The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Identifying Found Esterbrook, Where To Find Parts?

esterbrook parts restoration

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Khranos

Khranos

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:47

I just recently found (as in actually found, more on this later) an Esterbrook pen in surprisingly nice condition. The only issue is that it was missing the cap, but the nib, section, and barrel were all there and in mostly working condition. I decided I wanted to restore it as it's my first lever filler, and have since removed the old sac and fully cleaned its remnants. All that's left is waiting for parts to arrive.

From what I can tell, the pen appears to be an Esterbrook dollar pen (*actually most likely a J series, as pajaro pointed out), but without the cap it's difficult to tell. It's also difficult to tell if it's red or copper in colour -- in person, it looks too dark to be copper, but also too dark to be red. The attached pictures make it look noticeably more red than it is in person.

I'm also curious where the best locations to buy parts are. I've of course tried ebay, but I haven't seen just a cap yet. On a few of the other sites I've googled, just trying to buy a cap runs you more than the whole pen without even factoring in shipping. I was wondering if there are a few recommended sites or people to buy parts from at a reasonable price?

Link to album with pictures: https://imgur.com/a/c6bCn

esterbrook.jpg

(The pen itself, see linked album for more pictures)

As for the "more info", I actually found it during a daily walk around the park. It was just lying in the grass without a cap in a location that's seldom traveled. The sac was completely useless, and definitely hasn't been recently restored. I spent a couple hours looking for the cap but wasn't able to find it, assuming it was even with the pen. The area I live in likely doesn't have many fountain pen users either, and it was obviously not there long -- the whole situation is definitely mysterious.

Edited by Khranos, 21 January 2018 - 18:47.

Sponsored Content

#2 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:02

It looks more like a J series pen than a Dollar pen.  Try ebay for parts.  Typically you might need a J-bar and a #16 sac.  Plus the cap, of course.  You might have to seek a parts pen for a cap. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#3 Khranos

Khranos

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:09

It looks more like a J series pen than a Dollar pen.  Try ebay for parts.  Typically you might need a J-bar and a #16 sac.  Plus the cap, of course.  You might have to seek a parts pen for a cap. 

Ah, you're probably completely right about it being a J. The lever is still throwing me off a bit, is there a reason whether an Esterbrook pen has a bell-shaped or circular lever even if it's the same model?

I currently have a #16 latex sac, shellac, and talc on the way from anderson pens, but the j-bar looked to be fine -- is this something I should replace even if it looks fine when replacing the sac?

Edited by Khranos, 21 January 2018 - 02:27.

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:46

Red SJ

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#5 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 17:58

Ah, you're probably completely right about it being a J. The lever is still throwing me off a bit, is there a reason whether an Esterbrook pen has a bell-shaped or circular lever even if it's the same model?

I currently have a #16 latex sac, shellac, and talc on the way from anderson pens, but the j-bar looked to be fine -- is this something I should replace even if it looks fine when replacing the sac?

If the J bar is not significantly rusted or almost rusted through at any point, there is no need to replace it if its otherwise functionally normally.

Circular ended levers were used in later made J series pens (late 50s-60s).

Edited by JakobS, 21 January 2018 - 18:05.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#6 Khranos

Khranos

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 18:44

Red SJ

I just measured the pen and you're right -- it's definitely an SJ, not a J. As a more general question, would a cap from a J or LJ also fit this pen? SJ parts seem to be quite a bit pricier than J parts (and on par with LJ parts), and I don't particularly mind making it a "frankenpen". After a quick search, it appears all J series caps are approximately the same size but I could be wrong.

As for the colour, red looks a bit more likely than copper. Would the barrel discolour (whether lighter or darker) from being in the sunlight and possible rain for a possibly lengthy amount of time?

If the J bar is not significantly rusted or almost rusted through at any point, there is no need to replace it if its otherwise functionally normally.

Circular ended levers were used in later made J series pens (late 50s-60s).

It has a little bit of rust, but it doesn't look bad at all. I think I'll brave it this time, but I'll keep it in mind if there are issues later. Good info on the levers too, I couldn't find anything about that online.

Thanks everybody for the info thus far, it's all been really helpful!

Edited by Khranos, 21 January 2018 - 18:49.

#7 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 21:11

LJ & SJ pen barrels are thinner than J models, so I doubt the cap would fit, but an LJ probably would.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#8 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:52

SJ and LJ have identical parts except the barrel and barrel eraser.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#9 Khranos

Khranos

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:25

Good to know I can broaden the search a little bit, thank you both for the confirmation!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, parts, restoration

Sponsored Content

|