Ebonite Pens You Have Or Recommend As Of 2018

IndigoBOB

I'm a little surprised that the Namisu garners barely a mention...

We probably need some more pictures.

I was not aware that they existed until now.

post-135048-0-81628400-1517046355.jpg

This one looks very nice in red ebonite. (One black ebonite pen is enough for me)

I like that I can get one that's only a hair over 5" capped.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• IndigoBOB

• ReadyFireAim

• Aysedasi

We probably need some more pictures.

I was not aware that they existed until now.

attachicon.gif famous-Japanese-fountain-pen-NATSUME-inspired-by.jpg_350x350.jpg

This one looks very nice in red ebonite. (One black ebonite pen is enough for me)

I like that I can get one that's only a hair over 5" capped.

The pen in your picture is an Eboya Natsume. I have a small and a medium Natsume. Eboya (Nikko) is the last ebonite producer in Japan.

Eboya Natsume next to a Pelikan 200, Pilot Custom Heritage 92 and Sailor Pro Gear Slim:

http://www.fototime.com/74BAE86B3D540F7/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/CA8B84C52AA174F/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/1FB339D88518491/medium800.jpg

My medium size Natsume is in Tanshin red.

My large Eboya eyedropper, in red (MF nib) just arrived. It is absolutely beautifully made. I haven't inked it yet, so can't comment on the writing.

• 2 months later...

The one ebonite pen I have at present is a Noodler's Konrad. I use it attempting to improve my penmanship, in conjunction with a seyes notebook. I too enjoy the feel of the pen, and also find it mysteriously easier to write with than non-ebonite, even though it is narrower than my preference. ASA Maya was ordered last week.

Thank for the phots KdS!

Add lightness and simplicate.

A few vintage ebonite and lots of old ebonite but as Navin Johnson said; "Enough of this Old Ebonite, bring me some New Ebonite!"

I have been particularly impressed by the Eboya fountain pens and of course my Urushi coated ebonite pens.

http://www.fototime.com/CA8B84C52AA174F/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/E5C55BBB4D02DDB/large.jpg

Lovely collection, I think blue and green are very pretty matches to black ebonite, I most enjoy the blue ripple from vintage watermans, but yours look great as well.

For the op if he wants modern pens eboya seem to be fairly good value on the new market that can be had with c&c and Ed models. I enjoy sailor ebonite kop most however, although it doesn't have any standout features from ebonite perspective. The aforementioned danitrios are also very elegant Imho, albeit it's not possible finding new raw ebonite afaik. Their cheapest pens are now plain urushi, which is made on ebonite. If you delve into that space you might enjoy those as well.

While my Triveni Jr. is somehow ruined with the #6 nib I will make due. It is true not much flexing will railroad it.

39643171770_926c4d5ec6_k.jpg

40736945384_645566e217_k.jpg

While my Triveni Jr. is somehow ruined with the #6 nib I will make due. It is true not much flexing will railroad it.

FPR sells a suitable flex ebonite feed. $3. Might help?

Add lightness and simplicate.

The one ebonite pen I have at present is a Noodler's Konrad. I use it attempting to improve my penmanship, in conjunction with a seyes notebook. I too enjoy the feel of the pen, and also find it mysteriously easier to write with than non-ebonite, even though it is narrower than my preference. ASA Maya was ordered last week.

Thank for the phots KdS!

U r welcome.

Edited by KdS

What is the downside of the #6 nib? I have not tried an ebonite pen or much flexing (had a Konrad I couldn’t get into and gave away), so I am probably missing something.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

What is the downside of the #6 nib?

The smaller nibs flex better and are easier to feed.

I did a lot of messing around with the #6 and just couldn't get it equal the #5 (or number 2 if you use Noodler's system)

Ah. Thanks for the info!

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

• 2 weeks later...

Those Eboya's are beautiful. Too bad I discovered them after their discontinuation of eyedropper fillers.

A few vintage ebonite and lots of old ebonite but as Navin Johnson said; "Enough of this Old Ebonite, bring me some New Ebonite!"

I have been particularly impressed by the Eboya fountain pens and of course my Urushi coated ebonite pens.

http://www.fototime.com/CA8B84C52AA174F/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/E5C55BBB4D02DDB/large.jpg

Unless I miss a request from the OP to only show modern ebonite pens, I am surprised at the lack of vintage ones shown in this thread.

Vintage woodgrain ebonite is probably my most favorite pen material. For example:

37437287780_7ca82c0ffd_c.jpg

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

That's a beauty. Very nice picture.

I just picked up a Triveni-Ebonite-M with the sale going on now.

I've had my Himalaya-Ebonite-M inked eyedroppered with Noodler's Black and it's such a pleasant writer.

I've been using these of my collection:

An FPR Himalaya, Ol' reliable.

Ranga Model 3 customized, shortened.

I bet you can't guess which is the wetter of the two ; )

post-138369-0-40096800-1525666351_thumb.jpg

Edited by IndigoBOB

A couple of very quick shots of mine.....

Can you spare some thought on the pen? How much did you paid for it? How does it feel in hand? Is the writing experience good or bad? Thank you in advance!

• 5 months later...

So I just received the Ranga Model 3 and I think it might be a bit big for me. I found that it is top heavy when writing unposted, and much more so than I expected. Writing posted is out of the question for me with something of this size. For me the top heaviness has a clunky feel. I am definitely considering ordering a shortened Model 3 from Ranga.

If I choke up halfway up the section or more I find the top heaviness to be actually quite comfortable and it rests the top of the pen pleasantly in the webbing between my thumb and forefinger eliminating that clunkiness. However, I prefer to grip it at the flared end of the section.

And by the way, the section is very comfortable. I prefer a tapered section with a sharp flare like the one on this Model 3 because it wedges my fingers into place effortlessly. It is much easier for me to hold than the Zayante's section, but I will say the Zayante is much better balanced for me and felt just right. If the Zayante was sold with a section like the Model 3 that would be perfect for me.

The Ranga Model 3 is just a bit too big for me. It's a very solid pen and feels much sturdier than my FPR Himalaya. I feel the price difference between the two is accurately reflected in what you get for the money, both being a good value.

I did have a bunch of store credit with GouletPens so I went ahead and ordered a Conklin Classic Rainfall/blue-Fine. The Lifetime Warranty was attractive along with the beautiful looking design and color.

I disagree. I find the material does make a significant difference no matter what pressure you grip the pen with or what pressure you press down on the nib with.

I think Ebonite makes a substantial difference at any pressure you hold the pen with, especially for longer writing sessions where the hands can get oily or if your hands tend to get a little oily in general.

I use light pressure when writing most of the time since I have arthritis, which is why I transitioned into fountain pens.

I like ebonite very much for all the reasons which have been mentioned here, and I am fond of Ranga pens, among others.

Regarding the Ranga 3, it used to be my favourite Ranga size until the 8B came along. Both of them are now really favourites.

The tapering end of the Ranga 8B tends to shorten it a bit and changes the balance slightly.

The Ranga 3 can be customized to be shorter, just ask Mr. Kandan, they will be happy to accomodate.

The Ranga 8 is also a very nice model, well balanced but slightly thinner, check it for size first.

The Asa Genius is very similar to the Ranga 3 but comes shorter by default, it was designed to be a pocket pen. It's a lovely size in the hand, I only had a little trouble with mine with ink starving, and I had to work a bit both on the nib and on the feeder channel (ED version).

Here is a comparison Ranga model 8, 8B, 3C with modified section like the 8B, 4C. Note that the section of model 3 and 4 is identical, the barrel is different (it has a step down in the model 4).

fpn_1540060443__p1140772-3_ranga_8_8b_3c

Edited by sansenri