Chrissy

Today I'm reviewing SBRE Brown ink.
It's manufactured by Diamine and retailed exclusively by Akkerman inks.
SBRE Brown is a yellow/brown ink. Instead of comparing it against brown inks, I think it looks most similar to Diamine Ochre (aka Conway Stewart Kingsand.)
It's an attractive shade, ideal for writers who don't like reddish brown inks.

• Flow Rate: Good. Felt neither wet nor dry in the pen & paper combinations I used..
  • Lubrication: Good with all 3 nibs I used, on several different papers.
  • Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
  • Start-up: Immediate.
  • Saturation: Not a saturated ink.
  • Shading Potential: Some seen.
  • Sheen: None seen.
  • Show-Through:
    • Clairefontaine Crokbook Paper (not much. Writing on both sides would be acceptable.)
    • Midori paper.
    • Oxford paper.
    • Rhodia Graph paper.
    • Tomoe River 52gsm paper.
    • Cheaper generic 80 & 90gsm printer papers & lined pads.
  • Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: None seen.
  • Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after over 1 week in the pen
  • Staining (pen): Not seen after several days - very easy clean-up
  • Staining (hands): Easy clean-up with bar soap.
  • Clogging: Not seen. Seems unlikely.
  • Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof, but has good water resistance.
  • Availability: Available from Akkerman Inks web-site in 120ml bottles. For UK buyers the cost is £35 including VAT & P&P.

fpn_1516819060__diamine_sbre_brown.jpeg

fpn_1516819122__diamine_sbre_brown_4.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Charles Skinner

• lapis

• Bill P

Thanks for the review. Looks like a very nice yellow-leaning brown. And that's a good thing as there are so many red-leaning browns out there, and many seem to be basically the same.

I simply cannot justify a 120 ml bottle of ink.

Apparently Vanness in the US has the SBRE Brown for $38. And it looks like Anderson will have it as well for that price. There may be other vendors offering it as well. Those were the only two I checked.

Edited by white_lotus

Chrissy:

Thanks for your review....I noticed you described the ink as "Brand/Name Akkerman (Diamine)" and "It's manufactured by Diamine and retailed exclusively by Akkerman inks."

Have you been able to confirm that in fact this Akkerman ink is made by Diamine?

I realize there has been lots of speculation regrading the ultimate source of Akkerman inks, but I have never seen anyone who has been actually able to confirm the source(s)..

Bill

Chrissy:

Thanks for your review....I noticed you described the ink as "Brand/Name Akkerman (Diamine)" and "It's manufactured by Diamine and retailed exclusively by Akkerman inks."

Have you been able to confirm that in fact this Akkerman ink is made by Diamine?

I realize there has been lots of speculation regrading the ultimate source of Akkerman inks, but I have never seen anyone who has been actually able to confirm the source(s)..

Bill

You're welcome. :) Yes. I have confirmed that Diamine manufactured this ink and that it is retailed by Akkerman inks. :) No speculation necessary. :)

If you go to the Akkerman inks web-site and watch Stephen Brown's You Tube video about his ink, he confirms it is made by Diamine at the beginning of the clip.

Thanks for the review. Looks like a very nice yellow-leaning brown. And that's a good thing as there are so many red-leaning browns out there, and many seem to be basically the same.

I simply cannot justify a 120 ml bottle of ink.

Apparently Vanness in the US has the SBRE Brown for $38. And it looks like Anderson will have it as well for that price. There may be other vendors offering it as well. Those were the only two I checked.

You're welcome. :) I assume Vanness and Anderson are buying it directly from Akkerman inks?

You're welcome. :) Yes. I have confirmed that Diamine manufactured this ink and that it is retailed by Akkerman inks. :)

well, thank-you for the confirmation...I believe you are the first person who has confirmed what some have speculated...at least you have confirmed it on this specific ink.

well, thank-you for the confirmation...I believe you are the first person who has confirmed what some have speculated...at least you have confirmed it on this specific ink.

I'm not sure why there was ever any doubt. :) Stephen Brown himself confirms it, and he also confirms that it is the same ink, and was originally made by Diamine when it was last produced. :) So it wasn't a secret before either. :D

I would love it if I could buy a 60ml bottle, but I can't really justify having a 120ml bottle of ink either. It's too expensive when you have to add on VAT and shipping from the Netherlands. -_-

Thanks for the very informative review. I don't know if SBRE means Stephen Brown RE (whatever the RE means) but can you also confirm that all Akkerman inks are all manufactured by Diamine?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for the very informative review. I don't know if SBRE means Stephen Brown RE (whatever the RE means) but can you also confirm that all Akkerman inks are all manufactured by Diamine?

You're welcome. :)

I thought that SBRE were all of his initials. Is that incorrect? :huh: No, I can't confirm that all Akkerman inks are manufactured by Diamine. -_-

You're a "super Moderator". Doesn't that mean that you should super know? ;) Heck if I know. I'm a plebe.

It was for sale today at Vanness for a while. Sold out again. I just happened to look for it & it was there. I ordered it before I got the e-mail message that it was available.

I remember from one of his videos he explained the origin of each of the names that comprise his name; instead of searching for it I looked for his "Curriculum Vitae" & found Dr. (SBRE) Brown is: "Stephen Brendan Ronald Erik Brown."

I remember from one of his videos he explained the origin of each of the names that comprise his name; instead of searching for it I looked for his "Curriculum Vitae" & found Dr. (SBRE) Brown is: "Stephen Brendan Ronald Erik Brown."

Thank you. :) That's worth knowing. :D Four Christian names is a wee bit long-winded though. :D

Four Christian names is a wee bit long-winded though. :D

Yes, but it does get around having a name that's far frm unique. Mr Brown has a choice Stephen Brown, SBRE BRown or some other combination of all the options his parents gave him.

I, for example, have Amanda Williams. Williams is the third most common surname in most English-speaking countries. Amanda is far from unheard of. In fact, do you have any idea how many artists there are on this planet called Amanda Williams...It's a problem. Maybe what I need is a nom de brush with a few more middle names. LOL. :lol:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Yes, but it does get around having a name that's far frm unique. Mr Brown has a choice Stephen Brown, SBRE BRown or some other combination of all the options his parents gave him.

I, for example, have Amanda Williams. Williams is the third most common surname in most English-speaking countries. Amanda is far from unheard of. In fact, do you have any idea how many artists there are on this planet called Amanda Williams...It's a problem. Maybe what I need is a nom de brush with a few more middle names. LOL. :lol:

LOL

Edited by Parkette

The Japanese artist known as Hokusai had a total of over 30 artist names of his own during his lifetime. Get to work finding yours! :)

In my case my full name is unique to me, so I don't need an Art Name, but I may now start to want one (or more...).

A rose by any other name...