Repair Service Recommendations - Parker Streamlined Duofold Deluxe

DJRhino

Hello!

I am new to the forums, and am seeking advice/sources for repairing a family heirloom - A Duofold Deluxe in the green color.

My grandfather owned this pen, and, used it during his time as a pharmacist when he started his career in the 30s. His name was engraved on the barrel of the pen, and appears to have been guilded (gold font) at one point.

The pen was passed down to me years ago, and has been in my desk drawer. I have wanted to repair it for some time and refurbish it to writing condition (if possible).

Given the pen's age and condition, I am imagining that repairs need to be done correctly, and by someone who has experience with these models. My understanding is that on some older pens, if repaired incorrectly, it could ruin the chances of the pen working properly.

My ask of the community is...who do you recommend for servicing/repairing fountain pens of this vintage? Specifically, the streamlined Duofold Deluxe line?

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Edited by DJRhino

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DJRhino

• FarmBoy

• Ron Z

Top Posters In This Topic

Photos for reference...

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i370/djslickmix/Senior%20Parker%20Duofold/IMG_0640_zpszfouna81.jpg

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i370/djslickmix/Senior%20Parker%20Duofold/IMG_0645_zps4idwg2lp.jpg

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i370/djslickmix/Senior%20Parker%20Duofold/IMG_0642_zpsdvmpxmm0.jpg

A green streamlined Duofold Deluxe (3 cap bands). Discolored unless your camera color balance is off, but in decent shape.

I find that the streamlined Duofolds thike these hold my interest a bit more than the flat tops, though the flat top is one of the most copied pen designs of all time. I might let my flat tops go some day (except for my first one) but the streamlined pens will be the last to go. Parker made their Big Red ballpoints as a copy of the streamlined pens. I remember seeing the ads 46 years ago or so and thinking that I really wanted one, but said to myself, "But I bet they're long gone....." Even after pruning the collection I have half a dozen or so. Little did I now that I'd be repairing pens for a living.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Ron didn't mention two things.

First, I notice the bottom cap band needs attention in that it should be straightened and reswaged. This is a somewhat specialized repair.

Second Ron does such repairs.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Awesome. Thank you! Very appreciative of the info. I have zero knowledge on these. And, from the very brief photos I was able to find online, I clearly mis-identified the pen model. :)

And, perhaps the flash is off on my iPhone - it was rather harsh light from the flash. I can try to shoot some pics in more natural light to see the coloring/condition.

However, I am eager to know more - and - am curious if these are serviceable?

Ron - I will connect with you to ask a few questions/get opinion on pricing for repair.

I enjoy writing with fountain pens. It would give me a huge sense of pride being able to write with the same pen my Grandpa used. Unfortunately, he passed away when I was two - never got to know him/don't remember him (too young) - so this holds a special place for me in my heart.

Pen is certainly repairable. Likely just needs a new sac, some cleaning, and the cap band addressed. All the internals can be replaced if needed.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.