Is This Lamy Alpine White, And Is It Real?

vanarts

Hi,

I've just bought this Lamy Safari pen on the internet from a seller in Germany. It is white, has a black clip, a black finial and a black MK nib (I have no idea what MK means). The details look sharp and clean everywhere (as in nothing sticks out from any edge); however, I can't help but notice a few things that make me feel suspicious, so I took some photos of the pen in comparison with my Safari neon coral:

- The finial has a small round hole in the middle of the cross, but there is also a little but long hole in the groove that runs around the base of the clip. I read that old generations of Lamy Safari had this long hole but no hole on the finial. This pen got both.

25889263288_7d4cc727e8_z.jpg

27982530979_465f74ff7a_z.jpg

- The bottom of the barrel looks sharp, but the round groove is a lot shallower than that of the current Safari:

25889255328_d6ff1901a3_z.jpg

- The pen length with cap on is 1mm to 1.5mm shorter than the current Safari:

39051519674_9ddc593dac_z.jpg

- The triangle in the middle of the letter A of the logo is a bit shorter than that on the Safari neon coral:

39051509954_15c6f3cc51_z.jpg

Since I am no expert in Lamy pens, I cannot conclude whether this pen is real or fake. I would very much appreciate your opinions and assessment. If it is a real one, is it the Alpine White?

Thanks!!!

Edited by vanarts

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vanarts

• pen2paper

• Astronymus

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just compared my white vs alpin griso red yellow.

All except alpin have a hole in the top, Griso aplin bith shallow bottoms.

My aplin Is slightly shorter. The body is identical length, the cap is too.

So how the cap fits may be the issue? The o-ring may have compressed?

And, the cap is heavier, with some sort of metal at the top. The only cap with no hole. The color is exact. You can't mistake Alpin for new white. What I believe I'm seeing is both your pen & mine are legitimate Alpin, however mine may have had a sturdy cap repair??? I've had it for a long while now, but did purchase it as whole & original, not repaired. Hoping Christof will chime in and note this is accurate for Alpin. Otherwise I need to know in the event my rainbow of Safari's pass to another collector.

And, the cap is heavier, with some sort of metal at the top.

Old Safaris used to have a real metal screw on top. Bronze or brass, I think. This allowed actual easy disassembly of the cap.

a black MK nib (I have no idea what MK means).

MK - "Mittlere Kugelfeder". More forgiving on the angle the writer holds the pen. Discontinued, but still alive in form of the "A" nib: "Anfänger", means "Beginner".

Old Safaris used to have a real metal screw on top. Bronze or brass, I think. This allowed actual easy disassembly of the cap.

And, the cap is heavier, with some sort of metal at the top.

Thank you very much! I just shone the flash on my phone on the inside of the cap and saw that brass screw. Does that suffice as a proof of authenticity?

Thanks for weighing in on this. I do think I see a dot of metal in the other early ones, but my Alpin cap is noticeably heavier with the brass inside more visible, also unlike the other early examples no hole. The cap is tight & secure, I don't see glue. The Alpin color matches 100%. Puzzling. Perhaps for the very reason they had the easy to replace brass, it was repaired, perhaps even by Lamy? unless mine is early prototype. Which I Seriously doubt, though it did come from someone in that region.

edit to confirm to vanarts yours with the cap hole looks even more legit than mine ;-) If you place yours next to a new white there should be a subtle color difference.

Edited by pen2paper

Does that suffice as a proof of authenticity?

That I don't know. But there are some experts in the forum.

If you place yours next to a new white there should be a subtle color difference.

Yes, I confirm this. The color is more like greyish white, not snow white :).