Fp Technologies That You Want To Return

BEEG

So, after I started my exploration into the world of fountain pens I found a lot of interesting improvements that never got popular and died out without a lot of fuss...but are there some that you want to see again.

My favorite is the snorkel filling system made by Schaeffer, really neat and clean way to fill up your pen imho.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• kestrel

• inkstainedruth

• Carrau

Snorkels are fun pens to use. But the overly complex system makes for a pen that MUST be restored by someone who knows what they're doing. And as for keeping the nib clean? That works for filling -- for flushing the pen, though, not so much....

Me? I'd not be averse to a return of the capillary fill system on Parker 61s. They hold a LOT of ink, and I wrote for four MONTHS on just reconstituting the ink left in the filler with a little distilled water as needed (until the ink was so diluted as to be illegible on the page).

But every fill system has plusses and minuses.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

fpn_1516317582__rubegoldberg.jpg

Restoring a snorkel with a reference to Rube Goldberg:

https://munsonpens.wordpress.com/2007/12/21/rube-goldberg-ink-delivery-machine/

I assume most readers of this blog have no knowledge of Rube Goldberg:

http://www.spotonline.co.za/rubesguidetoprocessing

NB: a fountain pen may be substituted for the cigar and the customer signs the order.

Id like to see bulb fillers or Ingersoll's twist filler come back. Speaking of which, lever fillers are almost non existent today and was the go to filling method back then.

I would like to see a re-release of the Gate City New Dunn...or just another company doing a Dunn filler

I got my first touchdown filler about a month ago because Peyton Street Pens was having a seconds sale when I was buying a Ranga. I haven't figured out (or bothered to google) how it works, but its fun to work the pump and hear the swish noise.

Yet another Sarah.

I'm with Ruth on the Snorkel. While it's a cool idea, it just seems to add an exponential layer of mechanical complexity to the simpler and more straight-forward Tip-dip system (which is actually pretty complex itself compared with a simple lever-filler). I wouldn't mind seeing other makers run the feed channel through the center of the feed like that, though.

I would like to see a return to Parker-style squeeze converters, not the fully-enclosed one with the small squeeze bar on the side but the more open one with the long U-shaped squeezer. That would eliminate the space wasted on the twist mechanism.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

...I assume most readers of this blog have no knowledge of Rube Goldberg:

http://www.spotonline.co.za/rubesguidetoprocessing

Hi Dickkooty,

If it's ANY comfort to you... I was already familiar with Rube Goldberg and his mechanical marvels. :D

Hi all,

I hate to sound like a crank... but I'm actually kind of happy where we are... I don't want complex filling systems that are a royal PITA to clean and maintain... I'm happy with our simple and direct c/c and piston filler systems.

I'm happy with the wide range of durable materials, colors, finishes and textures that are available today.

I guess the only lament I have are the nibs... not the real early ones that had no tipping at all... but the nibs from the previous heyday of pens... the '40s to middle '60s... when gold was cheap... true flex was a real option... and Esterbrook's Select-a-Point was a true to life Fantasyland. :cloud9:

Be well all and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

I wouldnt mind seeing button fillers make a return, personally. In a button or a lever filler there really is very little that can go wrong.

Id also like to see companies that are using plastic feeds return to the use of hard rubber.

...Id also like to see companies that are using plastic feeds return to the use of hard rubber.

Yeah,... I'd like to see more ebonite feeds as an option, too. :thumbup:

- Anthony

I have been very happy to see the new Conklin company resurrect the crescent filling system. I know other brands made a model or two with it (thank you Visconti) but it deserves more opportunities to impress. Simple, reliable, holds a lot of ink.

Ditto the Duofold style button filler. Simple, reliable, holds a lot of ink.

I concede that cleaning the pen is a little more time consuming and replacing the sac every few years can be a chore but I think the trade offs are worth it.

Concur with chromantic and Ruth about the snorkel. Really cool idea but it is the equivalent of duck hunting with heat-seeking missiles.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I like the aerometric fillers from Parker, specifically the ply-glas version. They are easy to use (maybe not quite as easy to clean), and most are still going strong 60 or more years later!

I'll have to agree with Fullfederhalter's proposal of the aerometric filler with ply-glass sacs.

When I first started using old aerometric pens as a schoolkid, I disdained them. I thought they seemed rather flimsy. Time and experience has changed my mind. As the years went by, I saw how those little plyglass sacs just kept chugging along, while my piston seals failed and my converters fell to pieces and the cartridge puncture nipples on some pens wore down to stumps. The aerometrics just kept on writing as if no time had passed at all between my childhood and today. It's surreal.

Today, the aerometric is my favorite filling system (though I will admit to having the occasional passionate fling with a certain CON-70... ;) )

I wouldnt mind seeing button fillers make a return, personally. In a button or a lever filler there really is very little that can go wrong.

Id also like to see companies that are using plastic feeds return to the use of hard rubber.

+1

Khan M. Ilyas

I wouldn't mind seeing other makers run the feed channel through the center of the feed

The Cross Townsend's feed works in much the same way as the Snorkel's (minus the snorkel tube).

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

No one wants the lever filler back. That in itself is interesting. :-)

I wouldn't mind seeing the P61 system come back. Nice for that favourite pen that is always fired up with Waterman Blue (or whatever your official correspondence pen of choice happens to be). Now if modern tech could be brought to bear to create an **easily cleanable** capillary system.... that would be the apian patellae.

And I agree wholeheartedly that the aerometric is a lovely system. One reason I have a boxful of Parker 51 aeros!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I've found the Pelikan Level to be incredibly convenient and easy to use. If the technology was developed a little further, to be easier to clean and flush, and was available with a greater variety of nibs and bodies that would be cool.

More art than technology, but I'd like to see "trimmer" tipping (vs. "blobby") make a come-back.

I appreciate the reliability of squeeze fillers, but for some obscure reason I don't like to use them.

I do like the Snorkel, and have found it to be durable and reliable.

No one wants the lever filler back. That in itself is interesting. :-)

GoldenNibs mentioned lever fillers in post #4 :) . Speaking of which, I'd like to see a return of the quality of many vintage J-bars in the current replacement J-bars. And wouldn't it be nice to have the punched lever-stop on replacement J-bars for Esterbrooks?

Edited by Tweel

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I've found the Pelikan Level to be incredibly convenient and easy to use. If the technology was developed a little further, to be easier to clean and flush, and was available with a greater variety of nibs and bodies that would be cool.

i agree wholeheartedly.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.