The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What Is The Best Low Cost Pen?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 denmarks

denmarks

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 17:00

I have tried various pens and always seem to find that they sometimes do not like a specific spot on a paper and will not write. My last pen was a Fisher Space pen which seems to write anywhere but left globs of ink. I am now trying a Parker Gel pen. Any advice?

Sponsored Content

#2 CharlieP

CharlieP

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 17:04

I love the Parker Gel pens and own many. But here is the rub-----PAPER!

It is always paper that has the final say. I have over 43 pens/fountain pens. Some are a dream to write with--but change paper, and the dream becomes a nightmare. One of my favorite 'go-to" pens is a Parker Cisele with a gel cartridge. 

Good luck! And I hope this helps....

Charlie

"Knowledge may give weight, but accomplishments give lustre, and many more people see than weigh."

Lord Chesterfield

#3 City74

City74

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2018 - 19:04

The Retro 51 Tornado is a solid pen for $20. Also like the Parker Jotter

#4 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2018 - 22:00

Pilot Kakuno. Has a fine SS nib at lowest cost, not counting Plumix.

#5 vojtahlad

vojtahlad

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2018 - 23:04

My current favourites in the low-cost category are Wing Sung 3008 ad Jinhao 992.

#6 sidpost

sidpost

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2018 - 00:03

The Retro 51 Tornado is a solid pen for $20. Also like the Parker Jotter

Both are good choices.  The Tornado is a little big around (diameter) for me but, I still like it a lot at ~$20.  It is a really solid pen to put in a pocket or backpack.

Parker Jotters are really nice pens that compete in the really cheap category at ~$6.  

Pentel Energel's are super nice as well.  I particularly like the Alloy RT models.  They are a bit bigger like the Tornado but, the knurling and colors tend to keep one immediately at hand and on my desk.   :)

For "the best" cheap pen, I would have to go with a Pentel Energel variant.  The RTX are about $1 bought on sale in packs of the three.

Edited by sidpost, 31 January 2018 - 00:05.

On a quest for better pencils and pens in rural East Texas.   :)

#7 denmarks

denmarks

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 00:36

Parker Jotters are really nice pens that compete in the really cheap category at ~$6.  

I bought the steel jotter with the gold clip. It is listed at $20 but I managed to get it at Amazon for about $10 before the price went up to over $17. It has the gel refill. A quick test seems to indicate no problems.

#8 inkobsessed

inkobsessed

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 21:25

Lamy Noto: nice design, very good grip/easy to hold. Good but very cheap; cost just a little bit more than a separate excellent M16 refill.

Joop

#9 tvradio

tvradio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2018 - 21:55

Noto is a nice pen but.... that clip  :unsure:

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

#10 fullfederhalter

fullfederhalter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:34

My favorite is the Parker Jotter.  It is well made, dependable, comfortable to use IMO, and Parker refills write consistently well.  

#11 oneill

oneill

RETIRED MAGISTRATE

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:07

My current favourites in the low-cost category are Wing Sung 3008 ad Jinhao 992.

Good on YOU for mentioning my favourite Chinese pens The Jinhao's and Baoer made by the same company,in
general terms they are fabulous low cost pens and don't cost a fortune, When you get around to
liking them treat yourself to their best pen which is either listed as The Abalone pen or the
Mother of pearl pen a few dollars
more but your collection will shine,Trust Me, Oneill

Edited by oneill, 02 February 2018 - 06:08.

#12 Fuellerfuehrerschein

Fuellerfuehrerschein

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:40

What is best will always remain debatable, but I keep a Chinese stainless steel ballpoint in my coat for writing in inconvenient situations.

Jinhao_182_twist_action_ballpoint_pen_di

The Jinhao 182 is an affordable (about € 2 on eBay) Waterman Expert series inspired twist action pen.

Jinhao_182_twist_action_ballpoint_pen.jp

Its larger than average size and heft make it write tolerable for me and people generally like it when I loan it to them.

#13 City74

City74

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:36

I ordered a Pelikan K205 ballpoint pen which I am anxiously awaiting. It’s probably towards the higher end of what I will carry regularly but have heard wonderful things about the brand. It’s not exactly “low cost” I guess but not super expensive either at around $100

#14 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,390 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:27

Fountain pen Pilot Kakuno.

Gel pen I can't decide among Zebra Sarasa, Uni-Ball Signo and Pentel Energel.

Needle point Pilot Hi-Tec-C. It's not low cost amongst needle point gel pens, but it's so smooth.

Technical pen rOtring. Staedtler and Faber-Castell aren't as smooth as rOtring, but they're lower cost.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#15 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 20:37

I used dozens of uni-ball micro's in college.  That's a rollerball with liquid ink.  About a buck each, write with a feather touch on any porous surface, flow freely until they run dry.

Not too fond of gels.  They leave a blobby, slow-drying mess and share the same killer flaw as ballpoints - digging for China while leaving no ink.

Edited by Corona688, 02 February 2018 - 21:04.

#16 FinScherlis

FinScherlis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 22:23

That is easily said: Platinum Preppy.

#17 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,218 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:49

Parker Jotter

#18 tvradio

tvradio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 15:22

That is easily said: Platinum Preppy.

Considering the forum we're in, may we assume you write with the marker or brush?  :rolleyes:  :D

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

#19 FinScherlis

FinScherlis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 17:34

Considering the forum we're in, may we assume you write with the marker or brush?  :rolleyes:  :D

Humpf... I have tried the complete Preppy collection: fountain pens with different nibs (very good especially when you love fine nibs), the marker (they are fine) and the brush (also fine). However, all Preppies are very cheap and very reliable.

#20 oneill

oneill

RETIRED MAGISTRATE

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 23:53

Thank God for Chinese Pens,the best deal for the Dollar Both Jinhao and Baoer made by the same company
would be the best ones to deal with. Trust Me, Oneill If you are looking for one to make your collection shine
try the Jinhao Abalone or the mother of pearl as it is sometimes called very reasonable cost,I have three of them made by different makers for Jinhao.Trust Me. Oneill

Sponsored Content

|