Parker Duofold Centennial Vs Sailor Realo (Or 1911L)

Pichak

I've recently decided for a new fountain pen between Parker Duofold Centennial and Sailor 1911 Realo.

I have a Sailor 1911 Standard with 14K nib which I love it a lot but I have never tried the Sailor 21K nib yet and also I have never got any Parker gold nib.

Any suggestions please?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• Pichak

• Bluey

• ItsMeDave

I have quite a few Centennials as well as a few 1911L's. Unfortunately I am away from home for a few days and cannot take pictures or supply writing samples for you until I get back home.

Centennial is a good bit larger than 1911L and this may make a difference to you.

I fins the nibs to be similar in "smoothness" of writing, although I find the Parker nibs to be nails - very hard, whereas the Sailor nibs are quite a bit softer.

I prefer the Sailor. The Parkers that I've tried have not impressed.

I don't find any difference between 14k and 21k. Differences in smoothness or feedback are probably due to variability rather than being specifically due to their gold content or size.

whereas the Sailor nibs are quite a bit softer.

I've yet to own any Sailor that is not a nail, unless you're referring to the KoP

I've got a Parker Duofold Centennial (Black/gold) with a fine italic nib that I just love, smooth and wet with the slightest amount of line variation, just enough to add a little pizazz.

I also own three Sailor 1911L's with medium-fine nibs, a Sailor Pro Gear Classic with a custom ground broad cursive italic and a Sailor Pro Gear Realo with a medium nib.

All of the Sailor nibs are great writers, the nibs smooth, but stiff.

I did own a 1911S with a 14kt nib, I didn't keep it long because it was too small. I don't recall that it wrote much differently that the 21kt nibs on the 'L' models.

Comparing the two pens in question:

Parker: great nib, conventional looks, cartridge converter (thus, easy to clean)

Realo: great nib, conventional looks (1911 with rounded ends, Pro Gear with flat ends), piston-filler, ink-window

I think the Parker is available in more colours, the Realo only available in black/gold, black/rhodium & burgundy/gold.

The piston action is very smooth on the Realo, but I believe all the moving parts are plastic.

Proper cleaning can be an issue with piston-fillers, some are not easy to disassemble, the Realo doesn't fall into that camp, the nib unit easily unscrews without the use of tools.

My vote goes to the Realo, but I may be biased. :-)

Edited by ItsMeDave

I have quite a few Centennials as well as a few 1911L's. Unfortunately I am away from home for a few days and cannot take pictures or supply writing samples for you until I get back home.

Centennial is a good bit larger than 1911L and this may make a difference to you.

I fins the nibs to be similar in "smoothness" of writing, although I find the Parker nibs to be nails - very hard, whereas the Sailor nibs are quite a bit softer.

Thank you. I will wait until you go back home for more information.

I prefer the Sailor. The Parkers that I've tried have not impressed.

I don't find any difference between 14k and 21k. Differences in smoothness or feedback are probably due to variability rather than being specifically due to their gold content or size.

I've yet to own any Sailor that is not a nail, unless you're referring to the KoP

Would you please tell me why you do not impress the Parker.

For the nib, in fact I like the nail but smooth nib.

Hi Tanipat, et al,

My ID might disqualify me as bias, but I had a 1911 with the 21k nib... and sold it. Maybe I got a bad nib, but for me, it was way too toothy.

My modern Duofold has a really nice nib... then again... maybe I got lucky... at any rate...

... I'd recommend my namesake... not only for its wet, smooth nib, but also for comfort in the hand and especially for looks. :)

But look for a deal... the Duofolds seem to be a bit overpriced, (@ MSRP), IMO.

Be well. :)

- Anthony

Would you please tell me why you do not impress the Parker.

For the nib, in fact I like the nail but smooth nib.

The feedback just wasn't that interesting to me. Somewhat uneventful in all of them.

My ID might disqualify me as bias, but I had a 1911 with the 21k nib... and sold it. Maybe I got a bad nib, but for me, it was way too toothy.

Anthony, do you write so that the pen makes a steep angle to the page? I've heard of others who have found Sailors toothy but they all write a steep angle. I've also noticed that with all Sailors there's a zoom-like quality even on non-zoom nibs so that the angle that you write at dictates how broad they are, in addition to how smooth they are. At a steep angle they write finer but slightly toothy. At a shallow angle they are broader but very smooth.

I write at a shallow angle so they suit me.

If you have a look at a Sailor nib under the loupe they are somewhat more complex than most others brands which are often just a blob.

Edited by Bluey

I have the Parker Centennial Duofold in the Black and Pearl with an IB nib and love it. They are indeed pricey. Another option if it is too large of a pen is the same pen in the International size.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

...Anthony, do you write so that the pen makes a steep angle to the page?...I've heard of others who have found Sailors toothy but they all write a steep angle...

Hi Bluey,

Uhh, I don't think so... I haven't a protractor on me,... :D ...but I'd say I hold my pens at about a 45-50 degree angle.

I think I just one of the fortunate few who got a bum nib. :D

- Anthony

Hi Bluey,

Uhh, I don't think so... I haven't a protractor on me,... :D ...but I'd say I hold my pens at about a 45-50 degree angle.

I think I just one of the fortunate few who got a bum nib. :D

- Anthony

I would think that's rather steep. I hold my pen around 40 deg from the horizontal, maybe a little less.

I would think that's rather steep. I hold my pen around 40 deg from the horizontal, maybe a little less.

Well, in that case, you may be right, Bluey...

http://youtu.be/Jo9t5XK0FhA

...the next time we have a meeting; I'm going to look around the table and compare other people's pen holding angles to mine... odd... but I've never really thought to look before.

I keep trying to use the grip BoBo taught me... but I suffer from lapses.

- Anthony

EDITED to add video and clarify text. :)

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Hi Tanipat, et al,

My modern Duofold has a really nice nib... then again... maybe I got lucky... at any rate...

... I'd recommend my namesake... not only for its wet, smooth nib, but also for comfort in the hand and especially for looks. :)

But look for a deal... the Duofolds seem to be a bit overpriced, (@ MSRP), IMO.

Be well. :)

- Anthony

Hi Anthony,

In fact just only your ID Name, you don't have to say anything. :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

For the Parker gold nib, I have a vintage Parker Thrift Time and I love it but I have never had any modern Parker gold nib. However I still believe in Parker's nib. I found the Japanese's always has some feedback.

I have the Parker Centennial Duofold in the Black and Pearl with an IB nib and love it. They are indeed pricey. Another option if it is too large of a pen is the same pen in the International size.

As I look at the compare photo from the internet between Parker Duofold Centennial and Pelikan M800 seem it has the same size, is't it? I have a M805 and I feel comfort to write with.

Wow, they are both beautiful. Thanks.

For writing, which one you like more?

It's not a fair comparison because the Parker has got a fine italic nib, which is cool because of the extra bit of pizazz it adds to my writing, while the Sailor nibs are all run-of-the-mill round nibs.

All of the Sailor nibs are smooth, but one of them is the smoothest nib of all the 20-something pens that I own.

I guess I'd have to go with the Sailor.

It's not a fair comparison because the Parker has got a fine italic nib, which is cool because of the extra bit of pizazz it adds to my writing, while the Sailor nibs are all run-of-the-mill round nibs.

All of the Sailor nibs are smooth, but one of them is the smoothest nib of all the 20-something pens that I own.

I guess I'd have to go with the Sailor.

Just to clarify, the Duofold fine italic is a factory nib, and four of the five Sailors are stock factory nibs.

One of my Sailors has a custom ground broad cursive italic, which is a fabulous nib, but I left it out of the comparison.

Hi Anthony,

In fact just only your ID Name, you don't have to say anything. :lticaptd: :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

For the Parker gold nib, I have a vintage Parker Thrift Time and I love it but I have never had any modern Parker gold nib. However I still believe in Parker's nib. I found the Japanese's always has some feedback.

:lol:

Hi again, Tanipat,

Well, I have several Parkers... ranging from the early '20s "Big Red" Duofold's, up to the current day... and covering the range from economy to luxury.

That said, I cannot claim to be an expert... I've only been playing this game since late 2015. But, in my limited experience, I have found that the older Parker nibs are in a class by themselves.

For modern Parker's, you're on much safer ground when you stick with the upper-echelon models like the Sonnets and Duofolds. The lower-echelon models such as the IM's and Urbans, etc., can be more problematic... usually in the form of "skippy" nibs.

But you rarely come across any complaints about the Duofold line.

Well, this has just been my two cents... the final decision is all up to you... and I'd be fine if you go with the Sailor... in fact, the responsibility that comes with counseling others frightens me,... :ninja: ...but whatever you decide to get... I hope the pen you ultimately choose will really ring your chimes. :)

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony