What Is The Best Low Cost Pen?

denmarks

I have tried various pens and always seem to find that they sometimes do not like a specific spot on a paper and will not write. My last pen was a Fisher Space pen which seems to write anywhere but left globs of ink. I am now trying a Parker Gel pen. Any advice?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IndigoBOB

• tvradio

• sidpost

• oneill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the Parker Gel pens and own many. But here is the rub-----PAPER!

It is always paper that has the final say. I have over 43 pens/fountain pens. Some are a dream to write with--but change paper, and the dream becomes a nightmare. One of my favorite 'go-to" pens is a Parker Cisele with a gel cartridge.

Good luck! And I hope this helps....

Charlie

"Knowledge may give weight, but accomplishments give lustre, and many more people see than weigh."

Lord Chesterfield

The Retro 51 Tornado is a solid pen for $20. Also like the Parker Jotter

Both are good choices. The Tornado is a little big around (diameter) for me but, I still like it a lot at ~$20. It is a really solid pen to put in a pocket or backpack.

Parker Jotters are really nice pens that compete in the really cheap category at ~$6.

Pentel Energel's are super nice as well. I particularly like the Alloy RT models. They are a bit bigger like the Tornado but, the knurling and colors tend to keep one immediately at hand and on my desk. :)

For "the best" cheap pen, I would have to go with a Pentel Energel variant. The RTX are about $1 bought on sale in packs of the three.

Edited by sidpost

On a quest for better pencils and pens in rural East Texas. :)

Parker Jotters are really nice pens that compete in the really cheap category at ~$6.

I bought the steel jotter with the gold clip. It is listed at $20 but I managed to get it at Amazon for about $10 before the price went up to over $17. It has the gel refill. A quick test seems to indicate no problems.

Lamy Noto: nice design, very good grip/easy to hold. Good but very cheap; cost just a little bit more than a separate excellent M16 refill.

Joop

My favorite is the Parker Jotter. It is well made, dependable, comfortable to use IMO, and Parker refills write consistently well.

My current favourites in the low-cost category are Wing Sung 3008 ad Jinhao 992.

Good on YOU for mentioning my favourite Chinese pens The Jinhao's and Baoer made by the same company,in

general terms they are fabulous low cost pens and don't cost a fortune, When you get around to

liking them treat yourself to their best pen which is either listed as The Abalone pen or the

Mother of pearl pen a few dollars

more but your collection will shine,Trust Me, Oneill

Edited by oneill

What is best will always remain debatable, but I keep a Chinese stainless steel ballpoint in my coat for writing in inconvenient situations.

Jinhao_182_twist_action_ballpoint_pen_di

The Jinhao 182 is an affordable (about € 2 on eBay) Waterman Expert series inspired twist action pen.

Jinhao_182_twist_action_ballpoint_pen.jp

Its larger than average size and heft make it write tolerable for me and people generally like it when I loan it to them.

I ordered a Pelikan K205 ballpoint pen which I am anxiously awaiting. It’s probably towards the higher end of what I will carry regularly but have heard wonderful things about the brand. It’s not exactly “low cost” I guess but not super expensive either at around $100

Fountain pen Pilot Kakuno.

Gel pen I can't decide among Zebra Sarasa, Uni-Ball Signo and Pentel Energel.

Needle point Pilot Hi-Tec-C. It's not low cost amongst needle point gel pens, but it's so smooth.

Technical pen rOtring. Staedtler and Faber-Castell aren't as smooth as rOtring, but they're lower cost.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

I used dozens of uni-ball micro's in college. That's a rollerball with liquid ink. About a buck each, write with a feather touch on any porous surface, flow freely until they run dry.

Not too fond of gels. They leave a blobby, slow-drying mess and share the same killer flaw as ballpoints - digging for China while leaving no ink.

Edited by Corona688

That is easily said: Platinum Preppy.

Considering the forum we're in, may we assume you write with the marker or brush? :rolleyes: :D

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

Considering the forum we're in, may we assume you write with the marker or brush? :rolleyes: :D

Humpf... I have tried the complete Preppy collection: fountain pens with different nibs (very good especially when you love fine nibs), the marker (they are fine) and the brush (also fine). However, all Preppies are very cheap and very reliable.

My current favourites in the low-cost category are Wing Sung 3008 ad Jinhao 992.

Thank God for Chinese Pens,the best deal for the Dollar Both Jinhao and Baoer made by the same company

would be the best ones to deal with. Trust Me, Oneill If you are looking for one to make your collection shine

try the Jinhao Abalone or the mother of pearl as it is sometimes called very reasonable cost,I have three of them made by different makers for Jinhao.Trust Me. Oneill