Safari - Underwhelmed.

Drubbing

Hi alll

first post and hoping to get some help with Lamys. I'm not new to FP but not really a geek or collector, I just prefer them. I was after a workaday pen and bought a Safari, M nib. Liked the looks, and you can't seem to find a bad review on the interwebs. Two queries - one regarding my Safari, and the 2000.

I just got a Safari and gave it a clean out and tried it with the supplied cart. The ink lines are patchy. No real stop start, just inconsistent laying of ink. Not like any review writing sample I've seen, where if anything the Medium nibs are on the wet side.

Is there anything I can do about this? I thought at first I've been spoiled by my vintage pens. I have a couple of Parker 51s (a 1940s and one from '50s) a Sheaffer and Slimfold. But even my Parker jotter writes better than the safari, even though the Jotter's medium nib is pretty wet, it's far smoother.

Now I'm asking as this isn't all about the Safari. I would really love a 2000, as it seems like a modern 51, given the hooded nib and shape, and I would prefer not to use my 51s at work. So wondering what people's thoughts are on the quality / differences between the Safari/2000. As I've found from the Pelikan, more $$ doesn't necessarily mean a better pen, as I have far cheaper ones that write just as well.

Maybe I just got a poor nib on this Safari? This is easily replaced. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drubbing

• Namo

• Torrilin

• senzen

I doubt the cause is a poor nib. But it could be the tines are not quite aligned. (I take it that you have properly cleaned the new pen.. Perhaps first clean it again, now using a few drops of dishwashing soap in the water, and use an earbulb to press the water through the section)

First hold the nib in front of a light and see if there is a nice consistent line of light coming through the slit. If it doesn't , no light or if it narrows to touching at the end, or instead widens: there is your culprit.

And perhaps the nib is not seated properly. Remove it, wipe the feed and the underside of the nib and replace.

As to the 2000, it is one of the Lamy's I don't care for very much. But I seem the odd one out....

Then again, I'm not particularly fond of the P51 as well.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

First question I'd have is where was it purchased? I think there are a lot of counterfeit Lamy Safaris around. Lamy write tests every Safari they ship -- so unless something was damaged in transit, it's going to perform as intended.

As for the 2K, the miniscule sweet spot makes it a non-starter for me. I wouldn't have a pen that requires me to make compromises so it will perform adequately.

Lamy write tests every Safari they ship

Lamy don't. They test one per batch.

The squirting of the ink into the section is automated.

I've witnessed more than enough QC issues with their pens.

Edited by Bluey

You can return to dealer to resolve issues with dry or scratchy nib. Or email manufacturers directly as I did when I could not find a dealer nearby. theyre very helpful. First class backup.

In my humble opinion (imho). Amory

Edited by Amory

Lamy don't. They test one per batch.

The squirting of the ink into the section is automated.

I've witnessed more than enough QC issues with their pens.

You go to your church, I'll go to mine.

I find new Safaris write a little dry for my taste. I usually take a thin safety razor (used for shaving) to loosen the tines. I basically run the razor between the tines a few times. Maybe wiggle it slightly. It's possible you could damage the nib, but that's never happened to me. May be worth a try.

RMN's suggestion to clean the section is a good idea. There could be residue from the manufacturing process causing a problem.

Good luck.

~Brian

"Mostly I just kill time, and it dies hard." - Raymond Chandler (The Long Goodbye)

I would wash it out with a weak soap water solution and then try the Lamy again. I had a Montblanc with some anemic ink flow, that turned out to be some residue in the ink lines. There can be oil and such from working the nib that results in this, especially for a new pen. The Safari is a good knock around pen. I started on one actually.

It could also be the ink. They tend to ship the pens with a cartridge of Lamy Blue. Which is not the best ink on the planet -- it's kind of blah ink. (OTOH, I have two bottles of Lamy Dark Lilac LE.... :rolleyes:)

I only have one Safari, a Dark Lilac with an F nib, and I like the pen a whole lot. But I made sure I bought a converter for it when I bought the pen -- that way I can use whatever ink I want in the pen (most recently it was Platinum Classic Forest Black IG).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I would second the suggestion of cleaning it, remember to take the water out too; it's quick and easy with a bulb syringe.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

First question I'd have is where was it purchased? I think there are a lot of counterfeit Lamy Safaris around. Lamy write tests every Safari they ship -- so unless something was damaged in transit, it's going to perform as intended.

As for the 2K, the miniscule sweet spot makes it a non-starter for me. I wouldn't have a pen that requires me to make compromises so it will perform adequately.

At Australia's biggest stationary retailer.

Warm welcome!

1) Try and clean it. A new pen can and often does have residues. Tap water should do it, if not add a drop of soap.

Usually, Safari are troublefree pens, but of course my experience is limited.

2) The 2000 is a totally different beast. Not the same nib, not the same filling mecanism, not the same material. Bigger than the P51 and IMHO very different writing behaviour. The sweet spot of the nib is small and opiy Hass been reported as troublesome by some people. A great pen, this being said.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Warm welcome!

1) Try and clean it. A new pen can and often does have residues. Tap water should do it, if not add a drop of soap.

Tap water on it's own won't do it. It's the oil that you want to get rid of, and water on it's own won't remove oil. The dish soap is the stuff that breaks down the oil.

It's the oils that interfere with ink flow, so you hear people flushing with just tap water and wondering why the issue is still there.

Edited by Bluey

Tap water on it's own won't do it. It's the oil that you want to get rid of, and water on it's own won't remove oil. The dish soap is the stuff that breaks down the oil.

It's the oils that interfere with ink flow, so you hear people flushing with just tap water and wondering why the issue is still there.

Might be oil. Might be other residues. But of course I am not telling anything you don't know.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Thanks very much. I know the pen is legit, so I'll try weak soap wash, different ink and razor blade, in that order.

I'm finding the Tri grip is a limitation on the Safari. I hold pens with my finger on top, so the grip isn't helping me at all, as it's making me hold the nib differently to any other FP I have.

On the L2K, I'm aware of the criticisms, but never found a pen I couldn't use well (despite being a lefty, I write in a similar position to a RH).

Does the Studio have the same issue as the L2K? Unfortunately, nowhere where I live to try out any of these.

Edited by Drubbing

Most of my pens are limited edition Montblancs and Omas, however, I really love my Lamy Safari pens. They're so rugged and the snap caps make them a breeze to use. I use mine more often than most of my other pens. Favorites are the matte finishes such as the Dark Lilac, Charcoal, and Petrol. The nib on my Lamy Lx gold is terrible though. Super dry and doesn't write correctly. I switched it with on of my normal black Safari nibs and it's now back in action.

Hi, I've found it's worth spending 10 minutes cleaning the underside of the nib and the feed before using a new Safari (or any new FP.)

With the Safari it's fairly easy to slide the nib straight off the from the front of the feed, if the nib is dry, attach some sticky tape to the top of the nib and pull.

Make up a solution in a glass or mug, of one drop of dish washing up liquid, plus warm water.

If there is an ink cartridge, take it off.

Use an old toothbrush and give the underside of the nib a clean, then do the same to the part of the feed that you can see now the nib is not there. Drop the whole front section into the solution, lift it out, let it drain through, back in the water and repeat a dozen times over.

( I won't suggest to try to take the feed out, experience has shown me it can be extremely difficult, and probably not needed here anyway.)

Fold up a paper towel and stand the front section and nib on it, leave for half an hour. Put the nib back on, plug in the ink cartridge, and test again. Ink will be slightly washy for a while but that won't last before the ink gets to normal darkness.

Five Safaris here, most reliable pens, worth the asking price easily, but do benefit from a flush through every few months.

Edited by Mike 59

Thanks very much. I know the pen is legit, so I'll try weak soap wash, different ink and razor blade, in that order.

I'm finding the Tri grip is a limitation on the Safari. I hold pens with my finger on top, so the grip isn't helping me at all, as it's making me hold the nib differently to any other FP I have.

On the L2K, I'm aware of the criticisms, but never found a pen I couldn't use well (despite being a lefty, I write in a similar position to a RH).

Does the Studio have the same issue as the L2K? Unfortunately, nowhere where I live to try out any of these.

Studio compares in no way to L2000.

The nibs and feed on the Studio are basically the same as on the Safari.

Apart from shape and weight the writing experience on the Safari and Studio would be similar.

L2000 is a completely different beast.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

The Studio doesn't have a triangular section, but it usually has a shiny, slippery one, except for the steel version, which has a rubber grip. In spite of being the same nib as the Safaris, mine is way smoother, bought second hand. Try to think of the Safari's section as a an aid for beginners, even if you're not: let it take your fingers to a specific position and relax, it's easy to forget writing with a fountain pen can be much more relaxing than with other types of pens, I still catch myself doing the grip of death...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell