Pelikan 400Nn Questions (1956)

hatedmind

Sooo, watching football, drinking heavily, browsing fountain pens on eBay during commercial...really was a stalking of ebay. Saw a what from the double vision pictures...looked like a great deal on a 400nn, I bid... I get outbid...I go alright I'm going to set an amount and leave it...ever accidentally bid high? Happened to me. SO now I am the owner of a 400nn, Thankfully the pen looks in good shape that from what I can see will need some nib adjustment, a bit of service and love, and I would like whoever does it to take a look at the piston, the feed channel, etc etc. Now to the real questions I have

1. How can I confirm its 100% legitimate pen ( besides the look for W germany instead of Germany on the cap)

Note I dont have the pen yet, its currently in shipping ( probably wont for another 7-8 days)

2. Looking for recommendation on who to send the pen to for servicing? Most likely Nib adjustment, general servicing/health check.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hatedmind

• jmnav

• AL01

• WJM

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that there's no fool-proof way to assert the pen's origin... but the fact that its a very well known one that doesn't take a fortune to own, so I'm not aware of counterfeits. If it looks like a 400nn, feels like a 400nn and sounds like a 400nn, then it's a 400nn. Of course, once you get back with photos, more can be said.

Regarding servicing, I can say I can't distinguish the flag from you avatar to suggest someone, but it doesn't really matter: on one hand, those Pelikans are quite sturdy so, unless a new "cork" is needed, there's not that much to do to make it working; on the other hand, you probably didn't pay that much for it, and the 400(n, nn) is a very easily serviceable model, so I would suggest a "do-it-yourself" approach: you don't risk that much, it's quite easy, and very gratifying.

Im in the US, and no I didn't pay much in comparison to the already "restored" ones on ebay

The 400NN is one of the best Pelikans and I have NEVER heard of a fake, so enjoy. The most likely trouble would be a cracked nib collar and these are readily available for very little cost. Let us see some pictures when it arrives.

Peter

1. How can I confirm its 100% legitimate pen ( besides the look for W germany instead of Germany on the cap)

From what I know "W. Germany" stamping only appeared after 1982 (indroduction of M400) so I wouldn't look for it on 400NN

Edited by WJM

Thanks my thought was get it in, and before I can get irritated at, send it for service/nib love, as it stands it looks like the tines are kind of far apart from the bad pictures available. But dont worry Ill put some up soon as it arrives and I can at the least clean it throughly.

From what I know "W. Germany" stamping only appeared after 1982 (indroduction of M400) so I wouldn't look for it on 400NN

Correct, the 400NN won' have W. Germany anywhere on it and that's OK, perfectly legitimate. These are not counterfeited widely and your purchase should be genuine. Two big issues are cracked collars and hairlines in the caps. Neither are usually deal breakers. Post some pics once you get it.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

What is the proper designation for this model? 400nn, 400NN or 400Nn????? I have seen it all these different ways on the internet. Are these different models?

The 400NN is one of the best Pelikans and I have NEVER heard of a fake, so enjoy. The most likely trouble would be a cracked nib collar and these are readily available for very little cost. Let us see some pictures when it arrives.

Well, I used the term "counterfeit" quite liberally. I was more refering, for instance, to units with an "old-style" M400 nib or cap instead of the original ones, than for "real" falsifications.

Thanks my thought was get it in, and before I can get irritated at, send it for service/nib love, as it stands it looks like the tines are kind of far apart from the bad pictures available. But dont worry Ill put some up soon as it arrives and I can at the least clean it throughly.

I would try even that. Taking apart the nib unit and the collar is a simple thing you can do with your own hands: unscrew the nib/collar unit (if it takes more than a bit of force, it's a signal you need to clean the pen before going any further). Then the collar should dissasemble just pushing it towards the opposite side to the nib's point, and finallly, you can work on the nib itself with your fingers and the help of two chopsticks.

If, then, you are not satisfied with the results, you are still on time to send it to a professional.

What is the proper designation for this model? 400nn, 400NN or 400Nn????? I have seen it all these different ways on the internet. Are these different models?

Those all mean the same model and it was written with capital letters in official literature (ads, catalogs etc.), thus 400NN should be the official nomenclature. The N means Neue as in "New", so in this case it is 400 New New :D

It was the same with 100, the successor that built on that pen model was 100N.

So yeah, all those designations mean the same model (400NN).

Same basic model, just three different versions... 400 was early to mid 1950's, 400N was only one year (1956), and 400NN was last, 1957-early 1960's. Here are the three together for comparison.

fpn_1502923240__pelikan_400_400n_400nn_t

ETA: I appreciate that we're talking 400NN, but for newer FPN'ers, eBay sellers cause a lot of confusion with these by poorly labeling their offerings... 400, 400nn, 400Nn, etc... to say nothing of the plainly misidentified ones, or the frankenpens with incorrect caps. Although, as my dear friend Lam1 will tell you, good eyes, incorrect ID's, and quick mouse clicking will sometimes yield wonderful bargains :P

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

To add to the confusion, there is no "NN" anywhere on the pen. 400NN also has just "Pelikan 400" engraved on the cap ring...

Edited by WJM

There should be 400NN stamped on the back side of the clip, which becomes visible when clip ring is unscrewed and clip is removed.

There should be 400NN stamped on the back side of the clip, which becomes visible when clip ring is unscrewed and clip is removed.

Didn't know that one!

Is the 400N also labelled that way?

It is visible without removing the clip. Interestingly the 500NN is marked NN RG.

Edited by Matlock

Peter

ETA: I appreciate that we're talking 400NN, but for newer FPN'ers, eBay sellers cause a lot of confusion with these by poorly labeling their offerings... 400, 400nn, 400Nn, etc... to say nothing of the plainly misidentified ones, or the frankenpens with incorrect caps. Although, as my dear friend Lam1 will tell you, good eyes, incorrect ID's, and quick mouse clicking will sometimes yield wonderful bargains :P

:D

Sometimes one does get lucky, right? And thank you for confirming that I, indeed, did get the 400N.

Oh that pic, with those three tortoises :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: . Wonderful!

This information is really awesome Im learning a lot and appreciate everyones posts. Will definitely post pictures once it comes in. And I believe it is one of those learning lessons for me. But at least I feel better that at least its a really good chance its not a fake. Just wanted people to know Im still paying attention