Parker Duofold Centennial Vs Sailor Realo (Or 1911L)

Pichak

I love it. :lol:

:D

...as it probably wasn't a dud...

Oh, it was a dud. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I know a garbage nib when I get one... and I used the same writing angle that I use with my hundreds of other pens... and they don't give me the grief that that 21k 1911 nib did. (ETA: That said, I'm also familiar with the occasional need to angle a pen certain ways in order to find it's "sweet spot,"... I had to learn that to enjoy my beloved, L2K :)).

In retrospect, I'd bet the tines were out of alignment, but I didn't have a loupe yet... back then I still had the crazy notion that a brand new pen should write well, straight out of the box... :huh: ...daft bastardo that I am. :D

- Anthony

EDITED to clarify position.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• Pichak

• Bluey

• ItsMeDave

I have some 1990ish Centennials with 18k arrow nibs. They all write wetter than the Sailor 21k nibs I have on a couple of ProGears. This can be adjusted by a nibmeister, of course.

I do like the marbled blue and green resins of these earlier Parkers.

The feedback just wasn't that interesting to me. Somewhat uneventful in all of them.

Anthony, do you write so that the pen makes a steep angle to the page? I've heard of others who have found Sailors toothy but they all write a steep angle. I've also noticed that with all Sailors there's a zoom-like quality even on non-zoom nibs so that the angle that you write at dictates how broad they are, in addition to how smooth they are. At a steep angle they write finer but slightly toothy. At a shallow angle they are broader but very smooth.

I write at a shallow angle so they suit me.

If you have a look at a Sailor nib under the loupe they are somewhat more complex than most others brands which are often just a blob.

I can confirm, Sailors have a sweet spot angle, above that, they are toothy. Both of my 1911L as well the Pro gear behaving like that compare to my Duofold, Sonnet or any other brand I have.

I used to try the Lamy 2000 for many time I love its design, wight, price but its section is not comfort for me. I feel it is too slippery.

Hi Tanipat,

Well, in that case, I would whole-heartedly recommend the Duofold Centennial... it has that hourglass section that gives your fingertips a grip and it's a comfortable pen to hold, (for me at any rate). I know the L2K weighs in at 25 grams and I would say the Duofold Centennial is only a couple grams more... and the Duofold has killer looks.

Furthermore, you don't have to hold the Duofold at any particular angle to get a wet, smooth line out it, (like you evidently have to do with a Sailor).

The Duofold will be a smooth, wet writer at whatever angle you prefer to hold it at. :thumbup:

Be well... and enjoy your new Duofold. :) (If you go that route). :unsure:

- Anthony

EDITED to add text.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I used to try the Lamy 2000 for many time I love its design, wight, price but its section is not comfort for me. I feel it is too slippery.

I think the exact same.

The exact same.

(Man that's eerie.)

Now would you wanna Brand new Duofold or an older version of the current model?

From my limited knowledge: newer Duofolds are made in France and look slightly different than the older models that were made in the UK.

The older ones come in solid and marbled colors, while the newer ones come in solid colors.

...The older ones come in solid and marbled colors, while the newer ones come in solid colors.

Hi Tanipat,

This is sad, but true. The model designations have also changed... the smaller International is now called the Classic and the senior Centennial model is now called the Prestige... and their prices have shot up from what they were when I bought mine. (I believe Chrissy alluded to that earlier when she compared them to Mont Blanc).

The Classic comes only in solid colors and the Prestige only in a colored chevron pattern. See here:

http://www.parkerpen.com/en-US/pens-inks/en-US/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=duofold+AND+fountain&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&pageSize=24&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch

If you're cool with that, you're golden; but if you want the "classic" Centennial in a marblized pattern... shoot me a PM and I'll let you know who still has 'em. ;)

- Anthony

EDITED for typo.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I would want a brand new Duofold Centennial with the price of an old/used one. :)

There were two for sale brand new, uninked boxed (along with the outer) with a local bank officer who received both as gifts from his relatives in Dubai.

I bought one for $190. The other is still there for sale. I may buy that one too. But the disadvantage is that both are the same color - ivory/white.

Khan M. Ilyas

I would want a brand new Duofold Centennial with the price of an old/used one. :)

There were two for sale brand new, uninked boxed (along with the outer) with a local bank officer who received both as gifts from his relatives in Dubai.

I bought one for $190. The other is still there for sale. I may buy that one too. But the disadvantage is that both are the same color - ivory/white.

Hi Tanipat,

In case you're not sure; I think this is a subtle hint you should shoot Mitto a friendly PM. ;)

- Anthony

Hi Tanipat,

Well, in that case, I would whole-heartedly recommend the Duofold Centennial... it has that hourglass section that gives your fingertips a grip and it's a comfortable pen to hold, (for me at any rate). I know the L2K weighs in at 25 grams and I would say the Duofold Centennial is only a couple grams more... and the Duofold has killer looks.

Furthermore, you don't have to hold the Duofold at any particular angle to get a wet, smooth line out it, (like you evidently have to do with a Sailor).

The Duofold will be a smooth, wet writer at whatever angle you prefer to hold it at. :thumbup:

Be well... and enjoy your new Duofold. :) (If you go that route). :unsure:

- Anthony

EDITED to add text.

Duofold is only the answer for me.

Hi Tanipat,

This is sad, but true. The model designations have also changed... the smaller International is now called the Classic and the senior Centennial model is now called the Prestige... and their prices have shot up from what they were when I bought mine. (I believe Chrissy alluded to that earlier when she compared them to Mont Blanc).

The Classic comes only in solid colors and the Prestige only in a colored chevron pattern. See here:

http://www.parkerpen.com/en-US/pens-inks/en-US/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=duofold+AND+fountain&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&pageSize=24&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch

If you're cool with that, you're golden; but if you want the "classic" Centennial in a marblized pattern... shoot me a PM and I'll let you know who still has 'em. ;)

- Anthony

EDITED for typo.

Noooooo, I only want the DUOFOLD with marble pattern or BIG RED only.

Does the new model made of metal?

As I am a high school student I need to add more time to correct money. Seem I need to hurry to catch the old model.

Edited by Tanipat

I think the exact same.

The exact same.

(Man that's eerie.)

Now would you wanna Brand new Duofold or an older version of the current model?

From my limited knowledge: newer Duofolds are made in France and look slightly different than the older models that were made in the UK.

The older ones come in solid and marbled colors, while the newer ones come in solid colors.

I think old model looks much better and more classic. And I like the resin or acrylic pen more than metal.

As I am a high school student I need to add more time to correct money. Seem I need to hurry to catch the old model.

Hmm...

I am a high school student as well.

(Don't have the budget for a Duofold, but I will dream on till the time comes...)

I think it should make for a good EDC pen.

The NEW Duofolds have more metal trimming on the cap than the older ones. (Which is something to keep in mind because the cap lip in most older pens is the place where cracks start. Not trying to scare you... But keep this in mind.)

The metal ones are WAY TOO expensive.

You want a pen that doesn't weigh a 1,000,000 Lbs.

Just stick with the plastic body/section ones.

Hi Tanipat,

Don't sweat it and just relax... rumor has it that Parker made more than just a couple Duofold Centennial's. :D

They will always be around on the secondary market... and nice specimens will always show up to those who prudently exercise patience. ;)

A lot of these pens were given as given as gifts or presentation pieces and many un-used or near-new examples exist out there.

Relax,... save your money... pick up a few odd jobs here and there... and you'll be rocking a nice, marble Centennial before you know it. :thumbup:

- Anthony

The Duofold Classic is made in the larger centennial size, and the "Big Vintage Red" version comes with the vintage style imprint. They come in fine and medium, but if you want a harder to find nib size you can get one through Parker's nib exchange program.

"Oh deer."

Hmm...

I am a high school student as well.

(Don't have the budget for a Duofold, but I will dream on till the time comes...)

I think it should make for a good EDC pen.

The NEW Duofolds have more metal trimming on the cap than the older ones. (Which is something to keep in mind because the cap lip in most older pens is the place where cracks start. Not trying to scare you... But keep this in mind.)

The metal ones are WAY TOO expensive.

You want a pen that doesn't weigh a 1,000,000 Lbs.

Just stick with the plastic body/section ones.

Hi AL01,

Nice to know you. The Duofold Centennial is too big to be an EDC pen for me. My EDC pen nowaday is Parker M200 and Sailor 1911S.

----------------------

Antony and Benbot517

Thank you very much.

Huh?

Hmm...

If you ever need help in choosing your next pen...

PM me.

I have owned 16 pens, (through my 8 years of this wonderful hobby), and I use 4 of them.

The rest are not with me anymore.

Judging by your post on the 2000, you seem to be about as picky as I am when it comes to pens.

Parker Vacumatics, Pelikan 140s, Pilot Elites, Esterbrook Js, etc. make for great EDC pens.

Thanks!

AL01.

P.S. - What do you think of Sailor nibs? I have never used one...

Edited by AL01