oneill

FPH does not publish a Magazine. The original poster corrected this at one point, but this seems to have been lost by some. They publish a Catalogue. It is a very nice catalogue. I have looked and I can find no definitions which show in English that magazine and catalogue are the same thing. They have different roots and mean different things. This blurring of the difference between advertising, which is what a printed catalogue is and a magazine which is supposed to be non commercial except for the parts which are identified as commercial advertisement is troubling. Some might say this is and always has been a distinction without a meaningful difference, but I disagree and beside the point in this case. FPH sells the products in their Catalogue and other than descriptions of the pens and related advertising copy and photographs, there is nothing in it. There are no articles about Fountain Pens, FPH or anything else. I would welcome them publishing a Magazine and if at a reasonable cost, pay for it, but alas, they don't.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oneill

• Freddy

• Bill P

• AMWfountain

FPH does not publish a Magazine. The original poster corrected this at one point, but this seems to have been lost by some. They publish a Catalogue. It is a very nice catalogue. I have looked and I can find no definitions which show in English that magazine and catalogue are the same thing. They have different roots and mean different things. This blurring of the difference between advertising, which is what a printed catalogue is and a magazine which is supposed to be non commercial except for the parts which are identified as commercial advertisement is troubling. Some might say this is and always has been a distinction without a meaningful difference, but I disagree and beside the point in this case. FPH sells the products in their Catalogue and other than descriptions of the pens and related advertising copy and photographs, there is nothing in it. There are no articles about Fountain Pens, FPH or anything else. I would welcome them publishing a Magazine and if at a reasonable cost, pay for it, but alas, they don't.

Yes you're right. They produce a very nice catalogue showing the items they sell. :) However, the OP prefers to call it a magazine. -_-

Oneill, May I make a polite suggestion? Drop that last sentence in your correspondence. It makes me not want to. It's what a con-man would say. It makes you seem boastfull. Larry

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

Are you referring to their annual catalog? Or an actual magazine with articles of interest?

All I am referring to is a book which is called The Annual which one can enrol for which has lots of

photos of pens and prices of them and is presumably sent to the person who has put their name on the Fountain

pen Hospital register to receive the Annual on a yearly basis. That's what I am talking about.

Are you referring to their annual catalog? Or an actual magazine with articles of interest?

According to a WORDS Dictionary I am referring to a Catalogue if you would like that choice,the

important thing is does it really matter? I am referring to something which is free and interesting,Oneill

I believe I followed your advice a year or so ago & received my first FPH catalogue. I enjoy seeing the pens pictured, even if most of them are out of my reach.

Recently a young Teller @ my bank complimented my handwriting; I had used a 1.5 stub with a nice shading brown ink on the deposit slip & I deferred her compliment from my ability to my pen. She said she had always wanted to try a fountain pen, but was afraid of the choices. I brought her back an Online calligraphy set, a bunch of cartridges, a few other necessities & my recently read FPH catalogue. She was beyond excited to see all the beautiful pens & was quite taken with it. SO, it would seem your link for the catalogue made TWO people happy!

It is a very nice production, far nicer than some other catalogues that I receive; I believe it is a very good way to visualise the pens that we hear mentioned & discussed.

I believe I followed your advice a year or so ago & received my first FPH catalogue. I enjoy seeing the pens pictured, even if most of them are out of my reach.

Recently a young Teller @ my bank complimented my handwriting; I had used a 1.5 stub with a nice shading brown ink on the deposit slip & I deferred her compliment from my ability to my pen. She said she had always wanted to try a fountain pen, but was afraid of the choices. I brought her back an Online calligraphy set, a bunch of cartridges, a few other necessities & my recently read FPH catalogue. She was beyond excited to see all the

beautiful pens & was quite taken with it. SO, it would seem your link for the catalogue made TWO people happy!

It is a very nice production, far nicer than some other catalogues that I receive; I believe it is a very good way to visualise the pens that we hear mentioned & discussed.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT,I thought that I was on the right track, call it what you will it matters

not so long as the receiver gets some pleasure out of IT, Trust Me, Oneill

• 4 weeks later...

I requested a catalogue last year and it never arrived. I've just put through a new request. Fingers crossed!

I have not received mine either.

I received one several years ago, and it was a generic catalog used by several Pen Retailers...it just had the FPH info on the cover..

My suspicion is that any Pen Retailer can sign up for the catalog and have it sent to their mailing list, with their name, address etc, on the cover page.

the catalog is not unique to FPH.

• 5 weeks later...

I have not received mine either.

I received one several years ago, and it was a generic catalog used by several Pen Retailers...it just had the FPH info on the cover..

My suspicion is that any Pen Retailer can sign up for the catalog and have it sent to their mailing list, with their name, address etc, on the cover page.

the catalog is not unique to FPH.

I cant understand why I always get mine so check the address again and resend after all it costs you NOTHING,Oneill