FPN Quick Navigation
- Our New FPN 2015 LE Pen!
- - FPN Blue Pearl Celebration LE
- FPN Forums & Forum Categories
- - FPN News forum
- - The Mall forum
- - FPN World forums
- - The Marketplace Forums
- - Writing Instruments forums
- - Brand Focus forums
- - Regional Focus forums
- - Inks, Inc. forums
- - Paper, & Pen Acc. forums
- - Creative Expressions forums
- FPN Store, Donations, Accounts & Advertising
- - Store Home
- - FPN Ink Store
- - Advertise on FPN - Info
- - FPN Marketing & Advertising
- - Variable Amount Donations - Iridium, Rhodium & Platinum
- - Fixed Amount FPN Rhodium & Platinum Supporters, & FPN without Ads Donations
- - Premium (Trader/Retailer) Accounts
- - Straight PayPal Anonymous Donations
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Annual Subscription
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Monthly Subscription
- - The FPN Café Press Shop
- FPN Apps & Modules
- - Blogs
- - Classifieds
- - Gallery
- - Downloads
- - Home Page
- - Members
- - Pen Events Calendar
- - FPN's RSS Feeds
- - Shoutbox
- - Upload
- - Classifieds: Browsing
- - Classifieds: Creation
- - Classifieds: Questions & Answers
- - Upload: How-to
- Rules & Guidelines
- - FPN Rules, Guidelines, TOU
- - Classifieds Rules
- - Premium Accounts: Rules
- - Market Watch Rules
My First Mabie Todd Swan - C. 1912 Eyedropper
Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:19
Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:23
Welcome to Mabie Todd: the aristocrat of fountain pens.
That's a very nice example, with excellent colour and of course the gold bands mark it out a a model de luxe. After over 100 years of use imprints are likely to be very faint, but there should be a model number stamped on it somewhere. It could be a 1500 but my guess is a 200. Do let us know.
One clue to its age is the maker's name stamped in the pen. If it reads "Mabie, Todd & Co Ltd" then it is post 1915, the time when the English Company was incorporated. Otherwise, earlier pens were stamped "Mabie Todd & Co, and if pre-1908 "Mabie, Todd & Bard."
The nib would be from Mabie Todd & Co, New York. There were no English Mabie Todd nibs until around 1922.
Edited by Cob, 21 January 2018 - 08:27.
Posted 22 January 2018 - 15:41
Thanks for the additional photos.
The fact the the maker's name is Mabie, Todd & Co Ltd tells me that your pen is 1915 or a little later. The Articles of Association for Mabie, Todd & Co Ltd, were drawn up on 31st December 1914.
It really is a very nice example.