Arthritic Hands And Fingers

CraigR

Well, some days are better than others. I woke up this morning to a beautiful snowy landscape outside. Unfortunately, I also woke up with stiff and painful hands and fingers. I like to journal over a cup of coffee when I first get up in the morning. Today, I just couldn't make my handwriting very legible. Even printing was difficult. I take Tylenol as needed and usually my hands and fingers loosen up to where I can write well. Does anyone else experience this and, if so, how do you get relief?

Occasionally, when writing, my fingers and hands get numb. Kind of what we describe as going to sleep. I am wondering if that would be due to circulation or maybe the way I grip my pen. I regain normal feeling almost immediately when I stop writing and flex or shake my hands.

My wife says that if I would just wash dishes in hot water in the sink all my problems would go away.

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigR

• Randal6393

• DrDebG

• gshillitani

I think your wife is 100% correct and also use rubber gloves.

Oh, I see that there could be a secondary meaning. I thought at first your wife meant that you should stop using cold water, I guess she really means that you should start washing the dishes!

Something that works well for father is to sleep with his arms as straight as possible and to play the piano, an imaginery piano will do, also wear gloves whenever out in the cold.

Finally, find a tennis or rubber ball, squeeze it as fast as you can for at least a minute each day.

Edited by Parkette

My doctor prescribes Voltaren Gel and Lidocaine Gel for my arthritis. Works reasonably well, helps me sleep at night.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

My doctor prescribes Voltaren Gel and Lidocaine Gel for my arthritis. Works reasonably well, helps me sleep at night.

Best of luck,

Thanks! I haven't discussed this with the doctor yet. This morning was the worst it has been. I do have some cream that the pain doctor prescribed for a bout of sciatica last year. It is a compound of a number of things including lidocaine but maybe it would help the hands.

I have osteoarthritis in my left hand (and now one of my right hand fingers), and I am left handed. I have it at least one joint in each finger, and my wrist that are impacted. Two joints are completely occluded and stiff. So there are days . . .

Most doctors have told me that I am just getting old (I'm 63) and to take tylenol or motrin. Tylenol does not work at all to take the pain away, but Motrin works somewhat. Recently, I was given a prescription for Voltaren, and that works somewhat as well. I also wear gloves when I go outside, and finger gloves some mornings. I've tried the tennis ball strengthening, but that seems to wear the joints faster.

I've decided to take a little different direction with my arthritis. I have decided that I am not going to let it hold me back from doing what I want and need to do. I don't baby my hand, I just use it as I normally would. I write alot and have found that only fountain pens work for me. Gels and ballpoints take too much effort for long writing periods. I also do fieldwork for my consulting practice, travel extensively with my consulting and with the new charitable organization my husband and I started. I paint, knit, doing quilting, bake, do photography and a bunch of other stuff. I refuse to let the grass grow between my toes. With all that said, I think for me my mental attitude makes a big difference.

So, I encourage you to find the smoothest nibs you can find, buy a bunch of ink colors that you like, and write away. Think of it as therapy. And buy your lovely wife a dishwasher!

Edited by DrPenfection

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I have osteoarthritis in my left hand (and now one of my right hand fingers), and I am left handed. I have it at least one joint in each finger, and my wrist that are impacted. Two joints are completely occluded and stiff. So there are days . . .

Most doctors have told me that I am just getting old (I'm 63) and to take tylenol or motrin. Tylenol does not work at all to take the pain away, but Motrin works somewhat. Recently, I was given a prescription for Voltaren, and that works somewhat as well. I also wear gloves when I go outside, and finger gloves some mornings. I've tried the tennis ball strengthening, but that seems to wear the joints faster.

I've decided to take a little different direction with my arthritis. I have decided that I am not going to let it hold me back from doing what I want and need to do. I don't baby my hand, I just use it as I normally would. I write alot and have found that only fountain pens work for me. Gels and ballpoints take too much effort for long writing periods. I also do fieldwork for my consulting practice, travel extensively with my consulting and with the new charitable organization my husband and I started. I paint, knit, doing quilting, bake, do photography and a bunch of other stuff. I refuse to let the grass grow between my toes. With all that said, I think for me my mental attitude makes a big difference.

So, I encourage you to find the smoothest nibs you can find, buy a bunch of ink colors that you like, and write away. Think of it as therapy. And buy your lovely wife a dishwasher!

Thank you for your encouragement. I think you are on a good course of action and I can follow that too.

@DrPenfection: Now, that I agree with completely! Arthritis treatment is a catch-as-catch-can deal and everything sorta works somewhat with it. It is kinda like diabetes, everyone has to work out their own routine. And, like you, you can only let it affect you so much, so that you don't lose out on what makes your life worthwhile. In my case, that means I have to have enough mobility to keep up with two granddaughters, one 5-and-1/2 and one a month old. Lots of work and lost sleep, but so worth it.

@CraigR: I wonder ... Amazon is selling a number of handwarmers, some rechargeable and some the old Zippo lighter fluid type. I wonder if the heat might not help loosen up the hands ... Have to try that.

Enjoy, and best of luck to you,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

@DrPenfection: Now, that I agree with completely! Arthritis treatment is a catch-as-catch-can deal and everything sorta works somewhat with it. It is kinda like diabetes, everyone has to work out their own routine. And, like you, you can only let it affect you so much, so that you don't lose out on what makes your life worthwhile. In my case, that means I have to have enough mobility to keep up with two granddaughters, one 5-and-1/2 and one a month old. Lots of work and lost sleep, but so worth it.

@CraigR: I wonder ... Amazon is selling a number of handwarmers, some rechargeable and some the old Zippo lighter fluid type. I wonder if the heat might not help loosen up the hands ... Have to try that.

Thanks, I think I will try a hand warmer too.

I don't know about in North Carolina, but Costco here in Reno sells "HotHands" which are those packs that you open, shake in the air, and they get warm. On cold days, or when I need a little extra, I put one of those inside my fingerless glove (on the backside) and it helps some. I also hike alot, and I use them when I hike so that my hands don't get too cold and stiff.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 1 month later...

Late to the party, but the feeling of your hands going to sleep may indicate carpal and/or cubital tunnel problems. I just had surgery on my left wrist and elbow two weeks ago for the same problem, and I'll have to have my right side done when I'm fully functional again with my left. You might want to see an orthopaedic doctor in any case.

Good luck!

Washing dishes, Voltaren, Tylenol - they all work when my thumb joints are paining me. My GP told me that minimizing sugar is helpful, since sugar supports inflammation in the body. I do notice a difference if I've indulged.

The size and style of pen grip I use is also important. Right now Lamy Al-star/Safari/Vista work well for my grip, but it might be another sort of pen for you.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

In addition to the excellent suggestions already provided, let me add warm paraffin treatments, either done at home or in a spa...

This have rheumatoid arthritis, and get a manicure every couple of weeks just for the paraffin treatment... It helps me quite a bit, especially during the winter months...

Also, re: the possibility of carpal and / or cubital tunnel impingement, how do you hold your arms when you sleep? If you can keep your arms straight, you may find some benefit too...