Some Photos By The Finnish Army Ic Photographers Of Fountain Pens In Use (Winter & Continuation War)

mana

Hi, just thought to post some pictures that were taken by Information Company (IC) photographers of the Finnish Army (Finnish Defence Forces of today) during the Winter War (1939-1940) and Continuation War (1941-1944).

The pictures come from the SA-KUVA site (http://sa-kuva.fi) where they were released to public domain about ten years ago. You can use them for non-commercial use as long a proper attribution is provided (SA-KUVA).

I went through the photos and found quite a few sightings of Pelikans and some other pens of that era. Thought they might be of interest to some of you. :)

The pictures provided are in the order of appearance.

Pr6doWq.jpg

cK0Gyfb.jpg

mCRcZn4.jpg

SeCiKqL.jpg

Bcygl1R.jpg

1edCZDH.jpg

aIjBaSN.jpg

5CzJDyQ.jpg

NCH5gam.jpg

HFzgiO2.jpg

D8XmzUH.jpg

SQGTh1n.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mana

• Parker51

• grainweevil

• MarcinEck

Also, there appears to be a Parker in one of the photos.

Could be. :)

I recognized:

- Many a Pelikan 100 (could be 100N too),

- Auch Pelikan on few of the pics,

- IBIS, could also be Rappen though...

I recognized:

- Many a Pelikan 100 (could be 100N too),

- Auch Pelikan on few of the pics,

- IBIS, could also be Rappen though...

So do I.

Mostly Pelikan 100 and 2 Auch

Lovely post-the pics of the soldiers are very intimate compared with the others, nest-ce pas? I cant help but wonder what they were writing: perhaps the Finnish version of the Sullivan Ballou letter to someone at home. Thank you.

Edited by Herrjaeger

Looks like someone is trying to write something in german.

Yup, studying for the matriculation exam. People who were serving could get their high school diplomas even during the war. :)

• 3 months later...

As a visual artist in numerous media,and scribbler in journals I notice the details. What was daily life like for the young ladies in uniform? One girl wears a ring with a bear design on it.

An American Colonel

What looks like an arm brace

Shoelaces are what You can find. They don't match.

Wonderful photos!

Edited by Studio97

Shoelaces are what You can find. They don't match.

Yup, you made due with what you had available. That other "shoelace" in the last pic is very likely this white and blue packing twine, we still had that around when I was a kid. :)