Parker Duofold Centennial Vs Sailor Realo (Or 1911L)

Pichak

Well, I have several Parkers... ranging from the early '20s "Big Red" Duofold's, up to the current day... and covering the range from economy to luxury.

Wow, the BIG RED is one of my grail pen, that reason why I always try to get the Duofold Centennial.

I think, finally I must get them both but only which one come first. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Edited by Tanipat

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• Pichak

• Bluey

• ItsMeDave

Hi Tanipat,

Well, here's one of my Big Red's... unfortunately, I can't show you my modern Duofold because I dropped it... :wallbash: ...and it's off being mended. :(

As far as which one to choose first is a tough call, but with vintage pens, it can be more of a gamble. The Big Red I'll show you here is one of the earliest models... it has the Christmas Tree feed and there is NO tipping on the nib. Early fountain pens were basically just carry-overs from the old steel dip pens... which didn't have tipping, either.

IIRC, it wasn't until the mid to late '20s that they started using irridium. .. and other hard metals... to put a round tip on the nib for added durability and a much pleasanter writing experience.

Hence, my modern Duofold writes much nicer than my oldest one. That said, the "newer" vintage Duofolds are nice writers. You may find this interesting:

https://parkerpens.net/duofold.html

- Anthony

Just to follow-up... as you can see from the nib photo, this particular specimen I grabbed actually has/had tipping, but it's badly worn.

- A.C.

EDITED to clarify text.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

The Parker Duofold Centennials I have recently seen for sale certainly seem to be pricey. The Sailor Realo also compares directly against Montblanc 146, in that they are both piston fillers. In fact Centennials currently seem to be fetching similar prices to Montblanc 146 pens. :)

Antony, thanks for provide me knowledge.

You're welcome, Tanipat. :)

Now that I've had a full night's sleep... if you're new to fountain pens... I'd recommend holding off on the vintage specimens until a later date.

For now, get a modern one... either new... or if you want to save a few bucks, get a clean, second-hand model from a reputable source... others here can help you with that... I usually don't buy used modern pens.

The upcoming exception to that is when I crack and finally go for a MB... my practical side cannot fathom paying $1,000 for one pen... so I'll probably get that one used. :)

The Parker Duofold Centennial.

See how Mitto sums it up perfectly... short and sweet. :)

- Anthony

As a writing instrument, the Sailor is almost certainly likely to be the better writer as they're widely considered to be second to none. Parkers are has-beens.

Edited by Bluey

Wow, the BIG RED is one of my grail pen, that reason why I always try to get the Duofold Centennial.

I think, finally I must get them both but only which one come first. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

So ya wanna BIG RED JR or a BIG RED SR??

Or ya wanna Vacumatic???

(I've used both and they are EXCELLENT pens that can even have semi - flex nibs.)

I'll be honest...

Vintage pens knock my socks off!

(And I have used a lot of modern pens... )

EDIT: Do you have a pen show/ pen shop near you? They can be a very useful resource.

Edited by AL01

...Parkers are has-beens.

Better to be a "has-been" than a "never-was,"...

...at least that's what I keep telling myself. :rolleyes:

- Anthony :D

EDITED to correct typo.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

EDITED to correct typo.

Well, I suppose they have that to their credit. Sailors are the man.

Well, I suppose they have that to their credit. Sailors are the man.

Hi Bluey, et al,

I admire your loyalty to Sailor, Bluey. :)

It brings to mind my loyalty to the L2K... hhhmmmm... :unsure: ...

...say, Tanipat, have you ever considered the Lamy 2000 instead of a Sailor or Duofold? :D

- Anthony ;)

Hi Bluey, et al,

I admire your loyalty to Sailor, Bluey. :)

It brings to mind my loyalty to the L2K... hhhmmmm... :unsure: ...

...say, Tanipat, have you ever considered the Lamy 2000 instead of a Sailor or Duofold? :D

- Anthony ;)

I dunno, I wouldn't really call it loyalty so much as it being an acknowledgement of what is the best. I don't believe in brand loyalty because that would limit my searching for the best writers.

Edited by Bluey

I dunno, I wouldn't really call it loyalty so much as it being an acknowledgement of what is the best. I don't believe in brand loyalty because that would limit my searching for the best writers.

Oh, well, in that case,... if you want to acknowledge what is best, you ought to recommend the Duofold. :D

- Anthony ;)

P.S.: In fairness to Sailor, I probably should give them a second chance... every company is entitled to an occasional dud.

EDITED to correct typo.

I love it. :lol:

Oh, well, in that case,... if you want to acknowledge what is best, you ought to recommend the Duofold. :D

- Anthony ;)

P.S.: In fairness to Sailor, I probably should give them a second chance... every company is entitled to an occasional dud.

LOL

Yes you should give them a 2nd chance as it probably wasn't a dud.

And remember, relaxed writing angle.