Which Is The Most Underappreciated Montblanc?

eidola

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Jagamov

• LanceSaintPaul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Understated pens like Voltaire and Schiller are fantastic value at the moment, I recently picked up a spare Schiller for not much more than a standard 146.

The Great Characters, Alfred Hitchcock.

Can be purchased new 50% off MSRP today - photo's don't do it justice, its quite striking in person!

The steel wartime nibs.

Often considered a poor second to the gold nibs (when use of gold for nibs was forbidden during the war) - I was surprised how good they are. Still have a couple in my rotation and they get a lot of use. Great nibs.

Underappreciated. I've given some thought to this since your query is quite open for response.

Let's assume that POA and most 888, 88 & 8 releases...and other extremely limited releases are not part of this query.

My Writer's edition votes are the Schiller, Fitzgerald, and Twain.

My vintage MB votes are the 14 and 24.

Edited by niksch

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

I think the excellence of the WWII era stainless steel MB nibs is not a secret anymore. They don't seem to be any cheaper now than the immediate postwar gold versions, maybe because of rarity. But maybe some people still mistakenly reject them.

Even the 50s-60s Monte Rosa in steel is not significantly cheaper than the 342G and other lower-tier gold nibbed MBs, based on recent eBay offerings.

The Noblesse and Carrera get little attention but I don't know if they deserve more or not.

Underappreciated Montblanc pens?

Including any or only some limited edition pens?

Including vintage pens? — what do we mean by "vintage"? More than 50 years old?

Including stylos, pencils, ballpoints or even rollerballs?

Including different materials?

Including ... ?!?

So many possibilities which are so individual, especially if you include the vintage question.

I only can say which model of contemporary Montblanc pens is over-appreciated:

For me it is the 149.

And now please don't kill me a010.gif

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

I would suggest the MB22x series pens as the most under-appreciated. Good for me actually, I could buy several for good prices.

Wonderfully engineered, very functional daily writers, that hold well over 1.5ml of ink.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I think the 1912 is under-appreciated. A retractable piston filler? Wonderful spring nib and all-black silhouette

Also the Artisan pieces. Many find them to be unaffordable and hence they seem to think that equals not being allowed to talk about or admire them.

Some of them are just wow! We could spend hours discussing how they did this star or managed to etch that pattern.. but we dont.

Edited by Pravda

I would suggest the MB22x series pens as the most under-appreciated. Good for me actually, I could buy several for good prices.

Wonderfully engineered, very functional daily writers, that hold well over 1.5ml of ink.

These pens are really great and have some of the best nibs I've used.

The first starwalker for me is an understated and often dismissed pen . But amongst my friends it was there first Montblanc and started there obsession with the brand.

I saw a new Schiller a few years ago at a deep discount and regret not grabbing it... that's my only regret with MBs.

it would have made a great no-frills every day pen.

"Underappreciated" like "should get more attention and more ongoing discussions"?

• almost all non-Meisterstück pens
  • Meisterstück pens from the 20's and 30's (safety and push-button fillers) ... but most likely they are more rare and seen less often
  • for modern pens: Voltaire, Dostoevsky, Kafka, Dickens, Mann, Humboldt, Louis XIV, JP Morgan, Charlemagne, Copernicus, Starwalker

@Pravda:

Even I'm not in the position to purchase an artisan pen but still I'm interested in those pens. BUT information and pictures are also kind of rare so it is more to difficult to get some basics to start discussions about it. I really think it is a pitty that no commercial information is available on a broad basis. Some catalogues exist but it is difficult to get them all.

An factory online data-base or collection of pdf-catalogues (boutiques have them in paper but not as regular give-aways) would be so nice.

Cheers

Michael

@Pravda:

Even I'm not in the position to purchase an artisan pen but still I'm interested in those pens. BUT information and pictures are also kind of rare so it is more to difficult to get some basics to start discussions about it. I really think it is a pitty that no commercial information is available on a broad basis. Some catalogues exist but it is difficult to get them all.

An factory online data-base or collection of pdf-catalogues (boutiques have them in paper but not as regular give-aways) would be so nice.

Cheers

Michael

Yes agree with this. I would like to have more info and photos on the different artisan edition of MB pens. They are so nice and even if they are not in my budget it is always a pleasure to look them.

"Underappreciated" like "should get more attention and more ongoing discussions"?

• for modern pens: Voltaire, Dostoevsky, Kafka, Dickens, Mann, Humboldt, Louis XIV, JP Morgan, Charlemagne, Copernicus, Starwalker

~ Michael R.:

Thank you for including the POA Louis XIV in your list.

It's the polar opposite of every Montblanc fountain pen I use, all of which are black with minimal precious metal decoration.

Being silver-gilt, ‘vermeil’, the Louis XIV is prone to tarnishing.

It's seldom mentioned as a favorite pen, and not often included in lists, other than those seeking the full range of POA pens.

Such a pen, with its bright finish, bows on the nib, and flowers down the barrel, wouldn't likely be used in many public settings.

Yet there's charm to the Louis XIV, with a pleasingly balanced overall look.

When I noticed it in your list, I smiled, glad that you appreciated it, as do I.

While it's improbable that I'd ever own a Louis XIV, I have a soft spot for seeing or reading about one.

Tom K.

Glad you like it as well!

Compared to some of the more recent (also more flashy) pens, I consider the Louis even „classic“ with some vintage appeal. Only because it is gold in color does not mean it‘s not „understateted“ ;-)

I‘m waiting for a good deal to show up one day to purchase one gor myself.

The tarnish I even might enjoy as it can turn up in some interesting color variations.

Cheers

Michael

I would say it is the M by Marc Newson line. It's such a drastic departure from the norm that I don't believe traditionalist are ready to embrace the change.

I myself was not a fan of the original resin release, but became a huge fan of the matte M Ultra Black. So much so that I picked up 2 of them.