Sheaffer Oversize Balance - Nibs

Aysedasi

Every now and then I have a yen for a particular purchase. Sometimes I can't see that through because I can't afford it, but I currently have an ever-increasing desire to buy myself a nice Oversize Balance. My dear Mum passed away a few months ago and thanks to her I can afford to indulge a whim or two and buy a couple of pens that I would have considered too pricey previously. I've always loved large pens and some of the OS Balances look absolutely gorgeous. I've seen a number of pens here and on the 'bay which I would probably have bought, but for one thing, they all seem to have fine nibs (or worse, EF)! Or nibs described as medium that to me (as a Brit) look pretty darned fine. I'm quite a 'sloppy' writer and enjoy writing with bigger nibs - most of my pens sport broad or oblique broad nibs. What are my chances of finding a broad or failing that at least a decent thickness medium? I don't want flex (at all) and I'm comforted by the fact that most of the nibs seem to be described as rigid, which suits me very well. Advice from the experts please! ;)

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• 3rdlakerobert

• kazoolaw

• user01

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your chances are slim. I can't remember ever seeing a broad or stub nib from the Balance era. Someone may be able to suggest a replacement nib, or nib/feed pair that will work in an OS Balance.

Those who tune nibs can make a fine nib write wet, and you might find such a nib very acceptable, given your preferences.

I feared as much Robert. It seems strange to me that such a large pen was generally equipped with such thin nibs..... ;)

Thin and firm. This was the age when bookkeepers and clerks used ledgers and carbon copies.

They are out there. Try asking a seller as opposed to random ads or the 'bay.

I have a broad/stub on an OS Flat top, which predates the Balance.

Happy Hunting!

I'll admit that mine also has what I'm pretty sure is an F nib (I've read that vintage pens tend to run a bit finer than their modern counterparts, even within the same brand). I don't know enough about the model to know what the range of nib widths were, so I can't say one way or the other.

Mine is the pen that used to belong to my husband's grandfather. I had to get a replacement cap, and then get it up and running, but it's a nice pen -- large but lightweight. Currently it's got Birmingham Schenley Park Thicket Green in it (I wanted it back in rotation for over Christmas to show my mother-in-law, and then was sick and wasn't really over at her house for more than a couple of hours the entire trip... :headsmack:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks Gary. I spent several hours yesterday checking out every vintage pen seller I could find on the net and didn't find anything above a medium, and those I saw expressed to be medium would have got a 'fine' rating from me. I'm conscious of avoiding diving in and buying the first one I see. I'm not really in any rush, but I'm a natural impulse buyer so my patience has limitations! If there's anyone out there with something I might be interested in, let me know!

That's a cracking name for an ink Ruth! :)

Edited by Aysedasi

Keep looking. I found my oversized Sheaffer Balance at an antique mall for $50. When I got the pen home, I found that one of the tines had been sheared off rendering the pen useless. With nothing to lose, I decided to grind the nib down myself with a sharpening stone followed by a series of less abrasive sheets and now the nib has a wonderful, smooth bold writing quality to it....it's one of my favorite pens.

post-126538-0-60240400-1516581392_thumb.jpg

Yes, a nib without tipping can feel soft and smooth, and they're easy to shape with a stone. Only trouble is of course that without tipping, the life is short.

Good Luck. Unfortunately, you are used to English nibs and they tend to run wider than those in the U.S. They also tend to be softer. Discovering vintage Newhaven nibs was really bad for my bank account.

The oversize Balance is the most comfortable pen I have ever used in spite of every one I have ever seen being equipped with a fine nail of a nib. They are delightful pens to use. Perhaps one of us will get lucky with the nibs.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I had and later sold a Black and Pearl OS Balance with a factory stub nib! So they are out there, just keep looking.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thanks Gary. I spent several hours yesterday checking out every vintage pen seller I could find on the net and didn't find anything above a medium, and those I saw expressed to be medium would have got a 'fine' rating from me.

What I meant was contact the person behind the website. http://www.ink-pen.com is known to specialize in Sheaffer pens. Drop them a line, let them know what you want, and if they don't have one they may know who does.

Try Ron Zorn at Mainstreet Pens. Or Pendemonium.

Ask and perhaps you will receive.

gary

I have a OS balance with a stub as well as 2 OS Balances with pretty wet generous sort of mediumesque nibs. The stub was a lucky find, the other two took some looking and some time to find. Some time looking and all had to be restored but worth it in my opinion as the OS Balance is as good as a pen can be.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

What I meant was contact the person behind the website. http://www.ink-pen.com is known to specialize in Sheaffer pens. Drop them a line, let them know what you want, and if they don't have one they may know who does.

gary

Thanks Gary, I think that has to be worth a try. I’m in no rush......

http://www.ink-pen.com is known to specialize in Sheaffer pens. Drop them a line, let them know what you want, and if they don't have one they may know who does.

+1

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Oversize Balance pens with factory stubs and factory flex nibs do exist, but they are rare and draw quite a high price as a result. But having a nib retipped and ground to a factory stub is an option and not horribly expensive. Flex is another matter though. There are some people who will modify a pen to flex, but I don't do it.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thanks Ron, safe to say Ive visited your site recently too..... (And have purchased from you in the past - a nice Cadmium Yellow Imperial as fair few years ago now). I have ZERO interest in flex but the retipping idea may have legs....

Edited by Aysedasi

The other issue for me here, I've now realised. is that most of these pens that come up for sale seem to be in the US still, and it is likely to cost me as much as 30-50% extra on top for the import duties for the UK. I've seen a pen I like the look of on Ebay at what would be a price I'd be prepared to pay, but with shipping and import duties likely to cost me as much as an extra $150 on top of the asking price, its more than a little off-putting.....

Edited by Aysedasi

Sounds like the sellers you are talking about use the eBay Global Shipping Program, which for some reason is very expensive. I recently signed off it and now I ship worldwide (with some countries excluded) using USPS Priority International. I believe it costs about $25 to ship to the UK including up to $200 insurance.