The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Battle Of The Wing Sung Piston Fillers

wing sung piston 3008 698 618

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 mknoblauch

mknoblauch

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 18:04

I just got my 698 Medium in the mail on Friday, and am looking forward to using it. Can’t read the included instructions, although I did figure out the piston lock and know what the silicone grease is for. Is it necessary for me to grease the piston before first inking, or should I just clean the nib and feed with a little soap and water? What did y’all do when you first got yours?

Sponsored Content

#22 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 18:24

I just got my 698 Medium in the mail on Friday, and am looking forward to using it. Can’t read the included instructions, although I did figure out the piston lock and know what the silicone grease is for. Is it necessary for me to grease the piston before first inking, or should I just clean the nib and feed with a little soap and water? What did y’all do when you first got yours?

I got the demonstrator version so I could see that the piston created a nice wide seal, signal that there was enough silicone grease on it. it wasn't exactly slathered with the thing, but I figured i'd keep the pen on a piece of cloth once inked up to check for any leaks.

Then I unscrewed the section, soaked it in water, dried it off, screwed the section back onto the barrel (took a peek inside the barrel, no dust or anything else), and inked it up.

No issues.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#23 matteob

matteob

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:25

How do these compare to the TWSBI Eco? Is the piston mechanism as smooth?

#24 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:47

How do these compare to the TWSBI Eco? Is the piston mechanism as smooth?

I just compared it to a 580, and there is hardly any difference. If anything, the 580 needs a bit more force close to the nib. Neither of them are jerky or require a lot of effort though.

#25 dan in montreal

dan in montreal

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 21:02

I was determined to not get any more Chinese pens, but I caved a got a WS 618. I liked the 398 and decided to add a black + gold trim 618 to my little collection. Initially, I was very pleased: smooth nib, somewhat interesting design (not a ripoff of anything precise, but something of an aggregate). So far so good on the first fill and for around two weeks (it does hold a lot of ink).

Then, ink on my fingers = cracked hood in no less that 2 places from the section ring. Strange, as the section was NOT overtight and I did not fidget with it. As are all my pens, it was handled gently and kept in a pen case.

It was relatively cheap, I'm not crying over it, but once again I marvel at the garbage quality of these plastics (memember the Jinhao 992?). Did I get a dud? Maybe, maybe not.  

I'll keep what's left of the pen for parts (if ever the piston on the 398 fails, or whatever). Now this was the black model. Maybe the translucent ones are better?

My advice: save your money and spend it on something else. Too bad, the design had someting going for it.

#26 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,902 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:16

Sad to hear that my 618 pink working with no fuss ... Hope the incident being one off and not general. Let see how it goes in longer term and extended period

#27 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:27

It was relatively cheap, I'm not crying over it, but once again I marvel at the garbage quality of these plastics (memember the Jinhao 992?). Did I get a dud? Maybe, maybe not.  

I'll keep what's left of the pen for parts (if ever the piston on the 398 fails, or whatever). Now this was the black model. Maybe the translucent ones are better?

My advice: save your money and spend it on something else. Too bad, the design had someting going for it.

Extremely sorry to hear about this.

Since I got it a couple of weeks ago, my 618 is in and out of my pen glass constantly. Such a nice fine, wet nib. And the acrylic seems to hold up well like the 698. I've only got for a couple of weeks but I haven't read cracking issues around the hood, and I've been reading a lot of reviews when I was deciding whether to buy it or not. I also browsed reddit, haven't read about cracking there either.

#28 dan in montreal

dan in montreal

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:54

Extremely sorry to hear about this.

Since I got it a couple of weeks ago, my 618 is in and out of my pen glass constantly. Such a nice fine, wet nib. And the acrylic seems to hold up well like the 698. I've only got for a couple of weeks but I haven't read cracking issues around the hood, and I've been reading a lot of reviews when I was deciding whether to buy it or not. I also browsed reddit, haven't read about cracking there either.

I know, I also checked around. Perhaps I really did get a dud. However, given its origins and a flurry of new models that have come out recently without a lot testing and dubious QC (the WS vac filler comes to mind), who knows. I'm glad yours is a good writer.

Edited by dan in montreal, 13 March 2018 - 00:14.

#29 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2018 - 13:36

I've got one of these coming in the mail which I hope turns out to be decent.

It's supposedly Wing Sung but no WS logo anywhere on the pen as far as I can see. Someone on eBay is selling these as Wing Sung "B698" but it has a different piston than the other models and a Lamy-style cap. It takes Lamy nibs like the WS 3008 and 3009 which is why I bought it.
Chrisrap52 has already done a video review of it.

T1BYd_XwFcXXb9RTPq-90-90.png

TB20Gkfo0fJ8KJjy0FeXXXKEXXa_!!2226312679TB2KcNbpjnD8KJjSspbXXbbEXXa_!!2226312679TB2tNNkpdbJ8KJjy1zjXXaqapXa_!!2226312679TB2ycRbpjnD8KJjSspbXXbbEXXa_!!2226312679TB2aM4ephPI8KJjSspoXXX6MFXa_!!2226312679TB2N5v7o0zJ8KJjSspkXXbF7VXa_!!2226312679TB2mvJKpbYI8KJjy0FaXXbAiVXa_!!2226312679TB2nGH4fBLN8KJjSZFpXXbZaVXa_!!2226312679

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#30 Jorge

Jorge

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 19:58

I know, I also checked around. Perhaps I really did get a dud. However, given its origins and a flurry of new models that have come out recently without a lot testing and dubious QC (the WS vac filler comes to mind), who knows. I'm glad yours is a good writer.

Just to report that I have just sadly experienced exctly the same as Dan: After happily using my new WS618 in solid black GT for over a week, all of a sudden ... inky fingers!!.

Inspecting the section with a loupe, I can see a very small crack in it.

Why, when and how it happened, I cannot tell for sure. Only strange thing I have noticed is that it screws into the cap with more effort than my two WS 618 demonstrators, which behave OK to date. As I took off the section to inspect it, the pen screwed smoothly into the cap, so I believe it has something to do with the section fitting too tightly into the blind cap. Just a guess.

#31 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:26

My green one of these arrived appropriately on St Patrick's day and I duly inked it up with Diamine Sherwood Green. Like the 3008, the pen is a wet writer and even makes my usually bone dry Lamy 1.1 stub nib write nice and wet. The EF nib mine came with was also a wet writer with great flow but had way too much tooth so it was removed within seconds after inking. The pen's construction itself feels very cheap, but all the parts work (so far). There was even some leftover plastic behind the piston that flops around when moving the piston.

There is, however, one huge unforgiveable design flaw that I need to warn everyone about: the nipple on the back of the feed and the clear part of the section that surrounds it jut out way too far into the ink chamber, a good couple millimeters. The result is that it's impossible to use up any of the remaining ink that is below the nipple, thus leaving a decent amount of ink stuck in the pen after you've used up the rest. You can't see this in any pictures when the pen is not inked because the feed and body are both clear. I discovered this when flushing the pen before use. It took lots of flicking the pen at various angles to get the rest of the water out. Once I get to the bottom of this fill, we'll see how I can get the remaining ink out.  :( Maybe the pens that are being offered on eBay as "Wing Sung B698" are missing this flaw, but everything else about them looks the same as this one I got, which is supposedly a Wing Sung but there is no brand indication anywhere on the pen. 

I've got one of these coming in the mail which I hope turns out to be decent.

It's supposedly Wing Sung but no WS logo anywhere on the pen as far as I can see. Someone on eBay is selling these as Wing Sung "B698" but it has a different piston than the other models and a Lamy-style cap. It takes Lamy nibs like the WS 3008 and 3009 which is why I bought it.
Chrisrap52 has already done a video review of it.

T1BYd_XwFcXXb9RTPq-90-90.png

TB20Gkfo0fJ8KJjy0FeXXXKEXXa_!!2226312679TB2KcNbpjnD8KJjSspbXXbbEXXa_!!2226312679TB2tNNkpdbJ8KJjy1zjXXaqapXa_!!2226312679TB2ycRbpjnD8KJjSspbXXbbEXXa_!!2226312679TB2aM4ephPI8KJjSspoXXX6MFXa_!!2226312679TB2N5v7o0zJ8KJjSspkXXbF7VXa_!!2226312679TB2mvJKpbYI8KJjy0FaXXbAiVXa_!!2226312679TB2nGH4fBLN8KJjSZFpXXbZaVXa_!!2226312679

#32 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,902 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:59

I believe what they mean is this is OEM manufactured by Wing Sung ;personally I am not too keen on all these colors ; I'll just sick with the 3009, though if and when the would give me a solid color version of the 3009 I probably would like one too ( s long they do not do that in hot teen neon green or something along that )

#33 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2018 - 13:34

I know what you mean about the annoying colors....they are definitely marketing toward the young.

I think the issue with the back of the feed on this one is due to the manufacturer taking the section design from a cartridge/converter model and just adding a piston assembly behind it. I'm pretty sure if I sawed the pen in half a standard Hero cartridge would fit perfectly over the nipple. 

One benefit this pen has over the 3008/3009 is the inner cap seal and the lack of a exposed screw that can rust in the cap.

Update: Just as I feared, the nib ran dry once the ink dipped below the top of the nipple. However, by turning the pen upside down and moving the piston until it was touching the back of the nipple, most of the remaining ink managed to make its way into the feed. Only a small drop of ink couldn't get used, so with some work it's possible to use almost a whole fill.

I still think I'm going to have to get a 3009 because I really hate the Safari-style faceted section.

Edited by TruthPil, 19 March 2018 - 05:20.

#34 Tefolium

Tefolium

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:20

Wing Sung brand was licensed to DIFFERENT companies.

659, 698, 618 → Victo got The 3 digit 6 Series.

Jinhan金韩 in Nanchang: Unknown Series.

Mingzhuo名卓 in Wuxi:9 Series. And I do not know whether it still get the license.

It is said that about 4 or 5 companies got the Wing Sung brand's License.

#35 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:28

I believe what they mean is this is OEM manufactured by Wing Sung ;personally I am not too keen on all these colors ; I'll just sick with the 3009, though if and when the would give me a solid color version of the 3009 I probably would like one too ( s long they do not do that in hot teen neon green or something along that )

There seems to be a couple different versions of the 3009 out now, including some with colored caps.

I want to get one of the original clear demonstrators ASAP, but it absolutely must not have the Safari-style facets on the section.

Several of the 3009 pens on Taobao have the faceted sections, so I thought I'd ask here. 

Is the one below the real facet-less 3009??

TB2TUtDb2MTUeJjSZFKXXagopXa_!!3192726313

TB2dq8Aj93PL1JjSZFtXXclRVXa_!!3192726313

https://item.taobao....id=559069968549

The seller's name actually includes Wing Sung in the title, so I thought it might be authentic.

#36 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:09

There seems to be a couple different versions of the 3009 out now, including some with colored caps.

I want to get one of the original clear demonstrators ASAP, but it absolutely must not have the Safari-style facets on the section.

Several of the 3009 pens on Taobao have the faceted sections, so I thought I'd ask here. 

Is the one below the real facet-less 3009??

https://item.taobao....id=559069968549

The seller's name actually includes Wing Sung in the title, so I thought it might be authentic.

The sections on mine are not faceted. This time I was careful to inspect the pictures!

#37 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,902 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:27

AFAIK, and my sample also, 3009 is just having an unadorned round section, no trim at all

#38 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:09

Thanks, one is in the mail.  :D 

#39 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:11

The sections on mine are not faceted. This time I was careful to inspect the pictures!

AFAIK, and my sample also, 3009 is just having an unadorned round section, no trim at all

Thanks, one is in the mail.  :D

My 3009 arrived today....dang it! The section has the three sharp facets! What a waste of time analyzing all those pictures. It's definitely a genuine Wing Sung 3009, with the model number, brand, and the Wing Sung pen through the circle logo as well. I guess they changed the design? 

Other than the blasted facets on the section, the pen is good and much better than that so-called B698 I got a couple weeks back.

#40 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:27

I was hoping that the 698 would have a wider section than the 3008 but it appears from pictures that this doesn't appear so.

I have a one month placement at a hospital and decided to try the 3008 as my main work pen. We will see how it works, and I am mindful of the relatively cheap plastic that is used so will try to be careful.

Link to a post about ergonomics I made: http://www.fountainp...with/?p=4179072

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wing sung, piston, 3008, 698, 618

Sponsored Content

|