La Pen Show 2018

Calabria

I've never been to the LA Pen Show, but am considering going this year. Has anybody had any experience with it? Is it large (like Washington) or a smaller show (like New York)?

Derek

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Calabria

• ErrantSmudge

• whichwatch

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an ongoing thread on the 2018 LA Pen Show in the Clubs, Meetings and Events section of the forum.

There's also a big thread, with pictures, on the 2016 LA Pen Show in the same section.

I went last year, and though I don't have much to compare it to, I had a great time and plan to go again this year.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Thanks Errant! I was wondering whether this was the appropriate place for asking the question!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Yes, I do see how the commercial aspect of a pen show makes it somewhat appropriate for this forum.

The 2016 thread I linked earlier is really complete and captures the flavor of the event.

I've never been to the LA Pen Show, but am considering going this year. Has anybody had any experience with it? Is it large (like Washington) or a smaller show (like New York)?

Derek

It is a huge show, similar in scale to DC, although I understand it may be a little smaller this year.

The only "public" day is Sunday, which I understand is almost impossibly crowded. I have attended for several years, and usually try to be there Friday and Saturday as I will this year. I like to be able to look at pens and chat with the dealers and friends, rather than fight my way to a table for my 20 seconds there while people push from behind to get closer, which is the story I hear about Sunday.

Edited by whichwatch

The only "public" day is Sunday, which I understand is almost impossibly crowded. [...] rather than fight my way to a table for my 20 seconds there while people push from behind to get closer, which is the story I hear about Sunday.

I attended on the Sunday public day last year. While it is crowded, you can certainly do/see everything you need to. Nobody pushed me from behind to get closer. I realize everyone has their own standards of acceptability, but I don't think it's the nightmare people portray it to be.

I'm planning on going Friday. I tend to get nervous at shows where I know it's the last day

- pressure and pens don't go together! I once got an awful Montegrappa instead of a very decent MB146 because my judgment was totally off.

I assume Mike will be there, and Rick Propas? Come to think of it, all my favorite pen guys are from the West Coast. I understand that LA is more commercial and less cozy than SF - but that's to be expected!

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Errant - thank you for the link to the LA 2016 show report! It looks pretty amazing, and it's fun to know what the hardcore guys are up to (Osteria Monza and chocolate/pen pairings)! In the end, it's about who goes there and not about the organizers. Just having a Japanese dealer there is great.

– Lin Yu-T'ang