Who Makes Better/best International Converters?

tvradio

Are there any generally recognized international/universal converters that are better built, fit better, etc?

A quick look online shows international converters by Baoer, Conklin, Cross (proprietary?), J Herbin, Jinhao, Kaweco, Pelikan, rotring, Tombow, and Visconti, and others. (And I've read that Waterman converters should work in other pens - though not necessarily vice versa).

Are any of these best-of-breed converters to put to the top of the list?

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tvradio

• Pentode

• Mulrich

• SpecTP

Schmidt, a company that pretty much makes them for everybody else.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

+1 and Waterman brand is good one too...in european size conector (Size conector= called Converter's mouth also)

Would that be the K5 model that's everywhere (eg Goulet, Jetpens) for $5?

Yes, the Schmidt K5 is sort of the go-to converter. Its about as universal as you can hope for, although I dont think any converter is completely universal - pen companies are happy to agree on a standard cartridge but when it comes to converters all bets are off. The K5 will fit most pens that accept a standard long cart.

Schmidt also makes convertors for most of the major brands, but to those manufacturers specs so theres still no guarantee of universality. As Bobje points out; when you buy a Pelikan/Waterman/Kaweco/etc... convertor, youre buying a re-branded Schmidt.

The K5 fits in just about all of the international cart pens I own.

Edited by Pentode

Yes, the Schmidt K5 is sort of the go-to converter. Its about as universal as you can hope for, although I dont think any converter is completely universal - pen companies are happy to agree on a standard cartridge but when it comes to converters all bets are off. The K5 will fit most pens that accept a standard long cart.

Schmidt also makes convertors for most of the major brands, but to those manufacturers specs so theres still no guarantee of universality. As Bobje points out; when you buy a Pelikan/Waterman/Kaweco/etc... convertor, youre buying a re-branded Schmidt.

Hi TVRadio,

Ditto this. The ubiquitous K-5.

- Anthony

EDITED to add Pentode's quote.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I was thinking about the same question this afternoon. I know Schmidt is well loved but I think my pick is a MB. The MB converter includes a tiny spring that keeps the ink from collecting on the bottom of the converter. I dont have extensive experience with this converter but I like it.

I can’t prove that Schmidt doesn’t make them but the Waterman converter is quite different from the K5 and I prefer the Waterman. I like the more elastic piston seal and it’s the tiniest bit slimmer making it fit in a couple of my pens that won’t take a K5.

+1. Schmidt is my go-to guy, and I haven't seen any negative review on it. The K5 is probably the best converter in its price range.

I can’t prove that Schmidt doesn’t make them but the Waterman converter is quite different from the K5 and I prefer the Waterman. I like the more elastic piston seal and it’s the tiniest bit slimmer making it fit in a couple of my pens that won’t take a K5.

The Schmidt is $5, the Waterman around $8 - not a huge difference, so I might get one of each. Thanks.

It's a shame the Waterman converter doesn't work on their own older pens :headsmack:, which require the one with metal threads; just a heads up for Waterman users.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

There have been several Waterman variants over the years. Theyre each a little different, but they all seem to work well.

One of my Waterman converters leaks past the gasket a little, but its old and thats to be expected. Converters dont last forever.

Edited by Pentode

I find that Rotring has a really secure connection, and also fills the fullest in one attempt the best compared to Pelikan, Lamy, and the cheap translucent converter used in the original modern Conklin pens, and Monteverde, as well as a few Chinese pens.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Is that the $14 piston converter you're referring to?

Probably. I got one with a MB pen and never bought one separately. I have a few other converters that work similarly, including a Schmidt, and for the money thats probably the best option. I do think the little spring in the MB makes a difference though, so if youre looking for the best option it may cost more.

Edit to add, Ive never tried a MB converter in a non-MB pen so I dont know if the threads would be problematic on other brands. I think I read that the threads dont make a difference but I dont have personal experience.

Edited by Mulrich

I have a couple of S T Dupont converters. One can distinguish them from a Schmidt K5 by the characters "S T Dupont" nicely engraved (on the Schmidt K5).

Buy a Schmidt by paying attention to converter fit, not price.

X

I find that Rotring has a really secure connection, and also fills the fullest in one attempt the best compared to Pelikan, Lamy, and the cheap translucent converter used in the original modern Conklin pens, and Monteverde, as well as a few Chinese pens.

Hm, they're even more expensive than the Waterman converters - $9-$15 apiece on ebay/Amazon, depending on the dealer and bundle.

Are there any generally recognized international/universal converters that are better built, fit better, etc?

A quick look online shows international converters by Baoer, Conklin, Cross (proprietary?), J Herbin, Jinhao, Kaweco, Pelikan, rotring, Tombow, and Visconti, and others. (And I've read that Waterman converters should work in other pens - though not necessarily vice versa).

Are any of these best-of-breed converters to put to the top of the list?

The ubiquitous Schmidt K5...........Barring that..me favorite would be the Parker Buck Rogers fountain pen converter c. 1960's

Fred

.....Use a facts and circumstances test to see whether deduction should be allowed.....

Title 26 U.S. Code162

(a) In general there shall be allowed as a deduction all ordinary and necessary expenses paid or

incurred during the taxable year in carrying on any trade or business..including.....

{eg luxury pens deducted by pen salesman v lawyer writing legal opinions}

Still your friend and mine.....

• 5 weeks later...

Follow-up: I got one Schmidt converter on amazon for $5 and it works fine. (Currently $6.45 there.)

I also used one of my included Jinhao converters in another pen - not as robust as the Schmidt, but so far so good.

I was considering also getting a Waterman converter but while sitting in my amazon cart it went up from $8 to $12. So I put in on my wishlist and will consider getting it if/when the price drops.