What Ink Have You Ordered? - 2018

chromantic

fpn_1526754680__img_3915.jpg[/url]

Wow, that's alot of shimmering inks, getting jealous ....

In any case, to have them is better than to need them. I think I have to have more...ink...and..good grief....

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chromantic

• jmccarty3

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• inkstainedruth

Noihvo, if you don't shake the bottle of the Shimmertastic before you ink a pen up it's basically a normal ink. My Shimmering Seas is very well-behaved on all types of paper, so I use it even when I don't want the sparkle effect.

Also, have you ever considered selling one or more bottles if you "fell out of love" with the ink, so to speak?

fpn_1526798614__img_3920.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Mont Blanc Corn Poppy Red, and Diamine 150th Anniversary Safari and Terracotta. I like them all very much.

Posted Image

A whole lotta samples! (Noodler's Eel Black, Aurora Black, Iroshizuku Take Sumi, Sailor Kiwa Guro, Platinum Carbon Black; Noodler's Red Black, Noodler's BSiAR and BSiER, KWZ Walk over Vistula, Iroshizuku Ku Jaku). Also a set of GVFC Deep Sea Green cartridges for an upcoming trip abroad.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Like the Holy Grail of Pens, the Grail of Inks is not only illusive, but one of Utopian thinking, imaginary quality and impossibly the same for all.

Luckily I am partially color blind and as a returnee to fountain pens after 50+ years my choices and tastes include much more limited and limiting criteria than fully color sighted compeers.

So, six months ago I got a big bottle or Noodler's Heart of Darkness with its included free Charlie Pen. Delighted with it, it flowed, wrote and allowed be to feel that my handwriting had not improved in 50 years, but ink had. Wth the cheap paper I can afford in retirement I found the HOD ink makes broad strokes wonderfully, but does not allow me with medium cheap Chinese nibs to produce open loops and small writing, even with fine nibs it looks medium.

SO, getting another Charlie pen in the process I got a big bottle of X-Feather from Noodlers and a big bottle of Baystate blue -- in its vibrant glory. Spread, feathering and bleed through problems SOLVED. The blue, to my imperfectly color sighted eyes figuratively jumps off the page when used for my chicken scratches. Exactly the vivacious color I wanted from it.

It is the literal jumping off the page of the Bay State Blue that offered me problems. It is a permanent ink. It is permanent on paper, counter tops, some porcelain, wash containers, many fabrics and skin layers that do not easily wash off. Leave it in a pen for a week and it becomes a sealant between feeds and nibs, feeds and sections, plungers in fillers and the filler walls. Yes it can be washed away -- time consuming and causing me to wonder if I would break the seal or the pen first.

But the color makes it worth keeping and instantly cleaning instruments after use.

Then I thought I would try Goulet's sample program. While great for what it is to sample one pen full of a color, running out of the sample to me is very unsatisfying, I would rather, if I could afford it, but a larger quantity to test and not run out after one pen full. I did appreciate, however, those samples I got to test for drying and flow as well as color and kept them in mInd for future reference.

THEN A SMALL MIRACLE HAPPENED HERE ON FPN. I spied a notice in Marketplace that Cult Pens was offering free shipping with minimum order. Since I am in Tucson, AZ USA, and they are in Great Britain, I figured it was impossible to use the offer, but checked it out anyway. Then, I did some cross-checking and wondered if I was wrong for a week, then went back and checked again, cross checked added credit card interest I would have to pay to borrow the money to make minimum then placed an order.

I am guessing Cult Pens must be very close to the Diamine factory/lab. The prices, in GBP were extraordinary on the larger bottles AND they offered 100 colors (most of which I cannot see,) Every Diamine sample I had tried from US suppliers was fine to excellent and all but 2 of the colors I might see and use were on the available list. To make the 50 GBP minimum was easy, UNITIL I spotted that in the USA we do not pay the VAT (Value Added Tax) making each bottle of ink cheaper than I first figured.

SO I added more bottles of ink and a color I was curious about, and made minimum order come up slightly over 50 GBP. Ready for a big GULP I hit the GBP to US $$$$ on line calculator. Wonder of Wonders, the US $$$ had gained strength against the pound and my order would cost about $70 including shipping. My Discover card charges NO fee to convert $$$ to other currency and with the shipping each bottle came to about 50% of the US prices on Amazon and various ink suppliers and the US suppliers all add shipping costs.

I figured the only thing that could go wrong was shipping -- and was prepared to wait and be as patient as you must be with EBay overseas shippers. I was wrong. Instead of a week or more the order placed Monday with Cult Pens arrived on my doorstep Friday of the same week. It was 100 per cent accurate.

SO, each may not be a Grail ink for me -- but the price and service from Cult Pens with this deal has me wondering if I should borrow more $$$ at this --- order more ink -- and start writing 10 hours a day with both hands.

Oh Yes -- Colors I got include Havasu Turquoise which is grand, Onyx Black for when I run out of Noodlers blacks, Poppy Red which is great to my eye, Sapphire Blue for replacing Baystate, Matador Red to try for vibrancy and Macassar to try out to make some olde looking faux documents.

So KUDOs to Cult Pens and their free shipping offer for helping fulfill part of my quest for perfect pen and perfect ink.

Cult Pens is wonderful & although I have not partaken of the free shipping offer, their US shipping rates, combined with low prices & lower costs when VAT is taken away have made many former purchases very reasonable for me. I am glad you have enjoyed these new inks & I wish you many more!

Oh Yes -- Colors I got include Havasu Turquoise which is grand, Onyx Black for when I run out of Noodlers blacks, Poppy Red which is great to my eye, Sapphire Blue for replacing Baystate, Matador Red to try for vibrancy and Macassar to try out to make some olde looking faux documents.

So KUDOs to Cult Pens and their free shipping offer for helping fulfill part of my quest for perfect pen and perfect ink.

Yeah Cult Pens is a respectable, dependable store.

Havasu Turquoise is a lovely light blue, though fussy with the paper. Onyx Black is great, Matador is my go-to red, nice and bright and near perfect, and Macassar is a great color if you want a simple brown, not too dark nor too light, without too many orange and violet undertones.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a bottle - yes, the 20ml one :( - of the new Sailor Yonaga that lgsoltek reviewed yesterday.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I have just ordered Diamine Eclipse and some vintage Sheaffer's Blue Black (No. 22).

I am impressed that you can get vintage Sheaffer ink that's NOS for 50 cents less than most modern Sheaffer inks.

It should be worth just for the bottle and box alone.

Last would be a bottle of Noodler's Ellis Island. My first Noodler's ink in over a year, picked up from FPH in Manhattan partly as a souvenir. Damn fine ink, though.

Before that was Monteverde Horizon Blue- I wanted a blue as dominant as BSB without the cleanup, and this comes close.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

having bad luck with respect to inks. my local whatsapp group members played a crucial role in me thinking about ordering inks. there was a discussion about sailor raising ink prices so I placed an order with a Japanese vendor asking him to confirm the 50ml bottles. he did. however long story short ended up with 8X20ml bottles instead of 8X50 ml sailor inks.

2nd try... had my heart set on the new St DuPont 70ml ink bottle in green... DuPont took almost 5 weeks to deliver the ink to the vendor. in the mean time I kept on adding and replacing inks in the order. then when all the inks were ready to be shipped...they got shipped to the wrong address. I thought paypal address would be used like my previous orders with the vendor. I was wrong- somehow the partial address that I had once used on the vendor website for some reason (calculating shipping/getting without vat prices) years ago and had forgotten about was used. this was 43 days ago. the parcel reached india but the postal departments of both the countries proved useless in helping correct the mistake.

last week I requested a refund or a separate parcel, as the orginal is likely to return back. the vendor agreed to send another parcel but again the Dupont bottle was a problem. the vendor had black and blue but no other colour. enquired with DuPont and it wont be available soon, so ordered a couple of kwz inks instead. waiting for the parcel to be shipped again.

then ateast another month of wait for it to reach me. :unsure:

was really looking forward to try these new inks.

rant over.

Edited by vikrmbedi

having bad luck with respect to inks. my local whatsapp group members played a crucial role in me thinking about ordering inks. there was a discussion about sailor raising ink prices so I placed an order with a Japanese vendor asking him to confirm the 50ml bottles. he did. however long story short ended up with 8X20ml bottles instead of 8X50 ml sailor inks.

2nd try... had my heart set on the new St DuPont 70ml ink bottle in green... DuPont took almost 5 weeks to deliver the ink to the vendor. in the mean time I kept on adding and replacing inks in the order. then when all the inks were ready to be shipped...they got shipped to the wrong address. I thought paypal address would be used like my previous orders with the vendor. I was wrong- somehow the partial address that I had once used on the vendor website for some reason (calculating shipping/getting without vat prices) years ago and had forgotten about was used. this was 43 days ago. the parcel reached india but the postal departments of both the countries proved useless in helping correct the mistake.

last week I requested a refund or a separate parcel, as the orginal is likely to return back. the vendor agreed to send another parcel but again the Dupont bottle was a problem. the vendor had black and blue but no other colour. enquired with DuPont and it wont be available soon, so ordered a couple of kwz inks instead. waiting for the parcel to be shipped again.

then ateast another month of wait for it to reach me. :unsure:

was really looking forward to try these new inks.

rant over.

I hope this was an unlucky streak and that it's broken now. I hope you have many, innumerable ink orders that go as smoothly possible. After all these headache-inducing issues, you deserver no less!

I hope this was an unlucky streak and that it's broken now. I hope you have many, innumerable ink orders that go as smoothly possible. After all these headache-inducing issues, you deserver no less!

from your lips to god's ears... really appreciate the positive sentiments.

adItoLq.jpg

That drawing is awesome. Reminds me of an old friend of mine, now passed.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

Thank you for the drawing! I just think it's common decency to wish for the happiness of others when we are ourselves content enough with our lot, especially when people share interests and passions.

Edited by RoyalBlueNotebooks

El Lawrence, Liberty's Elysium, and OS Thoreau should be in this week.

Carl

Oh, I know this of myself

I assume as much for other people

We’ve listened more to life’s end gong

Than the sound of life’s sweet bells

1. Stipula's Iron Gall Sepia, after a VERY long wait for it to come to the US

2. a bottle of a new Colorverse ink made to match the OPUS 88 pens, Tango.

Edited by Barkingpig

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered:

Diamine November Rain

another 30ml Diamine Skull and Roses

Diamine Bilberry

Diamine Asa Blue