Parker 51 Aeromatic Repair Recommendation

hatedmind

Looking for a recommendation, I bought a parker 51 aeromatic awhile ago as my first vintage pen, I Love it!! Its a great daily writer with a nice medium line it puts down, however, recently I noticed it seems to be collecting ink on the little silver band, Ill wipe it off , keep writing, than notice there is the very thin line again around the band shortly later, its not from the cap as I have wiped the cap out and insured the cap was clean. *its a dove gray 1949 full size aero*. I am using Iroshizuku Take-sumi ink, never had a problem till recently. So rather than make an attempt to fix it myself I am looking for a recommendation on where to send it to get it fixed, or if there is a quick thing for me to try myself without risk of damaging the pen, that works too. If not can someone recommend a place to send my poor parker 51 to get fixed up?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn-SC

• hatedmind

• mitto

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems your pen is missing the 0 ring if in case it has the hood (and connector) with a recess for the 0 ring. In such a case you need to put an 0 ring and shallac the hood back on to secure it.

If in case your pen has the hood and connector that has no recess for the 0 ring, you just need to secure the hood using shallac.

Khan M. Ilyas

thanks that lets me know whats wrong with it :) Do you have any recommendations on who to have repair and service the pen?

You are asking someone who is unfamiliar with FP repair, and perhaps a bit apprehensive about the same, to "disassemble" their "first vintage pen."

Didn't tell them that the hood is held in place with hardened shellac, that needs the right amount of heat to remove, and not overheat the pen. Or that the hood can be cracked by too much force.

Now they have to buy the correct size O-ring and shellac to reseal the hood. And maybe a new hood once they've cracked to old one.

Perhaps a professional doing the restoration of their first vintage pen, that they love, is not a bad idea.

I suggest sending your pen to a person well versed in repairing the type of pen you have. In the United States, one of the places that I have heard good things about is at http://www.parker51.com. The Parker 51, as suggested by their name, is the focus of their business. I have no affiliation with them, just have heard good reviews of their work.

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

Thanks guys, I will be sending hte pen off, and I cant take the hood off, it does look like its stuck on there, and I wont be heating it, again if I had a few cheap pens to "attempt" to fix first i would but, being my first vintage, and a well loved pen, I think a professional repair is in order.

So far parker51.com

and is there a site for the other recommendation? and is there any other recommended sites, I am in Pennsylvania btw.

Joel has not only repaired numerous Parker "51"s for me, but he has also assisted me in buying vintage pens.

He found an "51" Empire set for me! As well as Torellis and Thompsons

His email is Inkpen5326@aol.com.

Send your pen to Danny Fudge at thewritepen.net

Fast, Affordable, Friendly, and Danny won't bugger up your pens by over-polishing, using Super Glue, or gouging sterling overlays.