New Sailor Bottles

annettefhorn

Yesterday I saw on the JetPens site that Sailor appears to be discontinuing the 50ml bottles of their 4 Seasons line, in favor of 20ml bottles with new artwork. That wouldn't bother me much, since I am not fond of Sailor's bottles, but the price of the smaller bottle is roughly the same! I still ordered a couple I hadn't seen before: Shimoyo (Frosty Night) and Yonaga (Long Autumn Night).

Humph. I am willing to spend a fair bit of cash on ink, but to suddenly more than double the price?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• white_lotus

• A Smug Dill

• lgsoltek

• KellyMcJ

This has been happening in Japan for a while. I'm not sure what Sailor is thinking. I fail to see why anyone would buy a 20 ml bottle of ink for the same price as the current 50 ml bottles of ink.

I certainly won't buy any of the little bottles. And if I ever run out of Sailor ink, which is unlikely, I have many other brands from which to choose.

Agree. I've been slowly collecting the Sailor colours which interested me over many months last year. When they're used up I won't be replacing them with the new small bottles. There are other brands just as nice in much more generous bottles. The cost of Iroshizuku, for example, is being reduced in their new bottle without reducing the quantity, making it much better value than Sailor and very nice ink as well.

Edited by AmandaW

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I like the idea of smaller bottles (not for the same price, obviously), because I find 50 ml of ink to be quite a lot.

I don't like their new bottles, though (especially the cap). I was hoping for a smaller, cuter version of the well known Sailor inkwell.

Edited by inotrym

Last year I bought Sailor inks because of this whole new bottle/old price situation. The only ink I really liked and would even consider buying at the new price is Rikyu-Cha, but I already got a spare bottle of that so I doubt I will need more of it anytime soon :P

I am unable to fill one of my pens from the 50ml Sailor bottles, because the design is so awful. (I had to fill the converter instead). So I welcome any new bottle design.

But if they are effectively doubling the price, I'm done with Sailor inks.

Is this just for their own colors or is it extending to the bespoke lines as well - Kobe, Bung Box, etc.?

Of the Four Seasons, I don't use Yama-dori much any more so the bottle I have should last awhile, leaving Miruai as the only one I might be likely to reorder but, even there, Diamine Dark Forest is a good alternative. Glad I bought those two bottles of Kana-cho, though, just in case.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

This has been happening in Japan for a while. I'm not sure what Sailor is thinking. I fail to see why anyone would buy a 20 ml bottle of ink for the same price as the current 50 ml bottles of ink.

I certainly won't buy any of the little bottles. And if I ever run out of Sailor ink, which is unlikely, I have many other brands from which to choose.

This. :huh: I don't like the squat Sailor bottle, but no way will I pay the same price that I pay now for a 20ml bottle. I don't know how Sailor could ever think this strategy might work. :(

This. :huh: I don't like the squat Sailor bottle, but no way will I pay the same price that I pay now for a 20ml bottle. I don't know how Sailor could ever think this strategy might work. :(

If you visit the Japanese pen shop web sites, they've had the 20 ml bottles of these inks listed as Sailor Jentle Four Seasons for some time. And some of those inks were exactly the same as the inks in the existing lineup. Last I looked ( month or so ago) some shops also state that when the 50 ml bottles are gone, there'll only be the 20 ml bottles. At least that's how I understood what google translate said. :) Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't make sense to have the same ink in 50 ml bottles at the price as that in 20 ml bottles.

I agree, this is a complete mystery to me. At least I have backups of Nioi-sumire and Shigure, with Do-you and Rikyu-cha on the way.

I won't pay the prices they are asking for the 50 ml bottles, so why would I pay that much for only 20 ml?

That's right, I wouldn't.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I received the two small bottles I ordered. The bottles are considerably better quality than Sailor's bigger bottles. They're like the small Iroshizuku bottles, but squatter. To me that's wasted on such a small quantity of ink. It would be one thing if you could get a bigger bottle of the same ink to refill your pretty little bottle with. Ugh. Not a fan of this move by Sailor.

As someone that really wants to collect all the Sailor Gentle inks this is pretty disappointing. I dont know whether to buy a whole set while the old bottles are still in stock somewhere. Or if i should find an alternative. I like the new bottle design, but i dont want to pay the same price for less than half as much ink.

I couldnt agree more. I like Sailor ink quite a bit but I wont pay more than double for it. Im going to order at least another bottle of each of my Sailor basic favorites: Jentle Blue and Black.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Kind of a shame... they make some colors I really like but there are so many ink options available now that I wont buy these just on principle.

I just cant see rewarding a company for more than doubling their prices. Great ink, but theres far too much competition out there. Sorry, Sailor!

Edited by Pentode

I'll wait some months to see where the prices will settle. After playing World of Warcraft for 11 years I have learned to wait and see what really happens (before every of WoW's 6 expansion the sky had, and will continue be falling because of this or that).

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)