The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Battle Of The Wing Sung Piston Fillers

wing sung piston 3008 698 618

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:05

The Wing Sung medium nib writes just like the Pilot medium found on pens like the Prera or Kakuno. I like them a lot and bought 3 of them to put in my Lingmo Loreleis.

Oh it is tempting. Now I must decide on the black or teal which I find really classy and the demonstrator, which is useful.

Link to a post about ergonomics I made: http://www.fountainp...with/?p=4179072

Sponsored Content

#62 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:38

Oh it is tempting. Now I must decide on the black or teal which I find really classy and the demonstrator, which is useful.

As much as I don't like the look of demonstrators, with cheaper pens like these I usually get the demonstrator first just so I can tell what's going wrong if there ends up being problems. One demonstrator that is tons of fun is the Wing Sung 601!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#63 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2018 - 23:17

As much as I don't like the look of demonstrators, with cheaper pens like these I usually get the demonstrator first just so I can tell what's going wrong if there ends up being problems. One demonstrator that is tons of fun is the Wing Sung 601!

I totally get what you mean about the demonstrators and I feel the same way. Though the solid colored pens are beautiful, the transparency is a demonstrator can provide some on going entertainment when attention span is short. I find that on the 3008, the feed gets a little dry after writing for a page or so and needs a quick prime at that time to write wet again; I like to see that clearly to confirm my doubts.

Nib width: my 3008 in fine needed to have the times separated a little before becoming an appropriately wet writer. It's Nib width is like a medium pilot min now basically, which is how I like it. given that the 698 comes with a completely different kind of nib, I guess that a comparison between the 3008 and 698 can't be made. As such I will probably get a medium nib, hoping that it is wet enough out of the box and that I don't need to separate the times, a process which usually widens the line width a bit.

Finally, does anyone know if there is a difference between the 2017 and 2018 models of the 698? I see on eBay that they are both available for roughly the same price. I just wonder if there have been any changes in this year's model.

#64 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2018 - 17:19

The 3008 fine has become my everyday pen. It is so good for the price it's ridiculous. no other pen that I've encountered has a long thick barrel and is light weight like it, plus it's a piston filler.

I found that on cheap paper at work, it gets wider though and guzzles the ink so I just ordered a 3008 extra fine.

And because I like the 3008, I ordered a demonstrator 698 which I hope will become my EDC when I get it. I was tempted by the teal model but prefered to have a stiff nib, and having the ink slosh inside will be nice too. If I like the 698 I could always get a second one :)

#65 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2018 - 18:28

Finally got the 698 in clear with fine nib (2017 model). What I would say is that it is better built than the 3008, which sometimes feels like it will fall apart. The nib is more dependable and the flow was perfect out of the box (which was not the case with my F and EF 3008).

However, I would say the 698 feels more slippery (kind of like a Twsbi) and I don't know how to say this, but the 3008 feels more comfortable at a shallow angle, maybe because of the nib and feed physical dimensions, I'm not sure. The 698 has smoother threads but almost more of a step down (it's subtle). Also, the 3008's faceted barrel and less smooth body and section make it feel tighter in the hand.

For these reasons, I think I am preferring the 3008, though the 698 is objectively the better pen while the 3008 does require small nib adjustment out of the box. For someone not as picky as me, I would suggest the 698, otherwise, for me I will use both but with more preference to the 3008.

PS: Is it the same company that makes the 6539 and 3008, because those nibs look similar and they're both my favourite pens pretty much.

#66 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2018 - 18:05

Wing Sung 6xx belong to Gelin/Victo, a company which gained licence for using Wing Sung brand and it is relative to Hero.

Wing Sung 3xxx, I think they belong to Jinhan, a company which it said that it gained licence for using Wing Sung brand,too.

Which company makes the 6359? The awesome awesome al-star copy?

Thank you for sharing your opinions about the different nibs, I was curious about the gold nib too.

I value my 698 and 3008s highly because the nibs are easily swappable and the piston has proved to be solid. Although as Tefolium mentioned, the body of the 3008 is a shared design used by other companies, and Wing Sung simply lasers their logo on the nibs.

But still, for the price the construction is good. My 698 has a Kakuno F nib and it's my favourite steel nibbed pen so far, while my four 3008s are daily writers because they all have Lamy nibs. The turning knobs of the 3008 are more wobbly than the 698, but since the pistons are still functional I try not to worry too much about that.

The 618 is still en-route.

Which other pens have the shared body with the 3008? I love the non-slippery plastic and faceted feel.

Wing Sung brand was licensed to DIFFERENT companies.

659, 698, 618 → Victo got The 3 digit 6 Series.

Jinhan金韩 in Nanchang: Unknown Series.

Mingzhuo名卓 in Wuxi:9 Series. And I do not know whether it still get the license.

It is said that about 4 or 5 companies got the Wing Sung brand's License.

Same question as above about the 6359.

#67 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:53

MuddyWaters,

Tefolium already listed a couple of names in their post. And you can find WS 3008-like pens sold as unbranded, without a company name. So if you search for "transparent fountain pen" under 5USD, you'll be able to find the 3008 and pens that share several parts with the 3008.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#68 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,901 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:19

even in its home market , many of these are just sold as store brand or simply " Transparent Demonstrator Piston Filler fountain pen " with no particular model name, though check the specifics, the variation is intensely numerous, from hooded nib to Pilot style nibs to Lamy style nibs to the all encompassing No.5 , the section might be just plain circular or faceted / triangular , with or without trim ring. The piston might be locking or plain, the cap might be a screw in or snap on, then the cap might also include or not include an inner cap. And not to mention all the Color variation ( some time the whole pen, sometime just part of the pen ) ...

Anyway, I have very few interest in Demonstrator but I do got one of these, a no frill all circular ( including section ), no trim ring, no inner cap, screw on with a locking piston and a simple wire ( aka Lamy style ) clip and a oh so common Lamy style nib... what's I've found is since these OEM use ready parts , some of them might not fit all too well, so initially mine come with a transparent feed, it work just fine but I've found it somewhat less than snug fitted and could thus burp easily. I've swap in another similar black feed and it just fit way better and cure all issue ... so be prepared to experiment or some hand on with these, that stated, they are still great value. And I've hack mine with a Hero 58 two tone nib which write an Asian EF

Edited by Mech-for-i, 17 July 2018 - 12:32.

#69 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2018 - 16:36

even in its home market , many of these are just sold as store brand or simply " Transparent Demonstrator Piston Filler fountain pen " with no particular model name, though check the specifics, the variation is intensely numerous, from hooded nib to Pilot style nibs to Lamy style nibs to the all encompassing No.5 , the section might be just plain circular or faceted / triangular , with or without trim ring. The piston might be locking or plain, the cap might be a screw in or snap on, then the cap might also include or not include an inner cap. And not to mention all the Color variation ( some time the whole pen, sometime just part of the pen ) ...

This is one of the more frustrating aspects about these pens. It's particularly hard to know what you're getting at times, despite the pictures. For example, I got my 3009 after carefully examining all the seller's and reviewers' pictures to make sure I got one without a Lamy-style faceted section. Then the pen came with a faceted section! I guess the main market for such pens just aren't as picky as us addicts who take our pens seriously haha.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#70 LiquidInk

LiquidInk

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 00:46

Is there a way to hack the wing sung 3009 feed/nib into the wing sung 601a?

Im looking for a lamy interchangeable nib with a piston filler and pull off cap (not screw cap). Not sure if this combination had been made.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wing sung, piston, 3008, 698, 618

Sponsored Content

|