Cross Verve Cap Issue - Attempting A Fix

petra

I have 2 Cross Verve pens that I really love - the nibs are amazing. But they both suffer from the not-quite-snug-enough cap problem afflicting the Verve model, so I only ever use them at home. I've been trying to figure out a fix for a while now. So today I'm experimenting. I'm dabbing clear nail polish on the inside rim of the cap to see if it will make the cap just a bit more snug. I'll let the nail polish dry & harden overnight. I'll let you know if this helps at all, or if this turns out just to be a goofy idea!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RMN

• petra

• inkstainedruth

• Donald2

It's one of the weak points (the clip is another) of an otherways great pen.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I picked up a Cross Verve with a B nib at a thrift store catering to people who do arts and crafts stuff. I hadn't been in the place for a couple of years, but had to go to the place around the corner that is basically the same thing but for building materials, and then killing some time before going to a pen club meeting that night, and then, well, there it was. I paid a buck plus tax. I then took it to the meeting and someone very kindly gave me the correct converter for it. But I'm having trouble remembering to hold it up high enough on the section (the design of the pen is very pretty but doesn't exactly follow the dictates of "Form follows function" -- especially where the section and nib parts meet...). So the last time I used it my hand was a complete mess.... :wacko:

But, well, hey, it cost me a buck. When I saw how much one of my least favorite (with good reason!) eBay sellers was asking for one that was almost identical, except for the nib width and that it had the box, I was staggered.... :o

And yeah, I've been warned about the clip....

I don't recall having issues with the cap, but then I really only have had the pen since the summer, and haven't used it a lot. So let us know how the nail polish experiments work.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Success! The nail polish trick has in fact helped! The cap is a bit more snug, it's a notable difference. So now I'll "fix" the cap on my other Verve. I suppose the nail polish will wear off in time, but at least that's easy to repeat.

I've often read about the clip problem... I never use the clips so it's not an issue for me. But the nibs - I adore the nibs! Both of my Verves have gold nibs & the writing experience is wonderful. I guess I don't have the problem of holding the pen too low on the section, like Ruth. And I love the overall design.

My Cross pens have always been among my most reliable... although mostly boring, design-wise. I wish Cross would challenge their designers, and take a design like the Verve to a whole new level!

The gold nibs are made by Pilot/Namiki and are SMOOOOOOOOTH

I have 3 Verves and 4 nibs between them, al sizes. Even the XF is smooth.

Love them.

I wish I found (another) one for a buck plus taxes....

D.ick

~

~

I wish I found (another) one for a buck plus taxes....

D.ick

Well, I suspect that the nib on mine isn't gold, but I don't know enough about the model.

OTOH, the Cross Solo that I bought from the estate of a friend is a very nice smooth writer -- as well as bringing fond memories.

She and I had some nice chats about pens and paper, and about four years ago my husband and I commissioned some handmade books from her for a special occasion -- I was getting a major award in the organization we all belonged to -- one of which was going to be for people to write stuff in. I wanted FP friendly paper, and brought several Parker Vectors with me that day, all inked up with different iron gall inks, and I knew that if I went to her she would understand what I wanted (there's another person I know who also does hand-bookbinding, and his stuff is very good, but I don't think he would have quite grasped why the paper would be so important to me).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 months later...

I have a Verve Merlot -- love the nib, hate that I have to be so careful at where I have to hold it. The only pens that are worse for leaking are a Conklin Mark Twain Crescent filler and a Richard Binder Belmont Pen. Love the perms, but they are close to unusable.

Edited by jameswatts

Made in China

And?

So's your iPhone or similar devices.

D.ick

~

~

And?

So's your iPhone or similar devices.

D.ick

And that's why they have issues.