The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

FPN appearing slow

Dearest Member or Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,
Due to a continuing DDoS attack, and a hardware malfunction, FPN is moving only slowly. Hosting Support is dealing with both issues, but unfortunately both take time. Until these both resolve, FPN will continue to be slow. ETA is not available yet. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Warm regards, the FPN Moderator & Admin Team

Photo

Bonjour From The Oldest Incorporated City In Canada!

introduction

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Johane

Johane

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2018 - 14:59

Hello,

My name is Johane. I'm from a little bit all over the place, but mostly from New Brunswick Canada. Like my Acadian ancestors, I've lived a life of migration - though in my case it was usually due to employment rather than anything else.

I'm very novice in the fountain pen world. I'm in the process of doing some research for buying a fountain pen as a gift for my husband. He has never had one before, but he has an appreciation for nice pens... I have previously owned a Sheaffer fountain pen some 25+ years ago, but it was scratchy and small, and it used proprietary cartridges only that were often difficult to find. Let's just say that it wasn't what I had in mind when I thought of a fountain pen. After years of moving it around from one place to another and never using it, I just chucked it and kind of gave up on having a fountain pen. Even so, my penchant for the versatility of fountain pens didn't die, especially in inks. Although I never used a fountain pen again, I continued to seek out uncommon pens but most especially uncommon pen ink colours - even if they were in the "typical" ballpoint or roller point pens.

About a year ago a friend came by for a visit and showed me her nascent collection of fountain pens. To be honest, I was a little jealous. They were nice... But they're still impossible to find locally, so I didn't think much of it. Personally, I like to see & feel a pen in my hand. I have sensory perception issues, so it's hard for me to invest in something like a fountain pen bought online because it's such a subjective and personal item.

We'll see how things go, in the meantime though, I appreciate being able to turn to this website for research & a lot of invaluable information. Thank you for being here. I certainly would have appreciated something like this all of those years ago when I had my first fountain pen!

À la prochaine!

Johane

Sponsored Content

#2 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 15:18

Welcome!!!  I did not know that about the incorporation, weird wild stuff...  :D

There should be no end of potential advice of purchasing a good and modestly price pen for another.

#3 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2018 - 17:08

Greetings and welcome to FPN.
Khan

#4 Wahl

Wahl

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,651 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2018 - 17:16

Soyez la bienvenue, Johane

:W2FPN:

#5 tbickiii

tbickiii

tbickiii

• Member - Gold

• 4,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2018 - 18:44

Hello and welcome from Baton Rouge, Louisiana...Enjoy your time here

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

#6 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2018 - 21:15

Welcome home.  Pull up a stump and set a spell.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#7 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• 3,731 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2018 - 22:16

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. 

#8 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 22:42

Hello and welcome to FPN.  :W2FPN:

#9 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:51

Welcome aboard, from Charleston, SC. By the way, I don’t seem to be able to see the name of the oldest incorporated city in Canada in your post. Would that be St. John’s?

#10 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,978 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:03

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#11 Johane

Johane

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:54

Welcome aboard, from Charleston, SC. By the way, I don’t seem to be able to see the name of the oldest incorporated city in Canada in your post. Would that be St. John’s?

Actually, it's Saint John New Brunswick. You're thinking St. John's Newfoundland... Both cities are often confused one for the other. At least it's not half-way around the world like Sydney Nova Scotia and Sydney Australia! It happens at least a few times a year where someone ends up here instead of there or vice versa. 

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I see that I have still very much to learn, but I've finally settled on buying a Ratnam Supreme with a carbon steel nib for my husband... I'm hoping that he'll enjoy it.

Johane

#12 apatience

apatience

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:12

Hello and welcome from Melbourne, Australia

Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts - Winston Churchill

#13 MalcolmH

MalcolmH

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,098 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:20

Bonjour, Johane! :W2FPN:

#14 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 14,434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2018 - 19:12

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RPC123-Pilot-Metropolitan-Collection-Fountain-Pen-Silver-Barrel-Classic-Fine-Blk/292087669236?hash=item4401c821f4:g:DlkAAOSwWWxY86~c 

Welcome, Johane !  

Why not postpone getting your husband a "nice" fountain pen, until you can determine whether 

he likes to use an fp ?  You might save everybody injured feelings.  The above is a Pilot Metropolitan, which is my first choice for college use.  AT under 20 CAD, your risk is minor. Get one for yourself,  (You ACTUALLY want a fountain pen.)  Try it.  What do you like about it ?  What would you change ?  Such information is valuable in choosing future pens.  Your husband can borrow, and try it.  You can ask the same questions about HIS preferences.  

He might hate writing with fountain pens, and has no interest whatsoever.  Would it not be good to know BEFORE buying him a NICE one ?   

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#15 Henricum_Tropen

Henricum_Tropen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:05

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

#16 Johane

Johane

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2018 - 13:11

Welcome, Johane !  

Why not postpone getting your husband a "nice" fountain pen, until you can determine whether 

he likes to use an fp ?  You might save everybody injured feelings.  The above is a Pilot Metropolitan, which is my first choice for college use.  AT under 20 CAD, your risk is minor. Get one for yourself,  (You ACTUALLY want a fountain pen.)  Try it.  What do you like about it ?  What would you change ?  Such information is valuable in choosing future pens.  Your husband can borrow, and try it.  You can ask the same questions about HIS preferences.  

He might hate writing with fountain pens, and has no interest whatsoever.  Would it not be good to know BEFORE buying him a NICE one ?   

Actually, I know that he loves unique pens, so even if he ends up not using it, I'm sure that he'll still enjoy having it as a unique gift, especially considering that this particular pen has a special significance to us. However, I'm sure that he'll still enjoy learning about fountain pens over the next little while.

The reason that I chose to not go with a more "economical" fountain pen option is that I had other considerations to keep in mind. His current favourite pen has a grip diameter of 14mm and it's still too small for his hand. Unfortunately, most pens that have a larger grip diameter are significantly more expensive.

I am looking at getting a fountain pen for myself as well and, considering that I have a significantly smaller hand, I'm thankful that I have more economical option in fountain pens! Funny thing is, once we start having fountain pens coming into our home, I have a sneaky suspicion that our daughters will be looking for some too, so I am still "pricing" pens out for upcoming birthdays as gifts.  ;) Thanks for the link!

And to everyone, thank you for the warm welcome!

Johane

#17 Johane

Johane

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:29

Finally broke down & got a pen for myself... Noodler's Ahab with a 10 ml bottle of Herbin Bleu Pervenche... We'll see how this goes! Wish me luck! Should be here in a week.

#18 SergioAA

SergioAA

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:34

Welcome !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: introduction

Sponsored Content

|