Replacement B Nib For Jinhao Pens

tvradio

I just got a couple of Jinhao pens from Goulet. The nibs are in M and are ... serviceable ... yet less smooth than the narrower Japanese M nib in my Pilot Metropolitan, which I prefer. If I keep these pens I need to make them smoother. And since I've been interested in playing with broader nibs than I own (that aren't stubs), I was thinking of getting a replacement nib for at least one of the Jinhaos.

(1)

Both Goulet Pens and Anderson Pens sell replacement #6 Jowo nibs. From the look of them, the Goulet nib and the Anderson nib could be identical but I would like to be sure. Can anyone speak to any functional differences between them?

(2)

Replacement nibs are available in 2-tone as well as in black. I remember SBRE Brown saying on videos that he believes that black coatings seem to make nibs write a touch less smoothly. Has anyone else seen that with black and/or two-tone nibs or are the differences mainly cosmetic? Not really considering either of them, just curious.

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tvradio

• IndigoBOB

• DasKaltblut

• PaganArcher

(1) Nemosine nibs will also work in Jinhaos.

(2) I have multiple black nibs (Lamy steel and Pilot gold), and they don't seem less smooth to me. I have heard some theorize that it's only an issue until the black coating wears off the tipping (if it's even on the tipping to begin with).

(3) You could get micromesh and smooth the nibs that come on the Jinhaos. (Instead of or in addition to getting additional nibs.)

Since I'd like to try something broader, buying one nib would kill two birds with one stone. I might get some micromesh to try on one of the pens, though, thanks.

How do the $15 replacement Nemosine nibs compare to the $15 Jowos (or, at least the replacement Jowos sold in the US)?

So so far options include Jowo (in different finishes), Knox, and Nemosine.

Any known differences between them to help make a choice?

So so far options include Jowo (in different finishes), Knox, and Nemosine.

Any known differences between them to help make a choice?

I have examples of all three. I find them all to be roughly the same in regards to smoothness, at least at the start. I usually reduce this smoothness as I prefer something less than butter on hot glass.

The Jowo's are the better quality out of those nibs. These'll cost you $15 from Anderson and Goulet: Same nibs, just different branding.

Knox is a step down, for $10 on Birminhampens.com, but still a solid nib, though if you are certain you like they way broads write, I'd go with a Jowo, which is a superior quality and has a subtle yet better feeling writing experience. Knox's do come in Oblique Broads and Oblique Double broads if you're looking for something different.

The Nemosine nibs are good, but lesser quality than a Jowo IMO and a little more comparable to what you get with a Knox nib. You can get the Nemosine's for $10 at Jetpens.com. What's nice about the Nemosine's is that they also come in 0.8 and 0.6 stubs if you're looking for something a little different.

I think the price points accurately reflect the difference between all 3 nibs. I personally love the way a Broad Jowo feels in a Jinhao x750 and also an x450. Typically, broads are too smooth for me in a lighter pen, but the added weight of those Jinhao's adds a little more friction that gives a pleasant feedback to the smooth writing experience, especially with that of a Jowo.

But with that in mind, it's honestly hard to go wrong with any of these Broad nibs, since they are all descent quality and since you don't have to worry about the toothiness that occurs more frequently in finer nibs.

If it were me, Jowo Broad for sure.

Try Knox nibs from Birmingham pens. Superb, especially the OBs.

Seconded. I got a variety pack (B, OB, 2B I think they were) from him before the name change (the Xfountainpes.com days) and they were all very nice nibs.

Jinhaos are friction fit, so swapping them should be easy.

Goulet is a bit expensive ... a single steel nib alone costs at least twice (or more) as much as the pen.

Oh. Also consider Fountain Pen Revolution as a potential source, but I can't speak for them, not having ordered nibs from there yet.

-k

• 2 weeks later...

I put a Knox OBB in a Jinhao 250 (takes a #5 nib, but they also have these for #6 nibs) and I love it. It is like writing with butter. Super easy to swap in.

25213338307_ded9b1fb1d_b.jpg

40085356251_427fed18d4_b.jpg

Seconded. I got a variety pack (B, OB, 2B I think they were) from him before the name change (the Xfountainpes.com days) and they were all very nice nibs.

Jinhaos are friction fit, so swapping them should be easy.

Goulet is a bit expensive ... a single steel nib alone costs at least twice (or more) as much as the pen.

Oh. Also consider Fountain Pen Revolution as a potential source, but I can't speak for them, not having ordered nibs from there yet.

-k

FPR nibs are of a lower quality. There are reports that of having trouble fitting #6 FPR's into x750's.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/4zi9ga/fountain_pen_revolution_6_nib_doesnt_fit_my/

I'd stick with at least a Knox nib.

I put a Knox OBB in a Jinhao 250 (takes a #5 nib, but they also have these for #6 nibs) and I love it. It is like writing with butter. Super easy to swap in.

Unfortunately my normal writing angle is lefty overwriter such that the nib usually points back, past my right shoulder, aimed at someone if they were sitting immediately to my right. I briefly tried several different nib types and obliques did not seem to work well, although I got on better with an Architect nib for some reason.

The smoothest nib I own is my Japanese M Metropolitan, and the 2nd smoothest is one of the two (allegedly identical) Jinhao M nibs - though I need to put some pressure down on those nibs whereas the line glides with no pressure needed in the Pilot.

From what I've subsequently read in other threads, this is common, and that one reason beginners tend to like broader nibs is because they've spent their lives pressing down with ballpoint pens etc so they adapt more easily with broader nibs that need (or at least do better with) pressure. That info disappoints me a bit, since I was hoping for a butter-smooth B nib experience where I didn't have to lay down more pressure than I do with my Metropolitan....

FPR nibs are of a lower quality. There are reports that of having trouble fitting #6 FPR's into x750's.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/4zi9ga/fountain_pen_revolution_6_nib_doesnt_fit_my/

I'd stick with at least a Knox nib.

It's not question of lower quality for FPR nibs, but of a different shape. Though the 'business end' of the nibs are comparable, the bottom (or back) end of Bock and JoWo nibs is more tapered, while the FPR nibs are more square - it's a little hard to explain,but it simply means they end up being too thick to easily jam in between a Jinhao nib collar (grip section) and feed.

Lot's of people prefer broad nibs who aren't beginners, so I'm not sure where you are going with that. It has nothing to do with pressure. Broads are smoother in general...any if the suggestions in this thread, Goulet, Knox will be smooth.

Edited by DasKaltblut

Lot's of people prefer broad nibs who aren't beginners, so I'm not sure where you are going with that. It has nothing to do with pressure. Broads are smoother in general...any if the suggestions in this thread, Goulet, Knox will be smooth.

Well, I got it from this part of this post:

"Wider nibs work better for those using More pressure. In the end, most people like to have some feeling of nib-to-paper connection so that they can at least perceive where the pen is on the paper :P and some like more than others .... and if you have a lighter touch then that nib-to-paper connection with a Finer nib will be equivalent to one with a heavier touch using a broader nib. It's very common, and it happened to me, that Fountain Pen Newbies prefer broader nibs because they are so used to pressing down like with a ballpoint or even a gel pen. Fountain pens that work properly need no added pressure to put down a solid full line. New FP users develop a finesse that allows them to use less pressure shifting their preference to finer nibs."

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/332520-replacement-nib-differences-cosmetic-only/?do=findComment&comment=3995846

Well I just flat out disagree with the end of that quote. I've been writing with fountain pens for 30 years and don't press down at all, yet prefer broader nibs because I like a wide line. I know I'm not the only person who does too. Why else would pen manufactuers make broad nibs? It isn't to cater to new users. If broads are easier for new users that's coincidental.

Edited by DasKaltblut

It's not question of lower quality for FPR nibs, but of a different shape. Though the 'business end' of the nibs are comparable, the bottom (or back) end of Bock and JoWo nibs is more tapered, while the FPR nibs are more square - it's a little hard to explain,but it simply means they end up being too thick to easily jam in between a Jinhao nib collar (grip section) and feed.

I didn't combine the points. I stated separately that FPR are lower quality nibs and I think the OP would prefer something better.

The fit is a separate aspect of dimensions. I never said they were related. The two sentences were two different points.

Well I just flat out disagree with the end of that quote. I've been writing with fountain pens for 30 years and don't press down at all, yet prefer broader nibs because I like a wide line. I know I'm not the only person who does too. Why else would pen manufactuers make broad nibs? It isn't to cater to new users. If broads are easier for new users that's coincidental.

lol, that's my quote. He's been using it often.

I'll edit it with adding, New FP users develop a finesse that allows them to use less pressure Broadening their preference to finer nibs."

And if you notice I didn't say "Broads" I said Broader. I was speaking relatively. Shifting may not have been the best word, but it's still synonymous enough with Broadening to make that point that transitioning from ballpoints to fountain pens will likely involve a grace period of a shifting usage of pressure on the nib, shifting or broadening the preference of that user. Whether or not that preference reaches the threshold of choice as to whether what sized nib is used is up to other factors and the FP user.

I have a Nemosine B nib in one of my Jinhaos. The Nemosine B nib is BROAD. Almost too broad, depending on the ink. It's great though! I recommend Nemosine nibs.

Thanks. My local pen club has a meeting on Thursday so I'm going to see if anyone has Jowo, Nemosine, Knox or FPR nibs in any pens they brought with them.

And if you notice I didn't say "Broads" I said Broader. I was speaking relatively. Shifting may not have been the best word, but it's still synonymous enough with Broadening to make that point that transitioning from ballpoints to fountain pens will likely involve a grace period of a shifting usage of pressure on the nib, shifting or broadening the preference of that user. Whether or not that preference reaches the threshold of choice as to whether what sized nib is used is up to other factors and the FP user.

The Knox broad isn't that much wider than the Jinhao #6, it's a noticeable size up, but if your looking for a really big difference it may not be what you want. The Goulet/Jowo broad is huge, it's like writing with a crayon. Too big for me.

Edited by frankb3