New Usa Distributor For Lamy?

bogiesan

Ive seen allusions to a new USA distributor several times in the form. And I understand the current distributor is liquidating their stocks (selection is awful still but worth checking for deep discounts). Will this new distributor be selling direct to public? ONly reason Im asking is Im trying to find a specific product: Lamy's red leather pen cases; these are so cool they're not even listed on Lamy's German corporate site but you can see them, just sitting on the shelves, in photos taken at the Lamy boutique that recently opened in San Francisco.

Thanks.

Edited by bogiesan

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• bogiesan

• bluebellrose

• AidenMark

Maybe you could call the Lamy store in SF and ask them about the cases. Such as name and model number. That would make your search easier. Perhaps they can recommend a source for them too.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Maybe you could call the Lamy store in SF and ask them about the cases. Such as name and model number. That would make your search easier. Perhaps they can recommend a source for them too.

They might even sell it to you and ship it.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Hi all,

I have no idea who it is,... I thought I read somewhere that it was Luxury Brands... Noodlers & Platinum's U.S. distributor,... but I don't see any evidence of Lamy at their website:

http://luxurybrandsusa.com/

Personally, I kind of have my doubts about this, but who knows? I guess, for us peons,... its still anyone's guess. The dealer's probably know... (or maybe not... according to Marlinspike),... or have reliable inclinations... but are no doubt still under gag orders.

Oh, well. I hope their repair/customer service was as good as it was before and their prices stay reasonable... those are the only two points of concern I really have... what their name is... not so much. :D

- Anthony

EDITED to add text.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Does anybody know who the new distributor is? My local pen shop says they can no longer find a source for Lamy pens.

Anyone who is going to sell the Vibrant pink model knows. As in Goulet, Pen Chalet, etc. Somehow I doubt it is a secret. If you write to them, they might tell you.

Anyone who is going to sell the Vibrant pink model knows. As in Goulet, Pen Chalet, etc.

Astute observation. ;)

Somehow I doubt it is a secret. If you write to them, they might tell you.

Yes. You could contact Goulet, (or your preferred dealer), and ask where you're supposed to send your Lamy pens for service now.

- Anthony

Hi all,

I put my Cracker-Jack of a coon-hound secretary on the job... and as usual... she got the goods. :thumbup:

Lamy's new distributor is Universal Luxury Brands, based in NYC, (here in the States; with other offices worldwide).

http://universal-luxury-brands.com/index.html

I have high hopes for this group... it sounds like they're really going to market the brand.

I'll give it two thumbs-up... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Be well all. :)

- Anthony

Typo

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Yeah, well, thanks everyone. The link to the website just shows three still images.

Eh.

Of course, they are wholesalers, so anyone who isn’t a client is going to see much.

Wonder if they will have a public facing site to show off Lamy stuff.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Yeah, well, thanks everyone. The link to the website just shows three still images.

Eh.

Of course, they are wholesalers, so anyone who isn’t a client is going to see much.

What's worse is that they are showing three BALLPOINTS.... :angry:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

What's worse is that they are showing three BALLPOINTS.... :angry:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Hi Ruth, et al,

I know... this is actually a promising sign... it shows they're not idiots... they're launching the brand in America using the most popular writing format in America... which will put a Lamy in far more American pockets than fountain pen marketing would ever do.

Believe it or not, most modern Americans are intimidated or repulsed by fountain pens. :o First, you have to sell the people on the brand itself... once you've done that... the fountain pens will naturally follow. :thumbup:

- Anthony

Eh.

Of course, they are wholesalers, so anyone who isnt a client is going to see much.

Hi Bogiesan,

You've basically answered your own concerns... wholesalers do not market to the public... they market to retailers... marketing to the consumer is the retailers job... that's how the financial hierarchy is set up:

Manufacturers sell to wholesalers @ 25-30% over the cost of manufacture.

Wholesalers sell to retailers typically at 50% of the MSRP... so the retailer has the largest profit margin of the triad... but in concession for that, he typically handles most of the marketing, (in cooperation with the manufacturer); the cost of overhead, etc., etc.

The wholesaler is basically a middleman who handles the shipping and distribution end of it. Some manufacturers will deal direct with retailers; however the logistical nightmares of product shipping and distribution make the wholesaler an attractive option for most manufacturers who would much rather ship their wares out in bulk to one place. :thumbup:

- Anthony

EDITED for typos & to clarify text.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

See...it wasn't so hard :D

Hi Das,

(Pardon me, Das... don't knowhow I missed this).

You can say that again. It was especially easy for me... I just pushed the intercom button. :D

- Anthony

• 1 month later...

The website says:

Universal Luxury Brands has the honor to represent the amazing writing instruments brand LAMY - Made in Germany.

Universal Luxury Brands is located in New York City with both offices and a showroom. We also have offices internationally in europe and the middle east.

Universal Luxury Brands is committed to investing heavily in LAMY to create more brand awareness and sales growth in the US market.

Has anyone been to the showroom? It seems to be on 7th Avenue between Times Square and Penn Station in Manhattan, around the corner and a few blocks down from Kinokuniya.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

The website says:

Has anyone been to the showroom? It seems to be on 7th Avenue between Times Square and Penn Station in Manhattan, around the corner and a few blocks down from Kinokuniya.

Hi Welch,

I have not... but then again, I try to stay out of the city if I can at all help it.

Interesting question, though,... I wonder if the showroom is anything like the boutique they opened in Frisco? :unsure:

I'd volunteer to check, but I even do FPH by mail-order, just to stay clear of the place. :D

Do we have any resident New Yorkers here who wish to brave the elements of downtown Manhattan to find out? :unsure:

- Anthony

• 10 months later...

Hi Bogiesan,

You've basically answered your own concerns... wholesalers do not market to the public... they market to retailers... marketing to the consumer is the retailers job... that's how the financial hierarchy is set up:

Manufacturers sell to wholesalers @ 25-30% over the cost of manufacture.

Wholesalers sell to retailers typically at 50% of the MSRP... so the retailer has the largest profit margin of the triad... but in concession for that, he typically handles most of the marketing, (in cooperation with the manufacturer); the cost of overhead, etc., etc.

The wholesaler is basically a middleman who handles the shipping and distribution end of it. Some manufacturers will deal direct with retailers; however the logistical nightmares of product shipping and distribution make the wholesaler an attractive option for most manufacturers who would much rather ship their wares out in bulk to one place. :thumbup:

- Anthony

EDITED for typos & to clarify text.

hmm, maybe Lamy chose the wrong new distributor. The distributor in Canada has set up a Lamy Canada Website as well their own online shop for people to order directly from them if they cannot find the thing they want in store. Sad thing is they use canpar, one of Canada's most horrible shippers. Bound to scare away some people. Prices are at suggested Lamy retail price.

There is a corporate USA Lamy outlet:

https://www.lamyshop.us

They seem to have a retail operation although the prices are, umm, Black nib, $70. Can that be a typo? https://www.lamyshop.us/us_en/nib-lamy-z-50.html

You can even get the 2019 pink Valentine’s Day $30 AlStar special, same deal Goulet is running.

https://www.lamyshop.us/us_en/fountain-pen-lamy-valentines-day-gift-set.html?sel=1330

There is a corporate USA Lamy outlet:

https://www.lamyshop.us

They seem to have a retail operation although the prices are, umm, Black nib, $70. Can that be a typo? https://www.lamyshop.us/us_en/nib-lamy-z-50.html

That is so bad - almost the price of a gold nib.

The .com on-line store has them for E6.99/$7.92 https://www.lamyshop.com/tinten-zubehor/federn/ That .us price is little short of inflicting repetitional damage on the brand

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

That is so bad - almost the price of a gold nib.

The .com on-line store has them for E6.99/$7.92 https://www.lamyshop.com/tinten-zubehor/federn/ That .us price is little short of inflicting repetitional damage on the brand

Lamy US always has been more expensive than Lame EU. Remember, they have to ship them overseas, then probably import duty, then they need a distributor and service centre who wants money for their services...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~