Grinding Nibs To Stubs: Pendleton And Masuyama Experiences?

Trexton

Hey everyone, I recently got a Visconti pen that I really enjoy (Palladium broad nib), but I have also started to develop an appreciation for stubs and obliques, as they make my writing look a lot nicer. The only stubs/obliques/italics I have, however, are on relatively inexpensive pens and they don't provide me with the smoothest experience (and yes I'm writing with them properly, I promise!). When I judge whether or not I love a nib, though, my biggest priority is smoothness.
My question would be to people who have had experience getting round nibs ground to stubs or obliques: are your nibs smoother before or after getting them ground, and who might you suggest for a nibmeister? Also I couldn't find much information on the Pendleton Pens BLS modification, so if anyone has any experience please share :)

Thanks guys!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trexton

• tinta

• Bo Bo Olson

• stevekolt

PB...Pendleton Brown, turned my '90 Lamy Persona boring do nothing 18k nail OB into a very nice CI...cursive italic. His test writing. (the Imporium nib which don't fit my Persona :crybaby: ..is a great 'Springy' nib, better than modern MB or Falcon's. The Imporium is the second version designed also in 1990, but the Persona was then chosen. They are close in looks. The Persona was made for ten years....the Imporium came out last year.

If you decide to get a CI instead of a Stub, do send a couple of pictures of how you hold your pen that you want modified, in CI needs to have a more exact angle of hold than stub.

The Persona has nail nibs....and a nail OB has no line variation. The only obliques that have line variation are the '50-70 era German semi-flex ones. For nail, semi-nail and regular flex, as far as I can figure is for for left handers or left eye dominate folks.............there is if any, too little line variation to worry about.

A good poster said this, "Stub and CI are 100% always line variation. Semi-flex is line variation 'On Demand'."

The Persona has a spring clip...the Imporium not. The first year didn't have a little bump on the clip, the later ones do to prevent the pen from rolling off the desk.

I'd seen this pen in an Optometrist, who also sold antiques. I'd looked it up,...it was over my then limit of E/$ 70, but showed the picture of it in the computer to my wife.

Behind my back....mind you, behind my back, my wife went out the next day and bought it for me. :D

MAXrkr7.jpg

FWL4Clr.jpg

EIj4i9e.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I think this is going to be a rather interesting thread. Thanks for the question, it has been something I have been thinking about for some time.

Liston

All my FC pens have Masuyama nibs...love 'em. That said, I have a Pelikan M400 with a medium nib that has had Pendleton's BLS modification. I currently have a Parker Sonnet Cisele getting the same treatment.

All my FC pens have Masuyama nibs...love 'em. That said, I have a Pelikan M400 with a medium nib that has had Pendleton's BLS modification. I currently have a Parker Sonnet Cisele getting the same treatment.

How would you compare the Pelikan nib before and after the BLS modification? Is it smoother/ is it much more pleasant?

PB...Pendleton Brown, turned my '90 Lamy Persona boring do nothing 18k nail OB into a very nice CI...cursive italic. His test writing. (the Imporium nib which don't fit my Persona :crybaby: ..is a great 'Springy' nib, better than modern MB or Falcon's. The Imporium is the second version designed also in 1990, but the Persona was then chosen. They are close in looks. The Persona was made for ten years....the Imporium came out last year.

If you decide to get a CI instead of a Stub, do send a couple of pictures of how you hold your pen that you want modified, in CI needs to have a more exact angle of hold than stub.

The Persona has nail nibs....and a nail OB has no line variation. The only obliques that have line variation are the '50-70 era German semi-flex ones. For nail, semi-nail and regular flex, as far as I can figure is for for left handers or left eye dominate folks.............there is if any, too little line variation to worry about.

A good poster said this, "Stub and CI are 100% always line variation. Semi-flex is line variation 'On Demand'."

The Persona has a spring clip...the Imporium not. The first year didn't have a little bump on the clip, the later ones do to prevent the pen from rolling off the desk.

I'd seen this pen in an Optometrist, who also sold antiques. I'd looked it up,...it was over my then limit of E/$ 70, but showed the picture of it in the computer to my wife.

Behind my back....mind you, behind my back, my wife went out the next day and bought it for me. :D

Thanks for the information and the pictures! The line variation looks very nice, though you have MUCH nicer handwriting than I do! I probably won't be getting a CI (sorry to disappoint!) but an OB or stub is very tempting. You're lucky you have a Mrs who gets you pens too, I have to negotiate to be able to buy myself a pen!

I've only ever used Mike Masuyama. I'm biased. He's great, enough said.

How would you describe the nibs before and after being re-ground? I've had Mike work on a nib with terrible baby's bottom and he has made it write like a dream, and I'd like to use his services again but am just wondering what happens to a nib when it gets ground into a stub or oblique broad in general - does it become any smoother or does it sacrifice this a bit to provide line variation? A bit of a newbie in that respect so I'm looking for what to expect :)

Edited by Trexton

That is PB's handwriting, mine has gone from chicken scratch to Rooster Scratch.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have had four nibs ground by Pendleton, i think of which two are PBS.

PBS is what the name suggests. It does not have the greatest of line variation but it is very forgiving, which suits me best.

I have had only one EEF from Masuyama so I can't really say anything from personal experience. If I remember correctly he defaults to more precise and less forgiving CI grinds but is very responsive to special wishes.

In either case it's not overkill to descibe in which angle you naturally hold pen and even include a few photos.

Non notisi signi.

Pendleton has done 3 Pelkan, 1 Lamy 2000, and is working on 2 Montblancs for me right now. All his work for me has been terrific.

Glenn

I have had four nibs ground by Pendleton, i think of which two are PBS.

PBS is what the name suggests. It does not have the greatest of line variation but it is very forgiving, which suits me best.

I have had only one EEF from Masuyama so I can't really say anything from personal experience. If I remember correctly he defaults to more precise and less forgiving CI grinds but is very responsive to special wishes.

In either case it's not overkill to descibe in which angle you naturally hold pen and even include a few photos.

Thanks guys! I think I'll give Pendleton a shot, from the images I've seen the line variation looks just fine for my needs, and people have great feedback. I'll definitely provide some images to him of the angle I typically use, though it will be an oblique so that tells the tale a little bit. Probably won't send it away for a little while but when I get it back I'll try and remember to post some images of the results here or in a new thread :)

I think Pendleton could get line variation out of a brick.

Glenn

:lticaptd:

How true Glen!

To date, Pendleton has stubbed an 18c JoWo factory stub to go with my Franklin-Christoph 03 (sold a few months ago), four Kaweco Bock 14c nibs to fit a Kaweco Lilliput & two Dia2s (BB, B, B, & M). Not only has he brought out the best in each BLS (butter-line-stub) or CI grind, but he was able to "whisper" the cranky Bock 060 feeds to deliver the right amount of ink. No mean feat.

For me that meant pens set up on the wet side, for dry inks. I am planing to have Pendleton modify on a stainless M nib which will be slightly narrower than my latest 0.4 mm stub (ground from a 14c M).

In addition, Pendleton is a pleasure to work with. He is easy to reach & communicates with good humour.

Highly recommended! (no affiliation except as a repeat customer)

My avatar shows a side view of the BB, 1.00 mm. BLS.

Below are pictures of the BB & the first B nib modification (0.8mm. stub).

At one time I used to have three nibs ground by Mike Masuyama, now there is only one left, a nib I'm really attached to. (if you can get attached to a nib)

This nib is a Masuyama signature grind. I sent Mike a Sailor 14c. music (MS) nib that has a huge amount of tipping. He ground the 1.15mm stub into a 0.6 mm. cursive italic. From the above, this "round-nose" CI looks like a massive music nib. Viewed from below, the actual "writing edge" is much narrower, almost half the width of the original MS nib's "edge".

You can comfortably write flowing cursive all day with this italic. This nib, set in a burgundy/gold 1911 Standard, is a daily writer, dedicated to iron-gall & drier inks.

You cannot go wrong with either of these fine gentlemen at the grinding wheel.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Only had one grind from Pendelton and didn't end up keeping the pen (twsbi). I have had many high end pens tuned or ground by Mike M and have been exceptionally happy with them all. At one time he was the one that Coles of London sent all Visconti nibs with issues to be repaired.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thanks everyone for your input! I've been in contact with Pendleton and he told me Palladium nibs are a bit different than gold or steel, but there's a >85% chance that it will be a success. I was initially going to get an oblique but I think a stub will be a safer choice, given I intend to use the pen as a daily writer. I look forward to getting the nib back and showing off the results! ...as well as the pen it came on...

:lticaptd:

How true Glen!

To date, Pendleton has stubbed an 18c JoWo factory stub to go with my Franklin-Christoph 03 (sold a few months ago), four Kaweco Bock 14c nibs to fit a Kaweco Lilliput & two Dia2s (BB, B, B, & M). Not only has he brought out the best in each BLS (butter-line-stub) or CI grind, but he was able to "whisper" the cranky Bock 060 feeds to deliver the right amount of ink. No mean feat.

For me that meant pens set up on the wet side, for dry inks. I am planing to have Pendleton modify on a stainless M nib which will be slightly narrower than my latest 0.4 mm stub (ground from a 14c M).

In addition, Pendleton is a pleasure to work with. He is easy to reach & communicates with good humour.

Highly recommended! (no affiliation except as a repeat customer)

My avatar shows a side view of the BB, 1.00 mm. BLS.

Below are pictures of the BB & the first B nib modification (0.8mm. stub).

attachicon.gif bb+b 1-1.jpg

At one time I used to have three nibs ground by Mike Masuyama, now there is only one left, a nib I'm really attached to. (if you can get attached to a nib)

This nib is a Masuyama signature grind. I sent Mike a Sailor 14c. music (MS) nib that has a huge amount of tipping. He ground the 1.15mm stub into a 0.6 mm. cursive italic. From the above, this "round-nose" CI looks like a massive music nib. Viewed from below, the actual "writing edge" is much narrower, almost half the width of the original MS nib's "edge".

You can comfortably write flowing cursive all day with this italic. This nib, set in a burgundy/gold 1911 Standard, is a daily writer, dedicated to iron-gall & drier inks.attachicon.gif round-nose 1-1.jpg

attachicon.gif round-nose 2-1.jpg

You cannot go wrong with either of these fine gentlemen at the grinding wheel.

I envy that Sailor music nib. Though I would've left all that juicy tipping on personally! It's interesting though to see the transition though from the very wide nib to a more reasonable actual tipping size. I need to get myself a Sailor one day, heard great things about the brand, and my fiancee really likes hers that I got for her as a gift.

Trexton, if you are starting out in this wonderful game of pens, a stub will serve you better than an oblique.

That said, my own journey (almost 50 years ago) into writing with quality pens started out with a Pelikan 400NN with a outstanding factory OBB (making a line of about 1.00 mm wide).

I had no experience with italic nibs of any kind & did not know the difference between a BB & an OBB. It was just a great thick nib on a beautiful new German pen. I automatically adjusted to rotating my grip (section) so that my nib would make full contact with the paper & never looked back for the next 42 years, when I bought my first Sailor. So, starting out with an oblique stub can also work, though a regular "squared off" nib may make your progress easier.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Trexton,

Sorry for the delayed response. The Pelikan nib was good out of the box, but rather...boring. The nib that PB ground for me is as smooth as I could possibly want and the line variation is great. Which is why he has my broad nibbed Sonnet Cisele to work on. I got a great deal on the new pen with a medium (aka boring) nib, sent it to parker for their free nib exchange program, and off it went to PB. All my Masuyama nibs were purchased as a pen purchase from FC. Currently I have a broad HPS stub, fine HPS CI, an 18K medium stub, and a 14K fine CI. Pleased with all of them. Let us know how you like it when you get it back.

Edited by stevekolt

Trexton, if you are starting out in this wonderful game of pens, a stub will serve you better than an oblique.

That said, my own journey (almost 50 years ago) into writing with quality pens started out with a Pelikan 400NN with a outstanding factory OBB (making a line of about 1.00 mm wide).

I had no experience with italic nibs of any kind & did not know the difference between a BB & an OBB. It was just a great thick nib on a beautiful new German pen. I automatically adjusted to rotating my grip (section) so that my nib would make full contact with the paper & never looked back for the next 42 years, when I bought my first Sailor. So, starting out with an oblique stub can also work, though a regular "squared off" nib may make your progress easier.

Thanks! I think I saw you say something similar on another thread that influenced my decision for sure. I have one oblique that's good for the small bursts of writing I do with it, but I've realized a stub would be much better for everyday writing and just comfort, considering most of the pens in my current and future collection won't have the angle, so whenever I use the oblique it will feel different and take conscious getting used to. I appreciate you sharing your experience, as I said I've taken it to heart!