Parker Duofold Restoration

dinosara

Recently got this Duofold from a friend. I didn't know at first, but it is actually an unmatched cap and body. Body is 1929 Permanite Streamline Lady (based on the imprint), cap is a red hard rubber Juniorette (?) or Lady with a clip. The other pens here are an Arnold, a unnamed vintage pen, and a modern Kaweco Sport for scale.

nJ0Anf8.jpg

The cap is cracked, unfortunately. Is it worth trying to get someone to fix the crack? Or another idea: does anyone have a red permanite Lady/Junior Streamline cap lying around that they want to sell me?

LyPqSA3.jpg

Does that Parker nib look like it is borked? I feel like the tip is bent, but I'm not sure. Also the feed looks like it's been pushed out too far or something, I can see it past the nib. Should I send it to a nibmeister? Is there any nibmeisters that also restore vintage pens, who might be able to fix this one up for me? I'm willing to try to fix it myself, but if it needs meistering I might as well get a professional to do it.

U96Erl3.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• crescentfiller

• Bill Nick

• dinosara

The nib part I would do it myself. Also, the resacing would not be didficult if one has the supply of the parts required. Correct cap, however, needs to be sourced.

Khan M. Ilyas

As Mitto says, it would be best to try to repair it yourself. The cost of having it done professionally would, I believe, exceed the value of the pen. Finding a cap online shouldn't prove too difficult.

Good luck!

As Mitto says, it would be best to try to repair it yourself. The cost of having it done professionally would, I believe, exceed the value of the pen. Finding a cap online shouldn't prove too difficult.

Good luck!

"The cost of having it done professionally would, I believe, exceed the value of the pen".

Depends on the amount and ease of work to be done, I suppose. Danny Fudge did my PFM V free of charge, I just had to pay postage.

Kind of looks like the cap has already been replaced.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

All - to piggyback on this thread (not to hijack it), I am also looking for restoration advice on, what appears to be, a Senior Parker Duofold that was owned by my grandfather. Given the topic was similar, I didn't want to post up a duplicate thread.

I posted my thread in the repair forum, and, if you have leads for restoration help/services, I would be grateful.

Link: www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/332462-repair-service-recommendations-senior-parker-duofold/

Best, Ryan

The pen may have been dropped, on the nib, causing the nib to be pushed into the section.

That would also explain the bent tip.

Unless you have experience fixing nibs, I would NOT DIY the nib. You have to knockout the feed to get the nib out. And you need the correct tools to do that. And hope that isn't a Lucky Curve feed, which requires a totally different method to remove the feed.

So send it to a pen tech to repair.

Use the cap as is. For a user pen, don't worry about the crack, it does not look BAD. BAD as in going from the top to bottom, splitting the cap...that is BAD.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Is it correct that the horizontal cut in the feed near the section means the "curve" part of the feed has already been removed/replaced with one that does not have a curve?

Thanks.

Glenn

Is it correct that the horizontal cut in the feed near the section means the "curve" part of the feed has already been removed/replaced with one that does not have a curve?

Thanks.

Glenn

Yes