Uh-oh, not going as planned.
I had decided this would be my workshop pen, thus fully justifying its assembly while saving my better pens from the sorts of damage apt to happen in a place full of metal tools, concrete floor and things that forcefully go bump.
The nib and feed were so clogged they took multiple cycles of USC and bulb flushing to clear. Then I noticed a bit of fluff trapped in the feed below the breather hole, so I knocked out the nib and feed to finish the job properly (could have saved some time there).
While at it, I examined the nib more closely to ensure the alignment and gap were as good as they could be. They were, except for one little problem.
One piece of tipping had come off cleanly (I am presuming it existed), the other tine had a tiny chip in the end. In circumstances like this, what is a man to do? You are right. Think of duct tape.
Before touching that, I put away the Waterman barrel with good lever box and took out the one with terminally broken lever box. The latex sac also went back into a drawer for more fruitful use. Next, I polished the bare golden nib briefly on some 1200 grit to remove the fracture then on mesh, until the ends looked decently smooth. Holding only the nib I dipped it in ink to find I could lay down a line.
Sensitive pen-lovers should look away now.
I ripped out the lever box bits from the old barrel and applied duct tape over the rectangular hole. A dash of ink into the barrel, some silicone grease and press in the reassembled section, et voilà, a working ED tipless Duct Pen.
It's a bit scratchy. I think a bit of polishing around the sides of the nib may improve it.
Still I can safely say that I have a pen that writes, made from almost entirely useless parts. And spent an entertaining hour or two.
When you receive new information you can change your mind, or you can close it; or you can try shooting the messenger.