Haro Pen

siamackz

Hi All,

I wanted to share my collection of Haro pens. They have been discussed in prior forums too. To share excerpts from the following website: http://www.hjort.it/pennor/artiklar/haro_eng.html

HARO stands for HAns ROggenbuck who started producing pens in Germany in 1926. Those were relatively cheap pens and almost all that were produced had glass tips. The fountain pens had different filling systems.

Here is my collection. From left to right in the pictures below:

1. Haro I, celluloid, lever filler, glass nib. I would date this to the 1930s because of the celluloid

2. Haro II, hard rubber (HR), lever filler, glass nib. I would date this to the 1920s because of the HR.

3. Haro III, colourful celluloid, lever filler, glass nib. I would date this tot he 1930s because of the celluloid & cap crown is HR

4. Haro school pen, resin body. Piston filler, steel nib. I would date this to the 1950s because of the piston and resin body

5. Haro Concurrent, colourful celluloid, button filler, gold 'warranted' nib. I would date this to the 1930s because of the celluloid and button filler and the cap crown and blind cap are still HR

6. Haro Imperial, colourful celluloid, button filler, gold Haro nib. I would date this to the 1930s because of the celluloid and button filler and the cap crown and blind cap are still HR

If you have suggestions on how to date these more accurately, please let me know.

fpn_1516417146__img_1469.jpg

In the picture above, you will notice that the catalogue from the box shows three types of nibs - glass, steel, and gold. All three are represented in my collection.

fpn_1516417212__img_1470.jpg

Edited by siamackz

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siamackz

• OneRiotOneRanger

• dascott

• Inksomnia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for this really informative post. I've seen the Haro I and II occasionally at flea markets (though always for some reason priced up much higher than Auroras, Parkers and Watermans, I have no idea why). But I've never seen those lovely celluloids. You have a really nice little collection there!

From the rate at which Haros crop up here in France, the company seems to have done quite well at exporting.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I've seen the Haro I and II occasionally at flea markets (though always for some reason priced up much higher than Auroras, Parkers and Watermans, I have no idea why).

Thank you for the compliments. It's very interesting, what you mention about the prices. Because on eBay they are cheaper than the brands you mention

Great to see some Haro pens! I have two Haros, both have glass nib, Haro and Haro I. Haro is piston filler and Haro I is lever filler. Haro I is from 1936.

But I piston filler Haro with glass nib is hard to date. It's piston filler and it has rubber gasket, not cork, so I would date it somewhere 50's, but glass nib where typically older and also celluloid seems to be older too(Grey marbled). Not to mention there is hard rubber piston turning knob. Clip in this pen is same style as early Haros. I think Haro maybe used hard rubber longer than others?

I actually find my old photo of these two! Upper one is Haro I and grey one is Haro. Hard rubber is really badly discolored in these ones.

post-124463-0-65219000-1487673399.jpg

Great to see some Haro pens! I have two Haros, both have glass nib, Haro and Haro I. Haro is piston filler and Haro I is lever filler. Haro I is from 1936.

But I piston filler Haro with glass nib is hard to date. It's piston filler and it has rubber gasket, not cork, so I would date it somewhere 50's, but glass nib where typically older and also celluloid seems to be older too(Grey marbled). Not to mention there is hard rubber piston turning knob. Clip in this pen is same style as early Haros. I think Haro maybe used hard rubber longer than others?

I actually find my old photo of these two! Upper one is Haro I and grey one is Haro. Hard rubber is really badly discolored in these ones.

post-124463-0-65219000-1487673399.jpg

Lovely pens! How do you know the Haro I is from 1936? This will help me date my pen too

Have never run across these pens! Very nice!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Have never run across these pens! Very nice!

It started with just the Haro II for me, my first glass nib pen. I was curious. But the build quiality was good and I was impressed. So, I looked around and add more to my collection. Thebcelluloid coloured ones are in exceptionally good condition even though they are from the 30s. I am quite impressed with the quality of materials.

Lovely pens! How do you know the Haro I is from 1936? This will help me date my pen too

I'm not sure where I found the date. I have feeling, I found excat match on some vintage fountain pen seller site. Or some caralog or topic. It has been long time I got this pen and dated it, so I don't have source anymore.

I came across one glass nib pen... it was an amazing writer.. would love to see more of these ...

I would love to actually grab one of these ...

@siamackz wonderful post... would love to know more about the pens and your restoration for the same...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

A couple of things to point out, after a thank you for your post and picture.

The attraction of the glass nibs was that it could be used to write through carbons.

Haro began in what was then East Germany; after WWII they were expelled and moved to Regensburg in the Western sector.

Roggenbuck was a cousin of Frank Spors, also a (better-known?) maker of glass-nibbed pens.

Although the company is still active in the production of paper and stationery, they discontinued pen-making with the advent of the ballpoint.

Paul

A couple of things to point out, after a thank you for your post and picture.

The attraction of the glass nibs was that it could be used to write through carbons.

Haro began in what was then East Germany; after WWII they were expelled and moved to Regensburg in the Western sector.

Roggenbuck was a cousin of Frank Spors, also a (better-known?) maker of glass-nibbed pens.

Although the company is still active in the production of paper and stationery, they discontinued pen-making with the advent of the ballpoint.

Paul

Thanks for adding to this Paul!

I came across one glass nib pen... it was an amazing writer.. would love to see more of these ...

I would love to actually grab one of these ...

@siamackz wonderful post... would love to know more about the pens and your restoration for the same...

Hi Vaibhav, thanks! The steel and gold nib pens needed to be adjusted for flow and smoothness. They seemed like NOS never inked. But I have found that with pens close to 80-90 yrs old their tines are often misaligned in strange ways or their tipping needs to be evened out, etc. So, I tuned them.

The Haro I and Haro III glass nibs came in good condition so no work needed. The Haro II was heavily oxidized. See below how I restored its colour :)

fpn_1517235942__screen_shot_2018-01-29_a

Hi Vaibhav, thanks! The steel and gold nib pens needed to be adjusted for flow and smoothness. They seemed like NOS never inked. But I have found that with pens close to 80-90 yrs old their tines are often misaligned in strange ways or their tipping needs to be evened out, etc. So, I tuned them.

The Haro I and Haro III glass nibs came in good condition so no work needed. The Haro II was heavily oxidized. See below how I restored its colour

Great job on restoring its color and kudos to your patience.

I, too, have a a nice Haro Original in my collection - decent quality pens.

6Ga4egR.jpg

Great job on restoring its color and kudos to your patience.

I, too, have a a nice Haro Original in my collection - decent quality pens.

6Ga4egR.jpg

Thats a beautiful looking pen! But it says Heros, Not Haro. Or am I misreading?

• 1 month later...

Siamackz -

Great job! Photos and history have filled in the blanks on an innovative pen-maker which is too little known and too often ignored. With this kind of effort, we can cross another name off the "who were they and what did they do" list. Thank you for your effort and scholarship.

Paul

Siamackz -

Great job! Photos and history have filled in the blanks on an innovative pen-maker which is too little known and too often ignored. With this kind of effort, we can cross another name off the "who were they and what did they do" list. Thank you for your effort and scholarship.

Paul

Thanks for the encouragement Paul!

• 2 years later...

Hi Simackz, I recently picked up a Haro 120 with a fine/extra fine glass nib. What an amazing smooth writer. Any idea what the production date would be, and would it originally have had a glass nib? The only other 120 I have seen for sale had a gold nib.

Having enjoying testing inks with a couple of glass dip pens I couldn't resist the chance to grab this one. I guess it is as close as I will get to a Montblanc glass nib pen.

David

Hi Simackz, I recently picked up a Haro 120 with a fine/extra fine glass nib. What an amazing smooth writer. Any idea what the production date would be, and would it originally have had a glass nib? The only other 120 I have seen for sale had a gold nib.

Having enjoying testing inks with a couple of glass dip pens I couldn't resist the chance to grab this one. I guess it is as close as I will get to a Montblanc glass nib pen.

David

Nice! I loved these pens! I wouldnt know when your pen was made based on the model number but maybe if you tell us about (a) the material used for the body (B) filler system, then we can take guesses

Nice! I loved these pens! I wouldnt know when your pen was made based on the model number but maybe if you tell us about (a) the material used for the body ( B) filler system, then we can take guesses

It looks like similar material and size as the MB 342, and is also a piston filler with a plastic cork (again, I don't know whether this is original). Thank you.