What Pen Should I Buy?

Aditkamath26

Hello guys! I have managed to save quite a bit and by the end of March, I may have around 800 USD. Now I wanted to ask you which pen would be the best in the price range 100-500. My criterions are:

• Daily Writer: Preferably a stiffer 14k nib.
  • Durablity: Since I don't want to be spending for repairs, I want it to be pretty durable.
  • Gold nib: Since I am spending a nice amount, I would not take anything less than a gold nib.

I have already thought of buying the Pilot Custom 823 from Japan which will run me about 221 USD. Is it worth this price? Now I need a pen to accompany the Pilot. I have looked at Lamy 2000, Aurora Optima, and Sailor Pro Gear Sky. I have read about Optimas cracking so I am pretty much in doubt. Can we get a KOP in 100-500 USD? I also like the Visconti Medici but the price and QC issues put me off.

Thanks and regards,

Adit

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aditkamath26

• marcelo

• Bluey

• marcusocasey

You should be able to get a new Platinum 3776 Century in your gold 14K nib of choice for under $80. Look on eBay. I have one and it's a workhorse.

I also have a couple of Custom 823s and they are great pens with big nibs and a huge ink reservoir. More substantial than the Platinum but also pricier. Are the 823s worth the price? You'd be getting a very reliable pen about the size of the Pelikan M800 for about two-thirds the price, so from that angle it's good value for money. But I would rate the Pelikans as more stylish. Also, some people don't like having to unscrew the blind cap of an 823 for extended writing. (But there's an easy workaround for that.)

I used to have a Lamy 2000 but, as much as I liked the design, the sweet spot issue turned me off and I got rid of it.

Can't comment on the other pens.

if you would like fine and precise lines and understated look, Pilot custom 823 in fine would be great (hard to beat). Second choice would be aSailor realo. For broader and smoother lines and something more luxurious but still classic and durable, you could go with Pelikan M800. These in my opinion are the best and the safest choices.

Edited by friedrichwild

You should be able to get a new Platinum 3776 Century in your gold 14K nib of choice for under $80. Look on eBay. I have one and it's a workhorse.

I also have a couple of Custom 823s and they are great pens with big nibs and a huge ink reservoir. More substantial than the Platinum but also pricier. Are the 823s worth the price? You'd be getting a very reliable pen about the size of the Pelikan M800 for about two-thirds the price, so from that angle it's good value for money. But I would rate the Pelikans as more stylish. Also, some people don't like having to unscrew the blind cap of an 823 for extended writing. (But there's an easy workaround for that.)

I used to have a Lamy 2000 but, as much as I liked the design, the sweet spot issue turned me off and I got rid of it.

Can't comment on the other pens.

Thank you!! I do have a Platinum 3776 century in chartres and its just great for me albeit a bit thin.

if you would like fine and precise lines and understated look, Pilot custom 823 in fine would be great (hard to beat). Second choice would be aSailor realo. For broader and smoother lines and something more luxurious but still classic and durable, you could go with Pelikan M800. These in my opinion are the best and the safest choices.

Thank you!! I am eyeing the Pelikan m800 renaissance brown.

I've been a bit obsessed with Sheaffer inlaid nibs recently, so how about an old Sheaffer Imperial or a new Sheaffer Legacy?

I've been a bit obsessed with Sheaffer inlaid nibs recently, so how about an old Sheaffer Imperial or a new Sheaffer Legacy?

I didn't know when I bought my Prelude, but Sheaffers are being made in China now (not sure if all models, though).

The nib is OK, but the quality of the body is subpar.

I didn't know when I bought my Prelude, but Sheaffers are being made in China now (not sure if all models, though).

The nib is OK, but the quality of the body is subpar.

That's a shame. I knew they'd moved production to China, but I hadn't heard anything about the quality. Oh well, you can still get NOS Imperials and it's relatives, with steel or gold nibs, on sites like PeytonStreetPens; it's where I got my 440s.

I can't speak to your other candidates, but the 823 is a fabulous daily writer. I had one in medium (it was in a purse that was stolen; I did not part with it willingly) and loved it.

Yet another Sarah.

For me it would have to be a Pelikan M800

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Metal Pilot Falcon, although you may find that a bit "thin" if you find the Platinum 3776 thin. I think the 3776 is somewhat chunky. Note that the Pelikan m800 and the Platinum 3776 have the same barrel diameter. The Falcon is 0.5mm less.

Thanks to all those who have replied. I am currently not interested in Sheaffers or vintage.

As for getting custom made, I do not have enough patience.

Bluey, I find only the grip of the Platinum thin. The m800, I have tried and it was quite ergonomic for me. Also, I dont much like the Falcon design.

Sailor 1911? Well within your budget, classy, comfortable to write with and well made.

Just a thought. I hold Pilots quality in pretty high regard but figured Id throw Sailor out there as another option.

For that budget;

montblanc 146

montblanc 149 (pre-owned)

graf von faber castell intuition/classic/anello

visconti homo sapien

Waterman Carène seems to tick all the boxes:

• Daily Writer: Preferably a stiffer 14k nib. - it's a stiff inlaid nib...but it's 18k gold
  • Durablity: Since I don't want to be spending for repairs, I want it to be pretty durable. The pen is build like a tank with great cap system that locks it on both ends of the pen
  • Gold nib: Since I am spending a nice amount, I would not take anything less than a gold nib. As I said - 18k gold nib
Edited by BEEG

I love my new 823. I can't imagine you could buy a smoother writing pen. And over 2 ml of ink? Fantastic pen. Just take the little rubber gasket out unless you are flying so you don't have to unscrew the blind cap all the time.

Edited by marcusocasey

The Cross Townsend might be a good choice. It's a nice pen and comes with a very solid 18K nib. It is a pleasure to write with - choose the finish you want, but I think the cheaper trims may have steel rather than gold nibs - so check the description. Cross pens also come with a lifetime warranty - so you can send it back to them for a repair if it breaks. That reduces your repair budget. Buy a convertor with it and you've got a decent pen that, in my experience, is not as fussy with ink as many others. I can put dry or wet inks into it and it seems to write well with both.

That said, if the Mont Blanc 146 is available within your budget (I don't know the dollar price) then I'd look at that too.