Need Help Deciding

Waltz For Zizi

What pen to buy for my birthday  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Birthday pen

• Montblanc 145 platinum
    • Parker premier soft brown
    • Montblanc 146 unicef

Hello! My birthday is coming soon and I need a new pen to buy (not really), but I am unable to decide myself what pen, between two, a new Montblanc 145 platinum, and an also new Parker premier soft brown. They are both selling for the same price (120$). I personally like lighter pens, though I have some 50-60 grams pens also that I use, and I know Premier is heavy and the Montblanc light, but the Montblanc is sooooo boring. The prices are very nice though.

P.S. I also am tempted to go all out and buy a Montblanc 146 unicef for about 350$ (triple the money), it is in my eye not so borring as the 145 (it has a little bue stone on the cap :) lol ).

What do you guys and gals think I should do? Is the 146 worth triple?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waltz For Zizi

• Bluey

• ParkerDuofold

• james3paris

This is probably not the answer you are looking for. If you want a pen that isn't boring I would suggest going to Scriptorium Pens (https://scriptoriumpens.com) or Newton Pens (https://newtonpens.com) and create your own. There are also very good European custom pen makers. The one drawback is most likely you would not get them in time for your birthday.

This is probably not the answer you are looking for. If you want a pen that isn't boring I would suggest going to Scriptorium Pens (https://scriptoriumpens.com) or Newton Pens (https://newtonpens.com) and create your own. There are also very good European custom pen makers. The one drawback is most likely you would not get them in time for your birthday.

Thank you for your answer, but this is definitely not what I am looking for. I never bought a pen from another country (don't have a pay pall acount and I don't know how to use it), but if I were to buy one, first it would be either a pilot 823 or a sailor pro gear in white, nothing else.

I wouldn't pay more than $10 for any of those 3 pens. What else is available?

Really? Why?

What would you pay mare than 10$ for?

Really? Why?

What would you pay mare than 10$ for?

Because I don't think any of them are very good. The Montblancs alone used to cost a fraction of that amount before Dunhill took over and pushed up the prices astronomically to artificially send them into the "luxury market", so you're not getting even slightly good value for money. Their nibs frequently have issues such as babys bottom. The Parker is not much better.

I would much rather have the Sailor that you mentioned.

Because I don't think any of them are very good. The Montblancs alone used to cost a fraction of that amount before Dunhill took over and pushed up the prices astronomically to artificially send them into the "luxury market", so you're not getting even slightly good value for money. Their nibs frequently have issues such as babys bottom. The Parker is not much better.

I would much rather have the Sailor that you mentioned.

Ok, I respect your opinion, though somewhat irrational. I doubt there is a sane person in the world that would not buy a Montblanc for 10$, even if it is a (bleep), as you say, for the chance of selling it tenfold to the 'fanboys'.

Ok, I respect your opinion, though somewhat irrational. I doubt there is a sane person in the world that would not buy a Montblanc for 10$, even if it is a (bleep), as you say, for the chance of selling it tenfold to the 'fanboys'.

Well, I suppose that's the best option. But it's far from irrational because they're essentially cheap pens at expensive prices, so that's why I wouldn't pay more than $10 if I had to use it, of which you imply that you intend to do. Much better for collectors/sellers than pen users.

Edited by Bluey

...What else is available?

I'll echo these sentiments... are there any other options on the table? :unsure:

If not, I guess I'd go with one of the MB's... the modern Parkers, (such as the Premier), aren't that great... except for the Sonnet and Duofold lines.

- Anthony

I'll echo these sentiments... are there any other options on the table? :unsure:

If not, I guess I'd go with one of the MB's... the modern Parkers, (such as the Premier), aren't that great... except for the Sonnet and Duofold lines.

- Anthony

Waldmann Pantera black for 150$.

Montblanc Hitchcock though not new for 500$

Edited by Waltz For Zizi

Hi Waltz,

Get the Waldmann... they're great pens... I really enjoy mine.

- Anthony

Of the three, I would go with the 146 unicef.

Here is a whole thread of irrational.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/331206-for-those-who-hate-montblancwhy-just-curious/

Exactly!

Hello! My birthday is coming soon and I need a new pen to buy (not really), but I am unable to decide myself what pen, between two, a new Montblanc 145 platinum, and an also new Parker premier soft brown. They are both selling for the same price (120$). I personally like lighter pens, though I have some 50-60 grams pens also that I use, and I know Premier is heavy and the Montblanc light, but the Montblanc is sooooo boring. The prices are very nice though.

P.S. I also am tempted to go all out and buy a Montblanc 146 unicef for about 350$ (triple the money), it is in my eye not so borring as the 145 (it has a little bue stone on the cap :) lol ).

What do you guys and gals think I should do? Is the 146 worth triple?

Hello again, Waltz,

With this bug running through me, I seem to get more lucid at night... but all the prices you quoted above are pretty low... especially for the MB's, but even the new Parker is going for less than half its typical retail price at only $120...

...are you sure these pens aren't bootlegs? Especially considering that MB is one of the most pirated companies in the world.

$150 for that Waldmann Pantera has been the only "legitimate" price I've seen in this post, so far. How well do you know the sellers of the other pens?

Take care. :)

- Anthony

You mention parker.

What about a 51 or a 75. A good 51 can write incredibly. You can sometimes get nice 75 sterling silver in your budget since these seem to be always for sale on that certain auction site. 75s are are a decent pen.

I love my MB 146's and would think the 145 is smaller then I would like. No idea about that Parker. I have no idea where you would get the 146 Unicef for $350. That would be a steal. I think even gray market ones would be higher then that and I have not seen that model come up used often. The standard 146 comes up used in the $200-$300 price range often.