Space Pen Insert Wiggling Around At The Tip In Parker Jotter

3nding

I use a fountain pen for pretty much all the hand writing I do. The only exception is when I go in the lab. In that situation I usually carry a Parker Jotter Flighter with a Fisher Space Pen refill inside.

One thing that as annoyed me ever since I started using that combo to remplace the Space Zebra (see https://penthusiast.wordpress.com/2014/07/25/the-space-zebra-f-7401/) I lost and was to lazy to make another copy of is that the tip of the Space Pen insert wiggles around when I write because the Space Pen refill has a slightly smaller diameter at the tip than the standard Quink refill. This has been a problem with multiple different Flighter Jotters.

This makes writing with this ballpoint much more annoying than it should be, so I was wondering if anybody had come up with a practical solution to that problem (I've thought of putting a bit of tape around the end to make it bigger, but it seems like it will create other inconveniences as byproducts).

Thank you all very much in advance,

3nding

Edited by 3nding

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• 3nding

• SallyLyn

• flatline

Yes, as I had a similar issue with a vintage Mitsubishi ballpoint pen.

This photo showcases a comparison of steel striped pencils + ballpoints (Pilot and Mitsubishi).

Pilot-_Mitsubishi_Steel-_Stripe_MP_BP_01

The Mitsubishi has a proprietary refill, specifically made for Mitsubishi (called the "Jumbo 8"). It looks almost identical to a PILOT refill model number BRFN-30. However, the PILOT refill has a slightly smaller tip diameter. While it works in the Mitsubishi (a wonderful cap actuated Parker style ballpoint pen), there is a little gap so that the tip has some side-to-side movement. It annoyed me, and further still to find that I'd have to pay handsomely for the Mitsubishi refill. However, I found a solution for using the PILOT refill in the pen.

Among the various kinds of tape available, there is a metal tape with adhesive backing. It almost looks like silver duct tape from a distance. I've found it to be an indispensable material for modifying pen refills. In the case of my Mitsubishi pen, I cut a small strip of the metal tape and then wrapped it around the tip of a BRFN-30EF. I had to try it twice before I found the right position on the refill. Sure enough, it worked. While the tip isn't completely rock-solid in place, it's 75% better than it was. Good enough that I don't even notice any movement when I use the pen. You may want to try that for your particular Space Pen refill.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Can you show a picture of the tape or more info on where to buy, size, etc. I’ve never seen such tape and am at a loss where to start.

Thank you

Thank you for the answer MYU. I have to admit, even though I am sold to fountain pens, those are some beautiful ballpoint pens. As for the tape, I have pretty much the same questions as SallyLyn, i.e. I don't know what search for when browsing sites like amazon or ebay to get the same type of tape as you used on your refills.

Have a good one,

3nding

81GLj%2BZKklL._SL1500_.jpg

Sorry, I should have called it by the proper name, which is a"Aluminum Foil Tape". You can find an example of it on Amazon [LINK]. Granted, that's a big roll... you might be able to find a smaller one cheaper somewhere else.

But you know, thinking about it, I have a HUGE roll of the stuff. Since someone here was so kind enough to mail me a free length of piano wire to clear the lead stuck inside one of my mechanical pencils, I'd be more than happy to "pay it forward." I could cut a strip of the aluminum tape and stick in an envelope to mail out. Just PM me with the address to mail it. :)

I don't have a photo handy of how I wrapped it around the refill shaft near the tip, but I've got a photo of how I applied it on a refill "neck" for a vintage PILOT pen:

PILOT_Hi-_Tecpoint_LHT-300_S_mod1.jpg

Edited by MYU

I have found that replacing the spring with a stronger spring will help to reduce tip wiggle.

I have also had good luck with simply putting some clear tape around the refill. Just make sure the edge of the tape doesn't interfere with your ability to click the pen.

--flatline

I have found that replacing the spring with a stronger spring will help to reduce tip wiggle.

I have also had good luck with simply putting some clear tape around the refill. Just make sure the edge of the tape doesn't interfere with your ability to click the pen.

--flatline

Good idea about the spring, especially if you can find one that's more narrow than the original. Btw, junky plastic click pens can sometimes be wonderful spring donors. I've found a few over the years that yielded remarkably good quality springs (while others were horridly cheap).

I had tried clear tape as a remedy for tip wobble but found it wore off after some time. The aluminum foil tape holds up extremely well, definitely seems like it'll hold fast for the life of the refill.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you ever get to try out the aluminum tape on that refill?

For my situation, I found that doing 2 thin strips instead of trying to get one thicker strip to conform to a multi-angle application worked best on the refill shoulders.

These are two refill mods I've been using in that vintage PILOT pen I posted about earlier. The LAMY M22 shape didn't require any applied metal tape, but the PILOT BRFN-30EF needed it. As you can see, I used the 2 strips and created the "step" for the shoulders.

Pilot_Hi-_Tecpoint_refill-mods.jpg

Edited by MYU

Did you ever get to try out the aluminum tape on that refill?

Unfortunately I ordered the tape from China (which is a bad idea for many reasons) because it was expensive when I checked at the local store. Like all things from China, it's taking ages to arrive so I haven't had the chance to use it yet but I'll keep you posted as soon as I do get it. :)

Unfortunately I ordered the tape from China (which is a bad idea for many reasons) because it was expensive when I checked at the local store. Like all things from China, it's taking ages to arrive so I haven't had the chance to use it yet but I'll keep you posted as soon as I do get it. :)

Sorry to hear it's taking so long. Yeah, it lends a lot of credence to the saying "slow boat from China." ;)

I would've been happy to mail you a strip of it... as it would have fit nicely in a standard business envelope for standard postage. Anyway, it's great stuff to have around. I've found that in doing repairs where duct tape doesn't quite work, the aluminum tape can do the trick.

Edited by MYU

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear it's taking so long. Yeah, it lends a lot of credence to the saying "slow boat from China." ;)

I would've been happy to mail you a strip of it... as it would have fit nicely in a standard business envelope for standard postage. Anyway, it's great stuff to have around. I've found that in doing repairs where duct tape doesn't quite work, the aluminum tape can do the trick.

LOL. Actually, that's a slow boat TO China....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 5 months later...

I guess the tape never arrived...

Another solution is to sacrifice a dried up Parker refill. Just cut the tubing from the tip end and slip it over the Fisher refill. May or may not require a spot of glue, depending on ID<->OD of the two.