The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eyesa

eyesa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2018 - 17:40

Hi all. Since I posted this in another thread and two other ink 'chemists' have confirmed and approved it, I thought I'd make an honest woman of myself by posting an official recipe here.
I wanted a bulletproof Nightshade which is an exact copy of Noodler's Nightshade (which sadly washes away easily.) Here's the recipe and (messy) photo of my effort. It seems to be fully waterproof, leaving a bare touch of pink coloring, when run under a faucet. It seems to behave, both on paper and in a pen and is stable long term when bottled. I used ONLY Noodler's inks so as to avoid any ugly chemical problems.
I know Noodler's and his Nightshade won't be on everyone's favorite list, but I liked it enough to give it a go.
The recipe is:
Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses (BSAR) - 1 ML.
Noodler's #41 Brown - 1 ML.
Noodler's Kung Te Cheng - 6 drops
Noodler's Heart Of Darkness (HOD) or Bulletproof Black - 8 drops

Let me know what you think and please be kind. This is my 1st attempt.
(Oops! in the photo, it should be "too dry in the nib." Sheesh!)

Scan.jpeg

Edited by eyesa, 30 January 2018 - 17:50.

Sponsored Content

#2 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2018 - 21:34

WOW WOW WOW

Thank you!

Oh, I don't have #41 brown ... oh wait, I do as a sample.

Thanks again!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#3 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2018 - 16:14

Eyesa. If I wanted a little more burgundy in this mix could I throttle back on the brown, blue and black. Or perhaps just one of those colors?

There was an older Nightshade about 4 years ago that had a nice burgundy component.

#4 eyesa

eyesa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2018 - 16:29

Hi Bill.
If it were me, I'd probably add drop by drop, more BSAR.
The problem with reduction is: the #41 brown makes the purply/pink of BSAR lean towards burgundy rather than away. To me burgundy and wine colors have a touch of brown owing to their nature of fermentation. So it may just need a few more drops of BSAR to brighten it to taste, but that's just the way I'd do it.
It is after all, simply experimentation. Do post your results if you have success.
I'd be very interested to see your result! :)

Eyesa. If I wanted a little more burgundy in this mix could I throttle back on the brown, blue and black. Or perhaps just one of those colors?

There was an older Nightshade about 4 years ago that had a nice burgundy component.

Edited by eyesa, 25 February 2018 - 16:39.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterproof nightshade, noodlers ink, noodlers bsar, noodlers #41 brown, noodlers kung te cheng, noodlers black, inky recipes

Sponsored Content

|