The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Who Makes Better/best International Converters?

converter

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 tvradio

tvradio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2018 - 21:06

Did you get an especially good price to get a dozen, or did you just need a dozen? The next pen show I hope to go to will be the one on Long Island in April, and I can probably wait if I can get a good deal....

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

Sponsored Content

#22 tadas

tadas

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:52

Yes, the Schmidt K5 is sort of the go-to converter. Its about as universal as you can hope for, although I dont think any converter is completely universal - pen companies are happy to agree on a standard cartridge but when it comes to converters all bets are off. The K5 will fit most pens that accept a standard long cart.

I make my living in the computer industry. We have a saying that "God must love standards - he gave us so many".

#23 SpecTP

SpecTP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 21:58

Did you get an especially good price to get a dozen, or did you just need a dozen? The next pen show I hope to go to will be the one on Long Island in April, and I can probably wait if I can get a good deal....

I don't know if it was an especially good price.. $4/per converter. I have many pens that use that converter and it was more convenient to get enough for the convenience of not having to clean/swap out whenever I want and some for spares.

#24 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 22:04

I agree. :)  I have a converter for all of my pens that use one so that I don't have to clean and swap in converters.  :)

#25 RonE

RonE

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2018 - 14:12

Schmidt makes a good one, cheaper than the rebranded Schmidt's. Yaffa is kind of cheaply made but they dissemble easy to grease and clean.

#26 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2018 - 23:00

Schmidt K5 is perfectly fine. It's not fancy or super premium feeling, but it gets the job done and I've found them to be very smooth and reliable.

I think the best included converter has been from conklin and monteverde - the threaded SI converter is just the best idea since sliced bread.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#27 petrisz

petrisz

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:05

I like Diplomat, but I don't know whether they make it themselves or is it a rebranded Schmidt...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: converter

Sponsored Content

|