; )

... It's definitely worth a try to experiment with nibs of all sizes. The drawbacks of Broader nibs is they use ink up faster and you can't write as small, BUT they do offer a different writing experience.

Some interesting points there that are very relevant to me. Thanks so much.

I am trying to branch out take advantage of the benefits of fountain pens. I love not having to press down when writing with the Metropolitan, and I thought the reason I had to put more pressure with the Jinhaos had to do with the quality of the specific nibs; I hadn't considered it was a defining quality of broader nibs in general.

As a refugee from ballpoints and gel pens with thin sections I got the X750 and the 159 pens in order to try wider pens, thinking I'd hate them but I actually find I prefer writing with them, which shocked me. The fat 159 is 31g unposted and I'm actually okay with it, as I am with its 12mm grip. I like the lighter X750's 10mm grip too, and after using those pens going back to the 8.4mm grip of the Metro makes it seem a bit like a toy (then I adapt back after a minute). It's hard for me to say right now which grip width I prefer, but I'm definitely leaning towards a wider grip for longer writing sessions.

As for B nibs using up more ink I'm even surprised how much more ink has gotten used up by the Jinhao M pens compared to my Metro, or my Preppy. For a while I was eyeing a Kaweco Liliput with a B Bock nib as a pocket-carry pen for notes, but now I think if I'd done that I'd have ended up having to spend a not-insignificant amount of time syringing ink into cartridges for it.

As for writing small, that's something I do that I am trying to force myself to change. For many years I've written very small with 0.38mm gel pens, and invariably my writing appears more coherent and intelligible while writing than when I later revisit it. So part of my reason to try broader nibs is to teach myself to write bigger and more clearly. And I am finding that as long as I don't rush it my handwriting does seem better larger.

Edited by tvradio

Any coating that covers the nib tipping can be a problem. I have had gold plated nibs where the tipping was also coated, which wrote somewhat 'stickily' until the gold had been worn off in writing.

These Jowo nibs are supposed to be polished after coating.

I also wonder if a coating might affect, even minutely, the capillary action of the ink....

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to branch out take advantage of the benefits of fountain pens. I love not having to press down when writing with the Metropolitan, and I thought the reason I had to put more pressure with the Jinhaos had to do with the quality of the specific nibs; I hadn't considered it was a defining quality of broader nibs in general.

Goulet also sell Bock Titan nibs. You can get the Karas Kustoms Ink pen (which is quite good IMO) with the Titan nib. They are also sold as nib-and-feed modules for the Ink (and also fit most Bexley pens), but you can easily take that module apart for the #6 nib. It's a flexible titanium nib that is sensitive and responsive to pressure applied, and it can add some classical fountain pen character to your handwriting.

Thanks. I ended up ordering a Jowo nib in B (in plain silver color) from AndersonPens and it's in transit to me.

I'm in the process of finishing off some Diamine Chocolate Brown in my Jinhao x750 and when I do I'll clean everything out and swap in the B nib. I think I'll christen it with the sample of Monteverde Olivine that @silverdragonia gave me the other day.