The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hello From Minnesota

introduction

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 stonedlion

stonedlion

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:46

Hello - everyone! I've been lurking and stalking FPN for awhile, decided I really should register and participate at least a little bit.

My name is Richard, I am an IT guy (I could tell you what I actually do, but it's boring AF, even to me), a small business entrepreneur and of course a fountain pen user.

I recently started using a fountain pen again after a 20-year hiatus. Long story short, a nasty divorce upended my life, costing me a small but prized collection of pens in the upheaval. Pens got pushed waaaaay down the priority list. I don't know what prompted me to look at them again, but I was astonished to see that not only are new fountain pens widely available but very reasonably priced (in some cases) and old favorites have been finding their way back into use. And the inks! OMG! So many greats that I really want to try!

Sites like the FPN did not exist in 1997 or at least I didn't know about them. I always figured I was the lone wolf weirdo who actually liked fountain pens and bottled ink.

So here I am today, with freshly ink-stained fingers, making my introduction.

To date, my collection is modest but growing:

Lamy Safari

Pilot Metropolitan

Parker 21

Sheaffer Imperial (1965-70)

Currently In Transit

2 Jinhao X750's for experimentation, I picked up a couple of Goulet's #6 nibs to use with them. The nibs are here, but the pens will be another week yet.

I am absolutely in love with how nicely the Sheaffer writes, I picked up a converter for it and inked it with Diamine Green Black.

I journal just about every day. I am one of those people who has an idea and if he doesn't commit it to paper it will escape and frustrate me when I try to recall it. I also frequently create to-do lists for myself.

I look forward to reading your posts and for once, being able to reply and engage.

Sponsored Content

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:00

Welcome home.  Pull up a stump and set a spell.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#3 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:12

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. 

#4 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:44

Greetings and welcome to FPN from Islamabad, Pakistan. Hope you enjoy your time here with us - pen nerds. :)

Edited by mitto, 20 January 2018 - 06:45.

Khan

#5 RayMan

RayMan

Penathlete

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:27

Welcome Richard.
Regards,

Ray

#6 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:57

Hello Richard and welcome to FPN.  :W2FPN:

#7 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 10,347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:38

Deleted.

Edited by mitto, 20 January 2018 - 11:39.

Khan

#8 tbickiii

tbickiii

tbickiii

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,884 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2018 - 15:39

Hello and welcome from Baton Rouge, Louisiana...Enjoy your time here

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

#9 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2018 - 17:33

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#10 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2018 - 17:52

Welcome aboard, from Charleston, SC. Although you aren’t technically a newbie, you might look at the Reference Pages on a website called Richard's Pens: it has a wealth of info about the basics of fountain pens, their use and care, and may not have been available to you in 1997. A couple of other websites with useful information for newbies include PenChalet, Jetpens and the Goulet Pen Company. Goulet has made quite a few videos available on their website and on YouTube, which are helpful with some procedures related to FP use. There is a series of posts here, called A Newbies Guide to Inks, which is worth reviewing (you’ll find it as the first pinned topic under the Inky Thoughts Subforum). Enjoy, and good luck.
Mike

#11 KLscribbler

KLscribbler

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2018 - 19:44

Welcome and greetings from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia!

I have fond memories of Minnesota - some years ago, I was an international student at the University of Minnesota. Believe it or not, I actually miss the Minnesota winter very much. My favorite winter activity was to take the Blue Line to Fort Snelling, take a brisk walk down to Pike Island, and find a park bench or some comfortable spot on the Mississippi riverbank to settle in for a few good hours of reading and study. Enjoyed so many hours of perfect solitude that way.

(I'm one of those people towards whom those "whoever is praying for snow, please stop" signs are directed. Yep.)

Back to the subject of pens - I have to warn you, those Imperials are very dangerous gateway drugs. One day you might wake up to find a vast panoply of inlaid and triumph nibs on your desk, and wonder what happened. Good luck.  ;)

#12 stonedlion

stonedlion

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2018 - 23:26

Welcome aboard, from Charleston, SC. Although you aren’t technically a newbie, you might look at the Reference Pages on a website called Richard's Pens: it has a wealth of info about the basics of fountain pens, their use and care, and may not have been available to you in 1997. A couple of other websites with useful information for newbies include PenChalet, Jetpens and the Goulet Pen Company. Goulet has made quite a few videos available on their website and on YouTube, which are helpful with some procedures related to FP use. There is a series of posts here, called A Newbies Guide to Inks, which is worth reviewing (you’ll find it as the first pinned topic under the Inky Thoughts Subforum). Enjoy, and good luck.
Mike

Thank's Mike!

#13 stonedlion

stonedlion

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2018 - 23:31

Welcome and greetings from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia!

I have fond memories of Minnesota - some years ago, I was an international student at the University of Minnesota. Believe it or not, I actually miss the Minnesota winter very much. My favorite winter activity was to take the Blue Line to Fort Snelling, take a brisk walk down to Pike Island, and find a park bench or some comfortable spot on the Mississippi riverbank to settle in for a few good hours of reading and study. Enjoyed so many hours of perfect solitude that way.

(I'm one of those people towards whom those "whoever is praying for snow, please stop" signs are directed. Yep.)

Back to the subject of pens - I have to warn you, those Imperials are very dangerous gateway drugs. One day you might wake up to find a vast panoply of inlaid and triumph nibs on your desk, and wonder what happened. Good luck.  ;)

I know the area you are speaking of, It is a nice way to kill an afternoon.

The Imperial is indeed a gateway drug. Seriously, it is smooth as soft butter! The model I have isn't even all that great but has it where it counts. I know I will be keeping my eyes open for more, I choose to embrace the madness.

#14 DaveT

DaveT

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 00:03

Richard, hello and welcome from Indiana!

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

#15 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Forum Squirrel

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:11

Welcome from a neighbor in North Dakota.

Like you, my interest in fountain pens was long before this forum existed. Never fear: this forum is full of wonderful people and useful information in this niche interest.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#16 apatience

apatience

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:40

Welcome from Melbourne Australia

Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts - Winston Churchill

#17 Wahl

Wahl

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,751 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 19:49

:W2FPN:

#18 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 14,442 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2018 - 16:51

Welcome, Richard !  

Writing by hand engages a different area of the brain, than keyboards.  It also stimulates creativity.  

I am glad you have discovered that you are not the only crazy person on earth.  

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#19 Henricum_Tropen

Henricum_Tropen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:40

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: introduction

Sponsored Content

|