Parker Duofold Maxima Uk- Clip Question.

coinlvr

...plus the thin cap band of the Senior. So more likely a Senior cap on a Standard pen. Hari, could you give a comparison measurements of both the caps on your Senior and Standard?

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• mitto

• hood

• coinlvr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I think hari317 was suggesting that this cap was a standard Duofold cap but with a narrow band, which would have been a very interesting find, but to my mind the length and the band together surely make it a Senior cap.

Exactly. As I said in my earlier post, I have never ever seen a Standard with a narrow cap band. This would have been a new discovery for me had the cap been of a Standard but with a narrow cap band.

Khan M. Ilyas

Yes I would guess that at some point in its life the standard Duofold there has been given the cap from a Senior, as that cap length is the length of a Senior cap.

I have no way to know. The pen is second hand. I can only say the cap fits like a hand in glove with thd barrel.

Btw what is the correct dimension for the cap of a standard? Is the barrel dimension in the correct ballpark?

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

And the cap and barrel diameters (not the length) of both the Standard and the Senior are the same.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

...plus the thin cap band of the Senior. So more likely a Senior cap on a Standard pen. Hari, could you give a comparison measurements of both the caps on your Senior and Standard?

As I said. I have no way to know. It will be helpful to know the expected length of a standard cap. I have only 4 seniors. And this one std. I have one more pen that I suspect to be a standard (it has a wide cap band too, but thd nib is unnumbered) but that is away from me at the moment. Here are the measurements from my seniors:

Cap1: 64.5 length/13.9 diameter

Cap2: 63.9/13.8

Cap3: 64.42/13.94

Cap4: 64.32/13.94

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Yes your barrel is the right length for a standard Duofold; the cap of a standard is around 58.5mm.

excellent. And if the diameters are same with the same thread specs, I have a happy Frankenstein pen. :)

But how can I solve my problem with the missing clip? Is there any way for me to write to Parker in China so that they can make one clip for me? Any thoughts?

But how can I solve my problem with the missing clip?

I am sorry we hijacked your thread. As suggested initially, finding a donor pen on eBay uk is going to be the easiest way. Maxima name itself causes its parts prices to become quite expensive. The result of this discussion is that you need not mention maxima. Say you want a seniors clip. Seniors go from 18 to 25 gbp typically on Ebay uk. For pens that are intact. Good luck hunting.

Thanks all. I found a clip from a reputable dealer. Now I will have to learn about removing a jewel and the broken clip. Will keep you posted with pictures. I am glad that the no. 50 nib is an amazing writer. I am in love with my maxima.

@Penlvr: I'm pleased to have read through this really interesting thread and found that you ended up with the right clip for your pen, thanks to the expertise of the 3 experienced members helping you. :)

@hood in the UK: I would love to know what brand your callipers are and where you got them from. ;)

Thanks all. I found a clip from a reputable dealer. Now I will have to learn about removing a jewel and the broken clip. Will keep you posted with pictures. I am glad that the no. 50 nib is an amazing writer. I am in love with my maxima.

great! the technique in the following post works best for me to safely remove the clip screws with minimal effort.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/156429-securing-parker-clip-screws-and-jewels/?do=findComment&comment=3351731

... I would love to know what brand your callipers are and where you got them from. ;)

I use and prefer Mitutoyo, expensive, but well worth it.

Thanks, all. Time to purchase a hot glue device. I will post pictures once I am done with it. By the way, UK Parkers are so much fun, and I am loving this Maxima. It writes better than some of the modern pens that I own.

• 4 weeks later...

Thx all...! What a fun analytical & informative thread/discussion. Now I know what to do if a bust a clip since I just bought a UK Maxima :)

Edited by Penntellr

You can screw a narrow band Senior cap onto a wide band Maxima, and vice versa.

Dont ask me how I know this...😉

Personally I wouldn't recommend putting a Senior cap on a Maxima with the nib in place as, whilst the threads match, the Maxima nib is longer and wider with a wider feed, and the Senior cap is shorter and so tapers sooner from the opening, which means the Maxima nib will foul on the inner cap and screwing it down will bend the edges of the nib down.