• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aditkamath26

• marcelo

• sandy101

• SoulSamurai

It is striking to me that most of the pens mentioned are way below the $800 budget. I wonder if that is because:

1. most of the people who have spoken up (like me) don't own the more expensive pens

2. after a certain dollar amount, most every pen will write very well and it is mostly about personal style

From those who have many pens, I still hear great things about how well the Pilot Custom 823 writes even when compared to much more expensive pens. But style-wise, you aren't going to mistake it for a Visconti Homo Sapiens made out of lava rock from Mt. Etna. Please correct me if I am wrong--I haven't owned very expensive pens. But I get the idea you can top out in performance around $300 and the rest is mostly style.

Style is more important to some than others.

It is striking to me that most of the pens mentioned are way below the $800 budget. I wonder if that is because:

It's not an $800 budget. It is a $100-500 dollar budget.

1. most of the people who have spoken up (like me) don't own the more expensive pens

2. after a certain dollar amount, most every pen will write very well and it is mostly about personal style

From those who have many pens, I still hear great things about how well the Pilot Custom 823 writes even when compared to much more expensive pens. But style-wise, you aren't going to mistake it for a Visconti Homo Sapiens made out of lava rock from Mt. Etna. Please correct me if I am wrong--I haven't owned very expensive pens. But I get the idea you can top out in performance around $300 and the rest is mostly style.

Style is more important to some than others.

The very best writers you will only ever find (way way) below $100. This is because

1) when you get above a low amount (around $20) the function of the pen is less about writing ability and more about brand name, limited editions, and special applications such as urushi applied to the barrel.

2) related to the above point, on all those pens that you see that are $$$$$$$ are using more or less the same nib as those found on the pens costing less than $100.

The Pilot 823 is a great pen, but the nib is just a larger version of that found on the Pilot Custom 74 costing around $50. While the filling mechanism may seem cute at first as well as being apparently useful as it holds tons of ink, I found that it quickly becomes a chore to fill and maintain that far outweighed it's benefits.

Visconti are mostly pretty junk - lovely made exteriors, if delicate and lacking QC, with a very poor nib and even worse QC. Visconti pens are most ideally suited for display above the mantelpiece rather than writing instruments.

Edited by Bluey

• 2 weeks later...

I guess someone needs to be the first to say it..... but you really should buy an Aerometric Parker 51 in addition to something like the Pilot 823 or a Pelikan.

The P51 fits all the requirements in the OP: it is an incredibly sturdy pen that usually has a stiff and smooth 14k nib. You could probably nab one in excellent condition for under $100 and it will most likely outlive your grandkids haha. The only possible complaints are that it has a hooded nib and can't take cartridges or a converter. The aerometric version as least has an extremely tough filler system that can handle modern inks without issue as long as you don't let them dry out inside.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• 2 weeks later...

T

Hello guys! I have managed to save quite a bit and by the end of March, I may have around 800 USD. Now I wanted to ask you which pen would be the best in the price range 100-500. My criterions are:

• Daily Writer: Preferably a stiffer 14k nib.
  • Durablity: Since I don't want to be spending for repairs, I want it to be pretty durable.
  • Gold nib: Since I am spending a nice amount, I would not take anything less than a gold nib.

I have already thought of buying the Pilot Custom 823 from Japan which will run me about 221 USD. Is it worth this price? Now I need a pen to accompany the Pilot. I have looked at Lamy 2000, Aurora Optima, and Sailor Pro Gear Sky. I have read about Optimas cracking so I am pretty much in doubt. Can we get a KOP in 100-500 USD? I also like the Visconti Medici but the price and QC issues put me off.

Thanks and regards,

Adit

The gold content generally doesn't have that much to do with the stifness. You can barely tell the gold content apart just by usage... So ignore the gold content when chosing a pen! A KOP nib is incredibly flexible- just watch Figboot or other reviews. Just letting you know.

I recommend the Pilot Custom 823 and the Pelikan Renaissance Brown. You should get decades of enjoyment out of each of these. Then start saving up to get into vintage Pelikan and Montblanc, using the time to educate yourself about these older pens. It is an effort that will be richly rewarded.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.