Pelikan Hunting Le Drawing

RobertJRB

Hello fellow Pelikan Nuts!!

Three weeks ago my daughter was born and to celebrate this special moment my girlfriend and I had the idea to buy a nice pelikan 800 sized fountain pen which will be hers when she is ready to use it.

We were looking into today's offering from pelikan but are both not that thrilled with the offerings. The ocean swirl is nice but not that special.

Since I used to collect the old M800 LE's (gaudi, wall street ect) some time ago I remembered the Hunting LE. I never seen one in person but it seems like a great option with the animals on it. Her birth card is a painting by her aunt of a forest with al forest animals. Her room is full of forest stuffed animals and paintings. And the green color is very nice as well. So it would fit perfectly.

But, since I never seen one in person and it is called hunting. Are there any signs of hunting (rifle ect) on the pen? For what I can see its only a deer, dogs, fox and leafs but I would like to be sure.

Thanks!

Pelikan nut

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mew

• inkstainedruth

• RobertJRB

• Bo Bo Olson

First Congrats on your Daughter! I too have never seen this pen and hope someone that owns one will come in and post pictures! Again Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

That is one beautiful pen! I have drooled over this one myself a few times. Sad thing is, you may have some trouble getting your hands on one! I look for one every now and then, but they are pretty rare. Only 3,000 were made for world wide distribution. Todays search, prompted by your posting, only turned up 2 and both of them on eBay! And none to inexpensive either. They are too much for my blood, so I'm gonna have to be happy with my M910 Toledo.

Congratulations on the baby girl! I hope she grows up to appriciate fine writing instruments and the natural beauty of the forrest and it's creatures. In the forrest and on the pen!

Fair winds and following seas.

A gold bar the cost of the pen, could be put away in a bank safe, and when she's older....if she want's a fountain pen....could buy it cash....in gold will continue to climb.

What if she want's an Apple 25 instead?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Agree with the suggestion to make a fund, so your daughter can buy her own pen. She may not want something as large as an M800. Or she may not like the design, or the color (I have a friend who cannot stand purple, and -- thanks to the machinations of other friends -- that is her daughter's favorite color... mostly to make Alice crazy...).

I just looked at the link Matlock posted -- it is an attractive design for the overlay, but I'm personally not keen on the main body color of the pen myself.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Comgratulations on the birth of your daughter. The M915 Hunting is a beautiful pen. There are only animals and no other depictions such as firearms. The M915 was somewhat unique and early in design. The finish is somewhat less durable than other variants. Along the same lines, you may want to look at the Concerto which is a bit more durable. If it were me, Id look at an M900 or M910 which have durability and a classic beauty.

You might want to read this https://wp.me/p4XMw3-14W and this https://wp.me/p4XMw3-1lX.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Agree with the suggestion to make a fund, so your daughter can buy her own pen. She may not want something as large as an M800. Or she may not like the design, or the color (I have a friend who cannot stand purple, and -- thanks to the machinations of other friends -- that is her daughter's favorite color... mostly to make Alice crazy...).

I just looked at the link Matlock posted -- it is an attractive design for the overlay, but I'm personally not keen on the main body color of the pen myself.

M800 is a big pen? :o :/

It's a bit small for me. M1000 is perfect.

I came across a hunting pen a month or so ago and it was for about $1000.

A Pelikan 915 is something special.If you buy it for your daughter I am sure she will appreciate it when she will be an adult. It will be more meaningful than a gold bar even if she doesn't use it.

I would say, yes, buy her a Pelikan. Personally I wouldn't buy the 'hunting' as knowing its name and intended purchasers, even if there's no rifle on it, would put me off... one of the Toledos might be a nicer gift (and the pelicans are lovely comic birds which will surely appeal to her).

But most importantly, don't forget that in just a few years' time, she'll be ready for her first Pelikano!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I came across a hunting pen a month or so ago and it was for about $1000.

You clearly have larger hands than I do. I have small "girly" hands. Even an M600 (the pink one from a couple of years ago) was on the heavy side for me (oddly, the M600 White Transparent wasn't too bad, other than the price). OTOH, M200 and M400 size pens are a PERFECT size and weight, even when posted.

I tried someone's M800 several years ago, at an early pen club meeting, and it was way too large a pen for me. And that one didn't have the metal binde overlay.

Sometimes I get a little peeved that special edition pens -- especially attractive ones -- are not only too expensive for me, but they're also too large. There's a part of me that understands that it's going to be easier to do the design on a larger pen, rather than a smaller one, but still. After all, I'm not going to be buying a pen to just stick in a display case (although after this past summer I may have second thoughts about taking the M405 Stresemann with me when I go camping... :blush:).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I grew up in the standard and medium large pen era outside the thin Large Snorkel....that I'd never thought a large until by accident it was laying next to my Safari. :yikes:

Sheaffer's PFM, Pen For Men, was advertised when I was young in the B&W TV days....never saw one in real life, and I heard it sold poorly. It was a big fat pen, in an era where they still made good balance pens.

The 149 was always a huge pen....the 146 went from a great balanced better nibbed pen to a Large pen @ 1970. In the late 80's the 800 came in.

It was in the time when fountain pens were dying....both MB and Pelikan went bankrupt, that large blingy pens came in.....so they could be seen. "Signature" pens.

To me they lack balance, outside of the thin Snorkel, but as a child and in my parents day, balance was so very important. Pens with out great balance didn't sell.

But status items which were not used to write with many hours of a work day (needing a light nimble well balanced pen) , don't have to have balance if it's blingy enough; for Signatures or to be seen across a conference table.

I have thin fingers but a 9 1/2 inch spread.....and find a 800 clunky, with no balance and a 1000 too big to use....same the lighter 149.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

It is a big pen, even for current standards.

The fact that the model 400 was the largest Pelikan pen for quite a long time should make you think.

The fact that, even now, the souverän catalogue holds two sizes below and only one above should hint you.

The fact that along the fountain pen history you will find vastly more pens smaller than the M800 than bigger should be another cue.

You clearly have larger hands than I do. I have small "girly" hands. Even an M600 (the pink one from a couple of years ago) was on the heavy side for me (oddly, the M600 White Transparent wasn't too bad, other than the price). OTOH, M200 and M400 size pens are a PERFECT size and weight, even when posted.

I tried someone's M800 several years ago, at an early pen club meeting, and it was way too large a pen for me. And that one didn't have the metal binde overlay.

Sometimes I get a little peeved that special edition pens -- especially attractive ones -- are not only too expensive for me, but they're also too large. There's a part of me that understands that it's going to be easier to do the design on a larger pen, rather than a smaller one, but still. After all, I'm not going to be buying a pen to just stick in a display case (although after this past summer I may have second thoughts about taking the M405 Stresemann with me when I go camping... :blush:).

Well~ I do find my Emperor very comfortable to use.

It was probably the 3rd or 4th pen that I bought, and has been my most used pen with 3 bottles worth of ink being used in it.

Here is a picture of M800 Brown Tortoise with Emperor.

http://i.imgur.com/m27HdKY.jpg

Do you post your pens?

It is a big pen, even for current standards.

The fact that the model 400 was the largest Pelikan pen for quite a long time should make you think.

The fact that, even now, the souverän catalogue holds two sizes below and only one above should hint you.

The fact that along the fountain pen history you will find vastly more pens smaller than the M800 than bigger should be another cue.

Check out the picture I posted.

I don't have my M1005 handy but will post a comparison pic later.

Well~ I do find my Emperor very comfortable to use.

It was probably the 3rd or 4th pen that I bought, and has been my most used pen with 3 bottles worth of ink being used in it.

Here is a picture of M800 Brown Tortoise with Emperor.

http://i.imgur.com/m27HdKY.jpg

Do you post your pens?

:yikes:

That Emperor is GINORMOUS.... If that's your EDC, it's no wonder that you think M400s are small pens....

And yes, the only pens I *don't* post are a few that I can't for one reason or another: a couple have tapered barrels and the caps don't sit right, and one of my Noodler's Konrads has some sort of obstruction in the cap (the other Konrads are fine, even the ebonite one). Even my heaviest pen, the TWSBI 580-AL, gets posted. And pretty much all the vintage ones, too (the c-worders in the back row are clutching their pearls and swooning in horror.... :lol:).

I do carry it around, but only in the pen wrap. I love writing with it, over and above my any other pen. I have 5 pelikans, 3x M80x and 2x M100x. But all of them combined haven't received the amount of use my Emperor has seen. It's nib size is bigger than the M100x nib size. :)

About posting, that explains it. If I would post, I think M4xx would be have been okay. Maybe the grip would be too thin, but length would have been acceptable.

Check out the picture I posted.

I don't have my M1005 handy but will post a comparison pic later.

The fact that you prefer even bigger pens doesn't make the M800 a little one just like the tallest man in the world being 2.72m doesn't make a 2m man a short one.

Thank you all for the reply's!

Would have liked to answer more early but time isn't on my side these day's :)

Good to hear the hunting doesn't show any rifle's on the barrel. The suggestion of a toledo is nice as well. I personally really like the red and yellow toledo's and they also come in the 400 size. We will go to the store here in Amsterdam (akkerman) when we are able to take her out to see the current pens in person. Lets see.

About the gold bar suggestion. I think a personally picked gift is a much nicer thing for her to receive. Of course there is a fund for her to use for college but I see this as a nice extra for her.

Pelikan nut