The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Newton Pens Give Away

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 17:44

This kind of thing is part of the "noise" people dislike on social media. Using it as your free advertising pipe works, for now, but irritates 100 times more people than you obtain as customers.

Sponsored Content

#22 LanceSaintPaul

LanceSaintPaul

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 18:18

For some of us, Social media is an added layer of unnecessary distraction in an already too overloaded world.  To get a discount, I joined FB under an alias to prevent anyone I know trying to contact me there.  I'd rather interact with those I care about via face-to-face, voicephone, skype, email, IM, or written.  I'm on LinkedIn only due to it being a modern era necessity...I hate it.

Me too sorry to say (not the alias part). Pen is lovely & will make someone a terrific prize. 

The moment it was revealed that Facebook was engaging in psychological experimentation of how users responded to various "inputs" emotionally I left. That PsyOps as far as I'm concerned. Count me out. (It underpinned the PsyWarfare that went on during the last election cycle & continues to this day.)

The other social media outlets get lumped in the same bag as far as I'm concerned. They are similarly structured.

Just letting you know how it is for me - why I am unable to participate.

#23 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,485 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 19:58

I don't advertise on facebook - I don't pay to advertise anywhere.  If people follow me on the social media apps and they want to see what I post, then they'll be able to participate in the giveaways I have every now and then.  None of my posts are shoved in anybody's faces though.  

This forum is exactly the same as facebook though - you go to a place on the internet and you read things other people write, reply if you want, block people who get on your nerves, and enjoy the company of people in the same hobby as you.  It's just a different URL to this one.  Everything online can be a time sink if you let it.  :)

The reason I host the giveaways on one social media platform in particular are just to make it easy for me to keep up with.  I couldn't pick a winner across 4 or 5 different forums.  That'd be a pain in my backside.  

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#24 stuckinohio

stuckinohio

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 20:24

I gotta tell all the naysayers who don't like Instagram (and I was one of them) that so far I think it's great!

Personally I'm glad Shawn did the give away because it caused me to join. I begrudgingly created a Facebook account a couple years ago for pens. I hated it then and I still hate it, or maybe hate it even more now with all the political garbage on there.

Haven't seen that on instagram yet. Thank you Shawn!

#25 LanceSaintPaul

LanceSaintPaul

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 20:38

I don't advertise on facebook - I don't pay to advertise anywhere.  If people follow me on the social media apps and they want to see what I post, then they'll be able to participate in the giveaways I have every now and then.  None of my posts are shoved in anybody's faces though.  

This forum is exactly the same as facebook though - you go to a place on the internet and you read things other people write, reply if you want, block people who get on your nerves, and enjoy the company of people in the same hobby as you.  It's just a different URL to this one.  Everything online can be a time sink if you let it.  :)

The reason I host the giveaways on one social media platform in particular are just to make it easy for me to keep up with.  I couldn't pick a winner across 4 or 5 different forums.  That'd be a pain in my backside.  

I agree that it makes sense for you to go this way. But if you think one forum is the same as say Facebook you fail to grasp the structural differences & intents. It's not simply about time. 

Regardless I am happy for you to have your venture succeed. And I certainly don't expect you alter what you feel fits best for you and your business. You make great pens. Thanks for listening.

#26 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,485 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 20:49

I agree that it makes sense for you to go this way. But if you think one forum is the same as say Facebook you fail to grasp the structural differences & intents. It's not simply about time. 

Regardless I am happy for you to have your venture succeed. And I certainly don't expect you alter what you feel fits best for you and your business. You make great pens. Thanks for listening.

I don't mean that they're literally the same as each other, believe me I know the structural differences and intents.  They both give people a way to talk about the things they want to talk about.  If one place has forum rules keeping political/religious/whatever topics out of it (like FPN) vs a place that doesn't care if you mention that stuff (other forums or FB), then yeah, that's a difference you should consider.  I like FPN b/c it sort of forces you to keep on topic (pens) and leave all the other stuff out.  What I think is the same about this place, facebook, and all the other forums, is that people choose to go to whichever spot they like, and talk about the stuff they like.  If you go to a place where politics or religion gets dragged into that story about your Parker 51, and people argue and fight over it, and you choose to keep visiting that place, then cool.

Yeah the layout is different, but that's not that big of a deal from my perspective.  People are still talking about the stuff they like.  Nobody is forcing anybody to consume anything they don't want to consume.  In that way, they're all the same.  Maybe one place gets more eyeballs than the other, but that's a different topic.  :)

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#27 LanceSaintPaul

LanceSaintPaul

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 22:39

Thanks. 

Now back to important matters.

Those Prospector models, that sculpting - they entice. 

#28 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,986 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 00:23

Even if the subgroups of these other social media sites were as good:

1) I'm already stretching myself with FPN and FPGeeks.  So, I would only join another group if I were to drop either FPN or FPGeeks.

2) If they're nearly the same as FPN, why coerce FPN-addicts to go elsewhere for their FP jones?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#29 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,485 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:58

Like I said - I'm not trying to force or coerce anybody to go anywhere else.  I held the contest on Instagram b/c it's easiest for me to reach a wider audience there -  even people who may not be that into fountain pens.  :)

Sponsored Content

|