Nib Exchange On Limited Editions

jconn

I was familiar with the policy that Montblanc will exchange nibs to a writer's preference within 6 weeks of purchase on standard edition fountain pens; however, while poking about the Montblanc web site, I discovered a by-line that indicates that Montblanc will exchange nibs on Limited Editions within 1 year of purchase.

I have a Writer's Edition Antoine Saint-Exupéry (dark blue barrel) that I purchased in September or October of 2017. The Montblanc product page (http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/writing-instruments/writers-edition/116109-writers-edition-antoine-saint-exupery-limited-edition-fou.html) lists this pen as a "Limited Edition".

Normally, I would expect that pen to be termed a "Special Edition", with the more expensive, ornate variety deemed a "Limited Edition"; however, it seems that MB designated all the WE Saint-Exupéry pens as "Limited Edition". If this is the case, perhaps they'll honor a nib exchange outside of the customary 6 week window?

I have contact the MB Concierge and inquired about this possibility, and am awaiting a return call from them after they follow-up with the Service Center.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone had this nib exchange take place, gratis, for a Limited Edition, or more specifically, the Saint-Exupéry and does it qualify?

2. The nib I'm considering is a OBB. Given that the pen would likely have to return to Germany for the exchange, is the wait time of 2-3 months worth it?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jconn

• hawpunch

• horationelson

• JungleJim

Yes it would be exchanged within a year provided the original nib being returned is still in mint condition.

Nib exchange may be completed in your countrys service centre and is often just a matter of weeks.

Definitely worth getting the right nib, otherwise you wont use the pen.

You have a year on limited editions such as Saint Exupery.

Limited editions include the Writers Editions, such as Expurery (both the "standard" limited edition pens that retail at circa £750 and the more pricey variants). They are limited in number.

Special editions include lines such as the Great Characters (Warhol, Beatles etc) and Donation pens, which are not limited in number).

You have a year on limited editions such as Saint Exupery.

Limited editions include the Writers Editions, such as Expurery (both the "standard" limited edition pens that retail at circa £750 and the more pricey variants). They are limited in number.

Special editions include lines such as the Great Characters (Warhol, Beatles etc) and Donation pens, which are not limited in number).

This is good to know, e.g. difference between Limited and Special Editions. I was really hoping I hadn't dragged my feet too long to get the nib changed!

Just received this reply from Montblanc Customer Concierge... hooray!

Dear Mr. Conn,

Thank you very much for your call yesterday and your interest in Montblanc.

I am happy to tell you that your writing instrument will qualify for a complimentary nib exchange for one year after your purchase was made.

Should you decide to have the service done, please include your stamped warranty book from your purchase along with the writing instrument so that we may confirm the purchase time frame.

I have the same pen in a fine nib that I purchased from The Fountain Pen Hospital. Unfortunately, upon checking the warranty book, I just found out that they did not stamp it. I am thinking of changing my nib to an OBB or OBBB as well. Hoping that Montblanc will honor it without the stamped book, or I might have to go back to The Fountain Pen Hospital and see if they can correct this error.

I have the same pen in a fine nib that I purchased from The Fountain Pen Hospital. Unfortunately, upon checking the warranty book, I just found out that they did not stamp it. I am thinking of changing my nib to an OBB or OBBB as well. Hoping that Montblanc will honor it without the stamped book, or I might have to go back to The Fountain Pen Hospital and see if they can correct this error.

I actually just checked my warranty book, and it's not stamped either. Guess a trip to the pen store is in order! Luckily, I'm a packrat, so I stashed the receipt of purchase away with all the other box/paperwork for the pen.

I actually just checked my warranty book, and it's not stamped either. Guess a trip to the pen store is in order! Luckily, I'm a packrat, so I stashed the receipt of purchase away with all the other box/paperwork for the pen.

I just found mine as well. I'm going to head to my local Montblanc store after work to see if I can get this all sorted out. Would love an OBB or OBBB nib on this pen.

I'm also in the same predicament. I spoke to a MB Ambassador on the phone and she said the guarantee book MUST be stamped for the free nib exchange. A receipt is not good enough. I placed a call to FPH and spoke to Jimmy. He said unless you specifically ask for them to open it up and stamp the book, they will send you the brand new pen still sealed in the plastic wrapping around the box. If you want your book stamped, just send it in to him and they will fill it out. No need for a copy of the receipt because they have it all on their computer. I want to change my Exupery from a fine nib to OBB. (BTW, the 146 sized pens such as the Exupery do not come in an O3B. The largest they go up to is O2B.)

Edited by JungleJim

I'm also in the same predicament. I spoke to a MB Ambassador on the phone and she said the guarantee book MUST be stamped for the free nib exchange. A receipt is not good enough. I placed a call to FPH and spoke to Jimmy. He said unless you specifically ask for them to open it up and stamp the book, they will send you the brand new pen still sealed in the plastic wrapping around the box. If you want your book stamped, just send it in to him and they will fill it out. No need for a copy of the receipt because they have it all on their computer. I want to change my Exupery from a fine nib to OBB. (BTW, the 146 sized pens such as the Exupery do not come in an O3B. The largest they go up to is O2B.)

Thanks for the heads up JungleJim! I emailed them because of the time difference between Hawaii and New York. Hoping to get a response from them soon and have this whole thing sorted. Thanks also for the headsup in the max nib sizes...I guess I will have to settle for the OBB but that would be really nice. I already own a lot of fine and medium size nib fountain pens and would love to have an OBB in the collection :).

2. The nib I'm considering is a OBB. Given that the pen would likely have to return to Germany for the exchange, is the wait time of 2-3 months worth it?

Yes, so worth it! The OBB is so much more expressive and fun than the standard F or M. Although don't be surprised if it takes longer than 3 months to come in - I had to wait about 2 months for my OBB for the UNICEF pen (which is just the standard 146 nib); I can only imagine that the special nibs on the WE pens take longer.

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)